Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your take?

User Info Menu

Default What is your take?

What is your take? Has DW put the skids on the Gretsch brand? Since their marketing takeover Gretsch has had almost no web page updates. The last event listed was a July event in NYC. I have recently read a review of an Ash kit that had ply separation issues and the buyer returned them for a different brand kit. Let’s hope that was isolated but that should have been caught at the inspection at the factory.

Don’t get me wrong I have owned three Gretsch kits and all have been superb. My current kit is a Renown built prior to the shell and hardware changes now found on the Renown’s. The all Rock Maple shells and the Rims type tom mounts make for great drums and I believe a better drum than what is now offered. I know this change was made prior to the DW take over but for me I would really like to see Gretsch get back on track with their core model drums and reclaimed the status they once had.

At one time the primary brands seen on TV were Gretsch, DW, and Ludwig. Now, not so much with Gretsch. A stronger push with quality endorsements could help too. Quest Love as an example plays Ludwig but uses a Gretsch snare. A drummer with his visibility would do wonders for the brand.

Again your thoughts?
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: What is your take?

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    A stronger push with quality endorsements could help too. Quest Love as an example plays Ludwig but uses a Gretsch snare.
    Hey.............that's backwards.
    I play Gretsch USA with a Ludwig snare.
    I agree...................strong endorsements are needed.
    I toured the Gretsch factory in SC during late July; they are happy to be associated with DW and believe the future is bright.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I don't think it's DW. Gretsch was already owned by Fender. Just because DW bought Gretsch from them, doesn't mean that things have changed. Gretsch is still run by Fred Gretsch. Why aren't you questioning them? Their quality? Their customer service? DW bought them to make a profit. Maybe they intend to provide shells to Gretsch. Gretsch already buys shells from Keller, so what's the difference. They make great shells at DW and great drums at both companies. Marriage made in heaven. Not the first quality control issue I've heard from Gretsch either.
    Last edited by SunDog; 12-19-2015 at 01:01 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

My experience with the Catalina ash shell pack was shocking to say the least.
    It just wasn't something I was expecting to find considering the Gretsch name on the badge. I am hoping this was indeed an isolated incident with regards to lack of QC, if not it could bring to question DW's capacity to regulate the brand?.... or possible cavalier attitude toward the Gretsch name...?
    It could be a speedbump as well..maybe someone asleep at the factory?

All I know, is it was enough for me to not want to risk getting a same replacement.
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 12-18-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wOOdshedd View Post
    My experience with the Catalina ash shell pack was shocking to say the least.
    It just wasn't something I was expecting to find considering the Gretsch name on the badge. I am hoping this was indeed an isolated incident with regards to lack of QC, if not it could bring to question DW's capacity to regulate the brand?.... or possible cavalier attitude toward the Gretsch name...?
    It could be a speedbump as well..maybe someone asleep at the factory?

All I know, is it was enough for me to not want to risk getting a same replacement.
    Are the Catalinas made in SC?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    What is your take? Has DW put the skids on the Gretsch brand? Since their marketing takeover Gretsch has had almost no web page updates. The last event listed was a July event in NYC. I have recently read a review of an Ash kit that had ply separation issues and the buyer returned them for a different brand kit. Let’s hope that was isolated but that should have been caught at the inspection at the factory.

Don’t get me wrong I have owned three Gretsch kits and all have been superb. My current kit is a Renown built prior to the shell and hardware changes now found on the Renown’s. The all Rock Maple shells and the Rims type tom mounts make for great drums and I believe a better drum than what is now offered. I know this change was made prior to the DW take over but for me I would really like to see Gretsch get back on track with their core model drums and reclaimed the status they once had.

At one time the primary brands seen on TV were Gretsch, DW, and Ludwig. Now, not so much with Gretsch. A stronger push with quality endorsements could help too. Quest Love as an example plays Ludwig but uses a Gretsch snare. A drummer with his visibility would do wonders for the brand.

Again your thoughts?
    Hard to say and it's a very good question. Gretsch all through it's history, has gone through some times including a couple of near deaths. (one at the hands of the Baldwin Organ Co.)
    I see it going two ways. They could find their groove and really come back big time.

Or

go out. Wouldn't be the first drum giant to go. Think...Slingerland, Leedy, Rogers, Premier, etc...

all the best...

User Info Menu

Never been a huge Gretsch fan, had cat maples a few years back and was nt impressed. I saw the new Renown RN1's in a shop a while back and was very impressed. Rack mounts were much better IMO and the lugs were gorgeous. Did not get a chance to hear it but was not aware of any shell make-up changes.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Are the Catalinas made in SC?

all the best...
    No, but still. They aren't Sound Percussion or Percussion plus. I expect a higher level of QC from a Gretsch branded product period. The Cat ash shell pack I has was a mess. My Yamaha's are built so much better, are they made in Japan?

Again, could have been a isolated incident...or?
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 12-19-2015 at 08:08 AM.

User Info Menu

So you get an asian Gretsch kit with some problem, and you blame DW?
    Do you know when it was built?

User Info Menu

I've got two Gretsch kits, '57 Renown made in Taiwan and a USA Custom from SC. The USA kit had QC issues and I had to send 2 of the 4 shells back for repair. The Taiwan kit was built perfect. Although the RN1 mounts seem lighter, I haven't had any issues with the old GTS mounts. I haven't had any dealing with Gretsch since the DW takeover. I know my local indie music store was pulling their hair out trying to get a new Gibraltar parts price catalog out of DW. I heard there was a time where the changeover caused some confusion with prices but I'm sure things have been straightened out by now?

User Info Menu

nice garage setup!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    nice garage setup!
    Thanks Zack.

User Info Menu

No, but still. They aren't Sound Percussion or Percussion plus. I expect a higher level of QC from a Gretsch branded product period. The Cat ash shell pack I has was a mess. My Yamaha's are built so much better, are they made in Japan?

Again, could have been a isolated incident...or?
    No, Yamaha moved all the production to China. I haven't played any of the Chinese kits yet but the Japanese stuff is amazing. I've noticed the Japan kits have went up in value since the move. A few years ago I was seeing used Absolute kits go for as low as $700. I haven't seen anything under $1,000 in awhile now for a normal configured 5 piece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I've got two Gretsch kits, '57 Renown made in Taiwan and a USA Custom from SC. The USA kit had QC issues and I had to send 2 of the 4 shells back for repair. The Taiwan kit was built perfect. Although the RN1 mounts seem lighter, I haven't had any issues with the old GTS mounts. I haven't had any dealing with Gretsch since the DW takeover. I know my local indie music store was pulling their hair out trying to get a new Gibraltar parts price catalog out of DW. I heard there was a time where the changeover caused some confusion with prices but I'm sure things have been straightened out by now?

With all those kits set up, that little arm of yours should get back to normal in no time

User Info Menu

I seriously doubt that Gretsch will vanish under DW's ownership. As was noted, DW knows how to make money on drums, and they didn't buy Gretsch in order to gut it. I think you'll be seeing tremendous branding efforts under DW, and certainly an injection of much, much needed quality controls on the brand.

geeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Gretsch not having their website up to date is nothing new and I probably couldn't name a Gretsch endorser off the top of my head. As far as I'm concerned, these are marketing shortcomings that existed long before the DW buyout.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    So you get an asian Gretsch kit with some problem, and you blame DW?
    Do you know when it was built?
    If you took the time to read my prior posts, I stated I didn't know what the matter was exactly regarding the glaringly ugly lack of QC on the cat ash shell pack I had. It may have been manufactured prior to the DW big gulp of Gretsch.

There is the isolated incident scenario as well. I just expected more.
    I wasn't taking any chances on swapping them out for a duplicate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    No, Yamaha moved all the production to China. I haven't played any of the Chinese kits yet but the Japanese stuff is amazing. I've noticed the Japan kits have went up in value since the move. A few years ago I was seeing used Absolute kits go for as low as $700. I haven't seen anything under $1,000 in awhile now for a normal configured 5 piece.
    This I know. I was making a statement regarding KG's remark pointing to the fact that Catalina series drums are not made in SC..seemingly implying normalcy for shoddy QC out of China. I just thought it unacceptable on any kit bearing the Gretsch family name.
    My Stage Custom Birch came out of the new Chinese facility. Superb quality.

User Info Menu

This I know. I was making a statement regarding KG's remark pointing to the fact that Catalina series drums are not made in SC..seemingly implying normalcy for shoddy QC out of China. I just thought it unacceptable on any kit bearing the Gretsch family name.
    My Stage Custom Birch came out of the new Chinese facility. Superb quality.
    Ever played a Fender guitar made in China as opposed to one made in USA? The name doesn't really mean much.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Disturbing reading here as I'm awaiting my Renowns, but we shall see. I was disappointed in their website. I went there for discussing all things Gretsch and there's literally nothing there. Looks like their forum pages were hacked! That's why I'm thankful I found you guys.

User Info Menu

Almost every other manufacturer has intermediate and starter models made in China or Taiwan - they don't seem to have these problems.

I've read of several instances of bad bearing edges on the Cat Maples, these were generally tear out of some of the plies as if they had been cut with blunt tooling, or rough edges in general - perhaps it is the quality control of this particular range that is not up to scratch. The problem is - it is a Gretsch product. Nobody cares where it is made (and nor should they) as ultimately it is the responsibility of Gretsch to regulate of the quality of products bearing their name and reject any stock that doesn't meet their specifications. In the case of The Catalina range it seems they have failed.

I don't think this is down to DW, the bearing edge issues were happening before DW took over - I know Woodshed's set was returned because of a ply separation issue, but after the plethora of bad bearing edges on the Cats, quality control should have been stepped up

User Info Menu

Ever played a Fender guitar made in China as opposed to one made in USA? The name doesn't really mean much.

all the best...
    Yes, but we are talking about a seemingly ongoing? issue with QC in Gretsch's Asian production. Again, we are not talking about no name branding here. American icons such as Fender or Gretsch better be a bit more discriminate about what is coming out of the China factories. Far as I can tell, the mid priced gear is the lion share of profit for these companies, at least in my way of thinking.

User Info Menu

all the best...
    My friend has a couple nice Gibson's made in China or Japan. Very nice for the couple few hundred he paid each. We call it a "Fibson".

User Info Menu

I've been in Industrial Power Transmission for 25+ years. Things like bearings, chain, sprockets, belting, gearboxes, motors, etc.. Production of quality items like these was strictly USA, until about 15yrs ago. The American companies designed and built state-of-the-art factories in China and moved production. The capabilities of quality are extremely high.....the problem is labor & management. From what multiple manufacturers have told me; If the Americans keep an ongoing presence at the factories and keep a vigilant watch, everything is fine. If they turn their back for just a day, the factory will cut corners, disregard QC and even (on occasion) pull product off the line and sell it as their own private label goods. It's fair game to them...just the culture and the way they conduct international business. When you consider how China manipulates their currency, negotiates and has acquired such ownership of our economy, it makes sense.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I've been in Industrial Power Transmission for 25+ years. Things like bearings, chain, sprockets, belting, gearboxes, motors, etc.. Production of quality items like these was strictly USA, until about 15yrs ago. The American companies designed and built state-of-the-art factories in China and moved production. The capabilities of quality are extremely high.....the problem is labor & management. From what multiple manufacturers have told me; If the Americans keep an ongoing presence at the factories and keep a vigilant watch, everything is fine. If they turn their back for just a day, the factory will cut corners, disregard QC and even (on occasion) pull product off the line and sell it as their own private label goods. It's fair game to them...just the culture and the way they conduct international business. When you consider how China manipulates their currency, negotiates and has acquired such ownership of our economy, it makes sense.
    That's why I hate to even give them the satisfaction.

all the best...