Thread: new old songs

User Info Menu

Cool new old songs

I've been working on some old classic rock lately and man some of the stuff is
    tough. speaking of tough has any one ever heard of the song tough.it's a
    old blues honky tonk song thats just bad to the bone. by the way I have no
    clue as to who done it. anothere one is pretty woman some of these older tunes sound simple to play but the more you get into them you find that those cats realy had thier stuff together.thanks guys and keep rocking

User Info Menu

Cool new old songs

Philip, hard to believe I was pokin' my way through the threads and took a second look at this one!

I may just have an answer for ya after nearly five months!

If this is the song I think it is, "Tuff" (correct spelling) was released about 1957 or 1958 by Link Wray and the Wray Men. It was a guitar band (kinda like Duane Eddy) but I have read that Link Wray was way ahead of his time; some rock experts consider "Tuff" the first progressive rock and roll recording, coming out at a time when most rock music was still fairly simple.

I was five or six when it was released, and I recall it had a jazzy, almost space-age sound to it that was unlike anything I heard up to that point (may have been the guitar distortion) yet it had that bluesy sound you describe. And even then, it kicked serious *** at a time when people were still bent out of shape about Elvis Presley. Sad part is something that imaginative wouldn't get any attention unless it had f-bombs and b-bombs and every other kind of bomb you could think of as its lyrics!

Hope it points ya in the right direction...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Pretty Woman...originally done by Roy Orbison (also of Travelling Wilburys fame later in life), and covered by Van Halen on the Diver Down album, which, if I am correct, was ALL cover tunes.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Talking

Pretty Woman beat? I'm relly good at that beat but your right it does get tough.
    Percussion is the pulse. With out a pulse, ya dead.
    GIRL DRUMMERS ROCK!!!

User Info Menu

Arg, well i know a couple classics, but not THAT classic

A really easy one is "living after midnight" by judas priest, easy beat, but it has so much power to it

And ive been learning Run to the hills, by Iron maiden, and War Pigs by Black sabbath, With a hint of smoke on the water

User Info Menu

Wanna try a tough "oldie"?? Black Betty by Ram Jam. Great drumming on that tune.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

its so stupid i really wanna play that song but all my other band members think its stupid and pointless and to quote one of them "gay"

but i really wanna play it
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Want to try an easy old tune? Try TUSK by Fleetwood Mac....
    When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by amputechture
    its so stupid i really wanna play that song but all my other band members think its stupid and pointless and to quote one of them "gay"

but i really wanna play it
    Let me guess, this same guy likes Cookie Monster vocals?