Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to replace BATTER vs. RESONANT heads?

User Info Menu

Default When to replace BATTER vs. RESONANT heads?

After some advice when to replace res heads. I use pinstripe remo skins, though I have replaced my 10" tom head in 8+ years, but the res head on it is mint condition. Should that be replaced, too?

User Info Menu

Default Re: When to replace BATTER vs. RESONANT heads?

I replace reso's every 2 yrs tops sometimes actually most of the time I go longer depending on how happy I am with that particular drum. I have gone as far as 3 years. Most guys I have talked to change them after every 2 or 3 batter head changes
    Last edited by MDK; 12-17-2015 at 12:29 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've had this debate with fellow drummers... I know guys who's never changed it. (depending on the kit of course)

Me I change mine almost every other time I change my batter heads

User Info Menu

Batter ....when worn out, dead sounding

Reso...if and when it should ever break

all the best...

User Info Menu

Reso heads are 1/2 your sound...and mostly what the audience hears from out in front. A high quality reso head makes a definite difference in sound over the factory reso heads. They don't see the impact abuse that batter heads do, but they do wear out. If you play by yourself, then you really don't need to replace reso heads. But, if you want the best sound possible, then I would change them.....I would say every 2nd or 3rd time you change batters (providing you actually wear out the batters and not just change looking for a different sound). That's my opinion, anyway.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Every 20 years

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    Every 20 years
    Whether they need it or not

User Info Menu

3 to 1..............batter to reso.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

There is no set rule . You change them out when you feel like it . I agree with the statements that the factory heads aren't that great and you are better off with a name brand head . As to when you should change them out....well that's up to you . If you need to ask..then maybe you should just change them . That's the beauty of being a drummer...you do it your way !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    3 to 1..............batter to reso.
    Or about every 20 years! LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

I replace resos because they take the same amount of impact as the batter head. It resonates from the hit of the batter head. I haven't replaced them in about 4 years though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

You had to ask, didn't you? This question makes me feel like a hypocrite because - despite the fact that I know how important it is to keep fresh resos on the drums - my current set is fifteen years old! Why? Because they still sound great. Not pristine, but still great. I'll get around to it eventually.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Hmmmm.......when you eventually remember to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Hmmmm.......when you eventually remember to?
    +1.

I've yet to get to a point, where I can tell an audible difference with a bad reso...................I've changed them periodically, just for the sake of changing them, but honestly I cannot tell the difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    +1.

I've yet to get to a point, where I can tell an audible difference with a bad reso...................I've changed them periodically, just for the sake of changing them, but honestly I cannot tell the difference.
    That's because in truth, there is NO difference. As long as the richer drummers among us can keep the head makers in business though, I suppose it's a good thing.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    That's because in truth, there is NO difference. As long as the richer drummers among us can keep the head makers in business though, I suppose it's a good thing.

all the best...
    Ha ha . I see where you went with this ....yup .

Rudy .

User Info Menu

If they still sound good, there's nothing that says you have to replace them. Do it when you have the budget or when you can't get a good tone from the drum.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    If they still sound good, there's nothing that says you have to replace them. Do it when you have the budget or when you can't get a good tone from the drum.
    Best answer

all the best...

User Info Menu

every third batter i replace my resonate ..maybe once a year or every 18 months

User Info Menu

A good measure for batter replacement is when there are too many "potholes" on the head for good playing, or when so much of the coating has gone, to facillitate brush playing. Of course new heads just look cooler!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks all for the replies!

Some good points here I've learnt.

User Info Menu

People actually use resonant heads?

Im kidding.. I seriously went 15 years w/o changing one.. If memory serves, I did try one as a snare batter once though.. lol

User Info Menu

Resonant heads do wear out, the air produced from the strikes on the batter have to travel somewhere after all. They both get worn out and don't work as well as they did when they were new, it's just it takes one side longer than the other. Every 3 batter changes is a good call for the reso change. I mean, would you keep walking in shoes with no soles in them just because you have something that fits?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Resonant heads do wear out, the air produced from the strikes on the batter have to travel somewhere after all. They both get worn out and don't work as well as they did when they were new, it's just it takes one side longer than the other. Every 3 batter changes is a good call for the reso change. I mean, would you keep walking in shoes with no soles in them just because you have something that fits?
    So air blowing against the mylar will wear it out???????

In a thousand years perhaps, but by then UV rays will have destroyed it any way.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    So air blowing against the mylar will wear it out???????

In a thousand years perhaps, but by then UV rays will have destroyed it any way.

all the best...
    Plastic degrades. Just sitting on a shelf in the dark, it degrades. Can you hear it in your heads? I can in mine, subtly yes, but definite.Reso heads need to be replaced every couple years if you want your drums to keep that factory fresh sound always. We mock what we don't understand.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass