Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Must Be Kidding

User Info Menu

Default You Must Be Kidding

YES has been passed over for the R&R HOF again.
    Cheap Trick ? (appropriately named)
    Steve Miller ? (just as bad)

I'm sick....................

Hooray for Chicago and Deep Purple.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: You Must Be Kidding

I love Chicago.

the music industry blows my mind

User Info Menu

You sound surprised Ricardo. RRHOF has been pretty much a joke since inception hasn't it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    You sound surprised Ricardo. RRHOF has been pretty much a joke since inception hasn't it?
    No disagreement pocket...............I thought this might be their year.
    I still listen (often) with total appreciation :
    The Yes Album
    Fragile
    Close to the Edge
    Relayer
    Going for the One
    And selections from many other albums..................amazing.

But Cheap Trick and Steve Miller..................so cliché..............no imagination in composition.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I fear a lot of the prog bands will never make the cut. Yes is way too good for them. Rush should have been included long before they were.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

It's all crap anyway, NWA got in before Yes. That is much much more egregious than Steve Miller or Cheap Trick. Atleast they had hits? NWA getting in is strictly the RRHOF overly trying to be politically/liberally correct.
    Last edited by MDK; 12-17-2015 at 08:40 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I wouldn't read too much into it. There are many acts widely viewed as undeserving that in the hall, and many that are widely viewed as deserving that are not.

Johnny hit the nail on the head with prog being overlooked. I suspect it's because these bands, while appreciated by other musicians, tend not be appreciated by the masses.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    It's all crap anyway, NWA got in before Yes. That is much much more egregious than Steve Miller or Cheap Trick. Atleast they had hits? NWA getting in is strictly the RRHOF overly trying to be politically/liberally correct.
    I'm sticking my fingers down my throat........................VOMIT !

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Johnny hit the nail on the head with prog being overlooked. I suspect it's because these bands, while appreciated by other musicians, tend not be appreciated by the masses.
    Both the "HOF" and "The masses"......................unwitting & musically illiterate.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

The RRHOF is stupid!. It opened it's doors in 83! Put all the bands that have made an impact on music IN before there ever was a RRHOF and then go from that point forward with the voting. They named it wrong to begin with. It should be the Music HOF considering some acts that "get in". Even that's a stretch of a name

Go to any Hard Rock Cafe and there's probably Yes stuff hanging on the walls somewhere.
    Last edited by slinky; 12-17-2015 at 09:14 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

Cheap Trick is a great band. Steve Miller...eh.
    I never liked YES. Saw them in concert a few years back and it was one of the worst concerts I've ever seen. Chicago had some really bad years (the Karate Kid years) but they have the greatest horn section.
    You can't get too mad the Hall of Fame. It's subjective

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    Cheap Trick is a great band. I never liked YES.
    With all due respect, we will simply agree to disagree.
    IMO, that's like comparing Stravinsky to the guy who wrote HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

art is subjective.

User Info Menu

I'm sticking my fingers down my throat........................VOMIT !

Both the "HOF" and "The masses"......................unwitting & musically illiterate.
    True 100% How about bands like Spock's Beard - one of my fave drummer/guitarist/singer/keyboardist Nick Di Virgilio

I mention bands like these to the 20-30 somethings out here and its like I'm from an alternate universe for crum sakes!

Cheap Trick??? Really. me>>RRHOF
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

^^^^^ The quote above kind of touches upon the heart of the issue , IMHO, in that a whole lot more people sing Happy Birthday than Stravinsky tunes. Often, it has little to do with quality but, rather, what the masses apparently want. Not to say that there aren't some great, deserving artists in the HOF, there certainly are many. But those are the ones who somehow managed to pull off the amazing feat of producing quality music and have the masses accept it - or who produced mediocre music, but for such an exceptionally long time, that someone thought they deserved recognition - for stamina if nothing else.
    Last edited by ludleg; 12-17-2015 at 12:40 PM.

User Info Menu

If YES put out a few straight ahead rocking songs and got some hits as Steve Miller did then they too should qualify. After all it's called the "rock n roll" hall of fame. Whatever one's opinion is of Cheap Trick and Steve Miller, they ROCK!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I agree, Yes was/is a legendary band. They are talented, creative, and were instrumental in creating the progressive rock genre ... bummer ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I agree, Yes was/is a legendary band. They are talented, creative, and were instrumental in creating the progressive rock genre ... bummer ...
    Talented and creative perhaps but hardly "legendary". They were more of a fringe
    band.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Talented and creative perhaps but hardly "legendary". They were more of a fringe
    band.

all the best...
    Respectfully disagree ...

User Info Menu

Saw YES June 1976 at the old JFK stadium in Philly, 105,000 fans Peter Frampton opened for YES one of the best outdoor concerts ever, they had a phenomenal laser show that was state of the art at that time......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Oh no, I feel a rant coming on . . .

Cheap Trick is not a “bad” band. Rick Nielsen and the gang are an influential band, at least within musician circles and the music industry. Bands that have said Cheap Trick was as an influence on their music:
    Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, Gin Blossoms, Pearl Jam, Weezer, Extreme, Green Day, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kings of Leon, Hüsker Dü, Jet, Motley Crew, Guns N’ Roses, Kurt Cobain, Smashing Pumpkins. Even R&B/Soul artist Reggie Sears mentioned Cheap Trick to be a big influence. I guess they all pretty much suck too so Cheap Trick’s influence can be disregarded, right?

The band was one of Joey Ramone’s all-time favorites. Joe Perry, Gene Simmons, Angus Young loved Cheap Trick. Back in the day, British glam rockers Sweet wanted Robin Zander to join the band after singer Brian Connolly left. Listen to Poison’s "Talk Dirty to Me" – they said the main riff was taken from Cheap Trick's "She's Tight", and the guitar solo from "California Man". But the respect of industry peers isn’t really a good reason to formally recognize talent.

While Cheap Trick did get some radio play (and I Want You to Want Me remains a staple on the airwaves, even though it too presumably sucks) they never achieved huge mass appeal in the US, just like many of the really musically gifted prog rock groups. Surely that must make them HOF-worthy.

On the other hand, their extreme level of appeal in Japan has been equated to Beatlemania in the US. But that’s way over in Japan so it doesn’t really count. Of course, it could also be that substantial commercial success like that cancels out the prog-rock-style lack-of-huge-commercial-success required to be labeled “talented”.

Okay - I’m done with the sarcasm now. Actually, I’ve never been a big Cheap Trick fan but there is enough comment and evidence that they had an impact on the music we listen to, it can’t be denied. I did see Rick Nielsen perform with a symphony orchestra and his musicianship was insane. It might be that their talent was recognized more inside the industry than outside. Who knows. All I can say is, I think it’s okay they are in the RRHOF. I also think YES belongs. But let’s talk about this Steve Miller guy - I have an opinion . . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Saw YES June 1976 at the old JFK stadium in Philly, 105,000 fans Peter Frampton opened for YES one of the best outdoor concerts ever, they had a phenomenal laser show that was state of the art at that time......

Jim
    Wow. I never would have thought YES could draw a crowd that size. In the shadow of much greater bands like Pink Floyd, I would have placed them much farther down the list.

all the best...

User Info Menu

September 1987 saw Pink Floyd at JFK stadium in Philly, awesome concert and a mind altering light show also sold out 105,000 fans..... those were the good old days

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Oh no, I feel a rant coming on . . .

Cheap Trick is not a “bad” band. Rick Nielsen and the gang are an influential band, at least within musician circles and the music industry. Bands that have said Cheap Trick was as an influence on their music:
    Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, Gin Blossoms, Pearl Jam, Weezer, Extreme, Green Day, Soundgarden, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kings of Leon, Hüsker Dü, Jet, Motley Crew, Guns N’ Roses, Kurt Cobain, Smashing Pumpkins. Even R&B/Soul artist Reggie Sears mentioned Cheap Trick to be a big influence. I guess they all pretty much suck too so Cheap Trick’s influence can be disregarded, right?

The band was one of Joey Ramone’s all-time favorites. Joe Perry, Gene Simmons, Angus Young loved Cheap Trick. Back in the day, British glam rockers Sweet wanted Robin Zander to join the band after singer Brian Connolly left. Listen to Poison’s "Talk Dirty to Me" – they said the main riff was taken from Cheap Trick's "She's Tight", and the guitar solo from "California Man". But the respect of industry peers isn’t really a good reason to formally recognize talent.

While Cheap Trick did get some radio play (and I Want You to Want Me remains a staple on the airwaves, even though it too presumably sucks) they never achieved huge mass appeal in the US, just like many of the really musically gifted prog rock groups. Surely that must make them HOF-worthy.

On the other hand, their extreme level of appeal in Japan has been equated to Beatlemania in the US. But that’s way over in Japan so it doesn’t really count. Of course, it could also be that substantial commercial success like that cancels out the prog-rock-style lack-of-huge-commercial-success required to be labeled “talented”.

Okay - I’m done with the sarcasm now. Actually, I’ve never been a big Cheap Trick fan but there is enough comment and evidence that they had an impact on the music we listen to, it can’t be denied. I did see Rick Nielsen perform with a symphony orchestra and his musicianship was insane. It might be that their talent was recognized more inside the industry than outside. Who knows. All I can say is, I think it’s okay they are in the RRHOF. I also think YES belongs. But let’s talk about this Steve Miller guy - I have an opinion . . .

Great Rant, LOL Love it. An extra $5 if you can make a similar one about NWA.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

After all it's called the "rock n roll" hall of fame.

all the best...
    My friend, given who has been inducted into this fiasco, the "Rock and Roll" part of the RRHOF died a long, long time ago.

User Info Menu

band.

all the best...
    YES was certainly not a fringe band.