Thread: I watched a cool documentary last night.

User Info Menu

Default I watched a cool documentary last night.

It was called "The wrecking crew" and it was about all these L.A session players of the 50s,60s,and 70s. Players like Carol Kaye,Glen Cambell,Tommy Tedesco and drummers Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer and a host of other musicians and all the hit songs that they played on.

But the reason I mentioned this is because I think it was Kay Gee who said how he liked the bass playing on the old The Fifth Dimension - Aquarius-Let the sun shine. Well way late into this movie right after the Moma's and the Pappa's there's this guy actually playing the bass part to "Aquarius" and he's ripping on it..was really cool! Ya'll should check it out if you get a chance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I watched a cool documentary last night.

I'll have to check that out.

Where did you find it? Can I get it at the movie rental place?
    Or did you go online?

User Info Menu

It came on dish last night.. Right after Coal miner's daughter lol.. But yeah man it was made by Tommy Tedesco's son Denny Tedesco and it's called "The Wrecking crew". They played on countless records like all the beach boys stuff,The monkeys,Moma's and pappa's. Tommy Tedesco himself was a top tier player and that's him playing on things like the theme from "Mash" and a ton of other stuff. It also showed the saxophone guy who did the Pink Panther theme.

But they didn't show it but it was these same people that did my personal favorite the Hawaii five-0 theme! They were jazz players basically like the funk brothers from Mo town before them. But what I really like about them is that not only did they had the chops but it was their musical sensibility. Nearly everything that they played on was very musical. But not really self indulgent. Just jazzers who recorded so many pop tunes that they got really really good at it.

User Info Menu

I've seen it.....................good stuff.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yea if you have Netflix it's on there , along with some docs on Rush , the Eagles and of course Keith Richards .
    Hal Blaine talks about all the sessions he did and the Rolls Royce he had and then how years later , after his divorce , he wound up in Phoenix broke and working as a security guard ! The ups and downs of life .... man you gotta love it !!
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

good book too but a bit encyclopedic for a casual read

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Those were the days. I don't think the industry is like that anymore.