Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Health issues...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Health issues...

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Rich.............I have taken Lipitor every day for 15 years with zero problems.
    My normal cholesterol level is 330; with the drug therapy it hovers at 180.
    Good for you! I hope you live a long and prosperous life. Me? I can't take any statin medication. Tried three different kinds and had really bad results on all of them.

From the CDC: "The percentage of adults aged 40 and older taking drugs that combat high cholesterol rose from 20 percent to 28 percent between 2003 and 2012, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Moreover, the use of statins increased from 18 percent to 26 percent, making them most commonly used cholesterol-lowering drugs. By 2011-12, 93 percent of adults using a cholesterol-lowering medication used a statin. "

It's a 23 billion dollar industry!

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Hey Rich good to see ya back. Merry Christmas
    Thanks slinky!

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Everyone reacts different to a certain drug. You're are obviously one of those happy smiling people in the commercial, while the announcer is speed reading all the possible harmful consequences of taking the drug.

@ Late8 please tell me you've retained a good attorney

all the best...
    Thanks kay-gee! I feel like I've dodged that bullet again!

Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    Hello Rich!

I'm glad to hear you are doing better. I fully understand what you're going through as I have been suffering with it for the past year and a half. I've had 2 of those nerve blocks and they make you feel normal again. My last one was in may and it's almost time again. I go until I just can't stand it anymore, and then I get one done.

I have a ruptured disc in my lower back and one in between my shoulder blades along with the pinched nerve and arthritis in the neck. I haven't been able to pick a stick up in almost a year now. It's so frustrating because it's affected my life in so many ways and keeps me from doing things I love.

Medicines are great sometimes but I don't think we fully understand the adverse effects that many medicines have on our bodies. Cholestrol and blood pressure meds are two of the worst offenders. I am on Crestor for cholestrol and it makes my legs constantly hurt.

I am so glad you are getting better. The pic of that elbow made MINE hurt!

Take care!
    JIm
    Thanks for sharing your health issues Jim! I thought I was all alone until I did a Google search and found out about so many issues with the statins and blood pressure meds from other folks like me. My neck and right shoulder ache constantly and it's keeping me from doing a lot of things I once did. I was shocked to feel so much better without those meds. My blood pressure is really good. 60 day average is 128/77 and 8 weeks of the 60 days was without the high blood pressure meds. I feel like I'm slowly coming back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I've had my share of run ins with health issues, but fate had other plans. I'm sure it does for you too - the human body is actually quite amazing and contains almost everything it needs to heal itself naturally. Almost unexplainably so, things have ways of turning themselves around for the better. You'll beat this thing, I believe in that. Life throws us challenges sometimes to test who we are as people - and now you know you're too tough to die. As long as you believe in that, you'll overcome these challenges - they shall not overcome you.

Be well.
    Thanks so much for those words Russ! You're very kind and share much passion for all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Glad to hear you're doing better Rich. I was taking cholesterol medicine as a preventative med due to being diabetic and had some of the same aches and pains.

I stopped taking the meds, felt better in a few days and got a new rx at the Dr office for a lower dose. Been good ever since.
    Thanks man! I'm going back in February for my 90 day blood test. The lab will run the typical fasting lipid panel for HDC and LDC and triglycerides. If I'm off the charts, I'll listen to my doctor and see what he has to say.

User Info Menu

Glad to hear you're doing better Rich. I was taking cholesterol medicine as a preventative med due to being diabetic and had some of the same aches and pains.

I stopped taking the meds, felt better in a few days and got a new rx at the Dr office for a lower dose. Been good ever since.
    I'm a diabetic, too gonefishin...

My choleterol med is preventative too. I'm am so tired of fighting this stuff!

Take care!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your health issues Jim! I thought I was all alone until I did a Google search and found out about so many issues with the statins and blood pressure meds from other folks like me. My neck and right shoulder ache constantly and it's keeping me from doing a lot of things I once did. I was shocked to feel so much better without those meds. My blood pressure is really good. 60 day average is 128/77 and 8 weeks of the 60 days was without the high blood pressure meds. I feel like I'm slowly coming back to life.

Rich, you're never alone, especially as good a person as you are. I've never met you but your kind words alone show us who you are and although I'm hard to please, You're A1 OK with with me. Hopefully one day I may get to meet you in person.

It's weird how some drugs work well on some people but totally screw up others. My blood pressure has been a problem for me. Several years back I had to change doctors and as we all know, they all have their "pet" meds. This doctor changed my "perfectly working" BP med to something called Accupril. It took a while, but slowly it was doing me wrong. I kept feeling bad and I was having a lot of trouble keeping my BP under control. This went on for a full year. I felt so bad that when I came home from work, I went straight to bed. After a year of this, I again had to change doctors and yes, again they changed the BP med. Wow, I started feeling much better, my BP would control and life was now good. I still didn't put it all together until my baby brother who is 9 years younger than me called me one night and was telling me that he felt so bad all the time and that he just could not control his BP. I asked him what he was on and , yep, you guessed it....Accupril.
    I told him to go see his doctor and tell him you want off Accupril. He changed to what I now take, Lotrel, and he's much better like I was .

I'm so glad you are MUCH better and I pray you continue to get better!

Take Care!

JIm
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Rich, you're never alone, especially as good a person as you are. I've never met you but your kind words alone show us who you are and although I'm hard to please, You're A1 OK with with me. Hopefully one day I may get to meet you in person.

It's weird how some drugs work well on some people but totally screw up others. My blood pressure has been a problem for me. Several years back I had to change doctors and as we all know, they all have their "pet" meds. This doctor changed my "perfectly working" BP med to something called Accupril. It took a while, but slowly it was doing me wrong. I kept feeling bad and I was having a lot of trouble keeping my BP under control. This went on for a full year. I felt so bad that when I came home from work, I went straight to bed. After a year of this, I again had to change doctors and yes, again they changed the BP med. Wow, I started feeling much better, my BP would control and life was now good. I still didn't put it all together until my baby brother who is 9 years younger than me called me one night and was telling me that he felt so bad all the time and that he just could not control his BP. I asked him what he was on and , yep, you guessed it....Accupril.
    I told him to go see his doctor and tell him you want off Accupril. He changed to what I now take, Lotrel, and he's much better like I was .

I'm so glad you are MUCH better and I pray you continue to get better!

Take Care!

JIm
    Thanks again Jim for your kindness and encouraging words! I too had to change doctors after my primary care doctor did nothing but prescribe me drugs to cure everything from a hang nail to diabetes. I spent 2 days in the ICU after a allergic reaction to Metformin, a generic drug to control blood sugar. My kidneys went into shock and shut down. I had signs I was going into sepsis shock and my pancreas and liver count was off the charts. I was nearly died in the ICU back in '09.

User Info Menu

Thanks again Jim for your kindness and encouraging words! I too had to change doctors after my primary care doctor did nothing but prescribe me drugs to cure everything from a hang nail to diabetes. I spent 2 days in the ICU after a allergic reaction to Metformin, a generic drug to control blood sugar. My kidneys went into shock and shut down. I had signs I was going into sepsis shock and my pancreas and liver count was off the charts. I was nearly died in the ICU back in '09.
    Rich, I am well aware of Metformin as I and my wife are both diabetic. Metformin is evil. It was horrible for me and my wife for the first 6 months we took it. I managed to stay on it but they changed her to Metformin with Actos.

Actos made me ravenous and I would almost eat the trim around the doors in my house I was so hungry. I flat refused to take it and they manuvered me arounf with other meds. I take so many now that it's scary. I don't go to a regular PDP anymore, I go to an Edoncrinologist and use him as my primary doctor. He is aware of how sensitive my system is and I almost flat refuse for him to make any med changes because of the adverse effects it has on me.

It's a heck of a way to live, but, at least I'm still kicking....mean and onery as ever!

Take Care Rich, you're too gooda person for the good Lord to let anything happen to! I believe that with all my heart!
    Last edited by jgraham798; 01-15-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Rich, I am well aware of Metformin as I and my wife are both diabetic. Metformin is evil. It was horrible for me and my wife for the first 6 months we took it. I managed to stay on it but they changed her to Metformin with Actos.

Actos made me ravenous and I would almost eat the trim around the doors in my house I was so hungry. I flat refused to take it and they manuvered me arounf with other meds. I take so many now that it's scary. I don't go to a regular PDP anymore, I go to an Edoncrinologist and use him as my primary doctor. He is aware of how sensitive my system is and I almost flat refuse for him to make any med changes because of the adverse effects it has on me.

It's a heck of a way to live, but, at least I'm still kicking....mean and onery as ever!

Take Care Rich, you're too gooda person for the good Loed to let anything happen to! I belive that with all my heart!
    Thanks again Jim...you're an awesome guy!

User Info Menu

I'm a diabetic, too gonefishin...

My choleterol med is preventative too. I'm am so tired of fighting this stuff!

Take care!
    You gotta do what you gotta do like it or not if you want to see tomorrow is my opinion. As much as I have taking the stuff, that and a low dosage blood pressure med help keep any back pressure off of my kidneys so I don't have issues down the road.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear of your health issues, here's to a speedy recovery. On a side note
    "snapping scapula" is a great band name.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Sorry to hear of your health issues, here's to a speedy recovery. On a side note
    "snapping scapula" is a great band name.
    Thanks NPYYZ! I agree "Snapping Scapula", my next band name hahaha...thanks! You being a painter for most of your life and owning your own painting business, I'm sure you've had to deal with pain from overhead repetitive motion. Painters are the first trade to be mentioned when dealing with neck and back pain.

Edit:

I was told yesterday by my doctor that I will need neck surgery on disks C6 and C7. Oh nooo!!!
    Last edited by late8; 01-12-2016 at 12:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks NPYYZ! I agree "Snapping Scapula", my next band name hahaha...thanks! You being a painter for most of your life and owning your own painting business, I'm sure you've had to deal with pain from overhead repetitive motion. Painters are the first trade to be mentioned when dealing with neck and back pain.

Edit:

I was told yesterday by my doctor that I will need neck surgery on disks C6 and C7. Oh nooo!!!
    Well that is just YUCK to the nth power.

Sorry to hear about this, Rich.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Well that is just YUCK to the nth power.

Sorry to hear about this, Rich.
    Thanks Mark. As mentioned in this thread, GeeDeeEmm has had this done and I know Longgun (Butch) has mentioned that he has had neck surgery in previous threads. I'm asking for a second injection to see if it might help but I know it's only a temporary fix.

Here's what's happening. Constant pain from C6 & C7 disks.

Part that freaks me out!! Incision made at base of throat and it may not fix the problem. I'm reading everything from happy outcomes to horror stories. 2 weeks no driving or lifting more than a 1/2 gallon of milk. 4 to 8 weeks total recovery period needed with 24/7 soft/hard neck brace. I'm going to have to put this off. Used almost all of my sick leave and vacation to get to this point. I'm going to have to bank my sick leave in order to have the proper recovery time. I hope I can make it!

User Info Menu

So sorry Rich, I kinda know how you feel with a dull sciatica numbness in my butt/leg most of the time, life's a b**** when your not as healthy as you used to be

User Info Menu

Seems to be the way doctors are now. I won't see a doctor twice if they don't listen to me and explain things to me without pushing meds on me.
    The Dr I have now has been a lot better then I've had and has fixed several issues my last Dr wouldn't even listen to me about. I feel better but have a long way to go.
    Glad to hear you are better late8. Neck issues are very painful and the pain Dr i se wants to do the injections and I've held off because i didn't know anyone who has ever tried them,but if they have helped you that much,I think it's time to allow her to do them for me. Hope it all gets better for ya.
    8pc Tama Superstar Classic Maple
    Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals

User Info Menu

Thanks Mark. As mentioned in this thread, GeeDeeEmm has had this done and I know Longgun (Butch) has mentioned that he has had neck surgery in previous threads. I'm asking for a second injection to see if it might help but I know it's only a temporary fix.

Here's what's happening. Constant pain from C6 & C7 disks.

Part that freaks me out!! Incision made at base of throat and it may not fix the problem. I'm reading everything from happy outcomes to horror stories. 2 weeks no driving or lifting more than a 1/2 gallon of milk. 4 to 8 weeks total recovery period needed with 24/7 soft/hard neck brace. I'm going to have to put this off. Used almost all of my sick leave and vacation to get to this point. I'm going to have to bank my sick leave in order to have the proper recovery time. I hope I can make it!

Rich, I've had the fusion (C4-5, 5-6, 6-7) and it took me a long time to recover. I could not walk normal for a good 6 weeks IIRC.

I would recommend trying all of the physical therapy possible, along with blocks/injections, to see if that would work before having the surgery.

Good luck brother, feel free to give me a call at anytime if you have any questions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    So sorry Rich, I kinda know how you feel with a dull sciatica numbness in my butt/leg most of the time, life's a b**** when your not as healthy as you used to be
    Thanks myk! Life is a b alright. I'm taking one day at a time and not taking anything for grant it now. I have a new outlook on drumming and have set goals for myself to reach before I get sidelined for months if I have to go through with this surgery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    Seems to be the way doctors are now. I won't see a doctor twice if they don't listen to me and explain things to me without pushing meds on me.
    The Dr I have now has been a lot better then I've had and has fixed several issues my last Dr wouldn't even listen to me about. I feel better but have a long way to go.
    Glad to hear you are better late8. Neck issues are very painful and the pain Dr i se wants to do the injections and I've held off because i didn't know anyone who has ever tried them,but if they have helped you that much,I think it's time to allow her to do them for me. Hope it all gets better for ya.
    Thanks a million Shawn76! The injection helped a lot but I was kept the positive results to myself instead of sharing it with my doctor. I want to see how they handle my situation if I needed a second injection.
    Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Rich, I've had the fusion (C4-5, 5-6, 6-7) and it took me a long time to recover. I could not walk normal for a good 6 weeks IIRC.

I would recommend trying all of the physical therapy possible, along with blocks/injections, to see if that would work before having the surgery.

Good luck brother, feel free to give me a call at anytime if you have any questions.
    Thanks Butch. I just got an email from my doctor. They have rejected a second injection and are recommending surgery. They want a more detailed set of x-rays and they want to do a surgical evaluation on me. I told them I want to try neck traction therapy which I left on the table and I want to go through the three workshops for pain relief and seek out acupuncture too. I'll take your advice Butch and try every conservative form of treatment before I go under the knife.

User Info Menu

.[/B]
    Thanks Butch. I just got an email from my doctor. They have rejected a second injection and are recommending surgery. They want a more detailed set of x-rays and they want to do a surgical evaluation on me. I told them I want to try neck traction therapy which I left on the table and I want to go through the three workshops for pain relief and seek out acupuncture too. I'll take your advice Butch and try every conservative form of treatment before I go under the knife.
    I didn't try the neck traction, or other non-invasive stuff..............wish I would have.

I was in a hurry to get mine fixed...............should have taken my time

Praying for you brother.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I didn't try the neck traction, or other non-invasive stuff..............wish I would have.

I was in a hurry to get mine fixed...............should have taken my time

Praying for you brother.
    Thanks Butch, I'm going to lean on you for advice if my situation gets worse. Thanks brother!

User Info Menu

Hi! Had one epidural injection on the right side. That was about 8 months ago. It was succesful. I've had two on the left side. They did nothing for me. Currently going for P.T. and acupuncture. It's been two weeks. Still too soon to tell. The pain is still intense (the left calf is the worse) but not as frequent. Some improvement. My therapist is treating me with heat. Spends half the session stretching me out, and spends the rest of the session massaging my lowere back. P.T. is 3x per week. The acupuncture 2x for now. P.T. is covered by Medicare. Acupuncture is $85 dollars for each session. Out of pocket for that. Hang in there! I wish you well!!!

User Info Menu

You gotta do what you gotta do like it or not if you want to see tomorrow is my opinion. As much as I have taking the stuff, that and a low dosage blood pressure med help keep any back pressure off of my kidneys so I don't have issues down the road.
    I know you're absolutely correct.

My father did not take care of his and it killed him at 66, and he suffered the last 4 or 5 years.

I do try to keep myself in as good of shape as I can. We eat well around here, no junk or fast foods, and we get plenty of exercise. I walk 3 miles everyday at lunch unless it's ppouring down raining or frozen over.

My problems right now are in my back and neck. I have 3 discs gone bad and
    it's really affecting my lifestyle. I haven't been able to touch my drums in a little over a year now.

Take care!
    Jim
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmastrodimos View Post
    Hi! Had one epidural injection on the right side. That was about 8 months ago. It was succesful. I've had two on the left side. They did nothing for me. Currently going for P.T. and acupuncture. It's been two weeks. Still too soon to tell. The pain is still intense (the left calf is the worse) but not as frequent. Some improvement. My therapist is treating me with heat. Spends half the session stretching me out, and spends the rest of the session massaging my lowere back. P.T. is 3x per week. The acupuncture 2x for now. P.T. is covered by Medicare. Acupuncture is $85 dollars for each session. Out of pocket for that. Hang in there! I wish you well!!!
    Thanks for the update Jim! I appreciate the insight on cost! You're awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    Neck issues are very painful and the pain Dr i se wants to do the injections and I've held off because i didn't know anyone who has ever tried them,but if they have helped you that much,I think it's time to allow her to do them for me. Hope it all gets better for ya.
    Shawn, I have had 2 of them and they work well for me. Each one lasted almost a whole year, but it depends on the person. Some don't last very long at all.

When I'm in constant pain and can't stand it anymore, then that's when I go and get one done. My last one was in May 2015 and I still feel bearable with it.

One thing you do have to remember is, even though the pain is blocked and you feel like Superman, be careful and don't overdo it because whatever is messed up is still there and you may mess it up worse.

I have a moron at work that gets one about every 3-4 months and then he goes and lifts weights and works out in those "insanity" aerobic classes.

And then he doesn't understand why it hurts so bad when the injection wears off....

I recommend the injections if you're suffering from a lot of pain.

Take Care!
    Jim
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Rich, sorry to hear about the surgery, man. Do you guys have a "sick bank" at work? We do. If you're out of sick time you can tap into this so called "sick bank" and use sick time others have donated (from retirement, payouts, etc).

Do you have a time frame for the surgery yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Rich, sorry to hear about the surgery, man. Do you guys have a "sick bank" at work? We do. If you're out of sick time you can tap into this so called "sick bank" and use sick time others have donated (from retirement, payouts, etc).

Do you have a time frame for the surgery yet?
    Thanks Mark. We have a sick time donation policy here but we have to use all sick leave and vacation time before a email is sent out asking for donated sick leave. Folks here are really generous and donate many times. I go in for a MRI on Saturday to see how bad the disk compression is. I have an appointment with the surgeon in February
    Last edited by late8; 01-15-2016 at 10:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear you're going through this. About 10 years ago, I had the same thing. Severe chronic pain dorsal side of right arm, numbness, tingling, etc. MRI, bunch of "opinions". Having seen my fair share of this type of surgery personally and having friends go through this.......I chose to have PT and just wait it out. For me, surgery is the LAST option. Guess I lucked out. Took about 6 months but everything subsided and today I get a little numbness in the same area if I over do it. Hope it works out for you. Never fun.

User Info Menu

Hi Rich. Just catching up on this odyssey of yours. I am so very sorry about the awful experience you have had to endure. I am sensitive to this due to chronic medical issues of my own that will never be resolved. I am so happy that things appear to be working for you, for many reasons, for you, personally, your family, and for us here. I can honestly say that I miss it when you are not here; you add so very much to this place, and the family that resides here isn't the same without you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you in any way...Best Wishes!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare