Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Health issues...

User Info Menu

Default Health issues...

Been a while since I last posted. Thanks Bish (text) and rickthedrummer (phone call) for checking on me. Having some issues with my health. The pinched nerves in my neck got the best of me. The pain got so bad I couldn't hold my head up so last week I had to get a cervical spine injection to relieve the pain. So far so good but there's still pain surrounding my right shoulder blade.

Did some research and found out I also have a condition known as a "snapping scapula". The tendons that support my right shoulder blade are shot from over extending my right arm too far out with repetitive motion (drumming). I've been playing through the pain for almost a year until last week where I threw in the "towel" and had to seek medical help. Played on the kit after 24 hours post injection and it felt good. Shoulder blade still has discomfort but not like last week and now I'm able to hold my head up without pain.

Also found out that the two meds I was taking to control my high blood pressure and high cholesterol for the last 5 years was causing some serious side effects which I wasn't aware of. Depression and cold and flu like symptoms and aching back and leg muscles are just a few things that were dragging me down. I felt like I was slowly going downhill.

Been off the meds now for 6 weeks and I'm feeling 100% better. The depression is gone and the pain in my back and legs are gone. My blood pressure is normal without the help of the high blood pressure meds (go figure) and I'm watching what I eat to control my cholesterol. Increased my exercise routine to help control my blood pressure and I'm eating a healthier diet.

Happy Holidays DrumChat!

late8 (aka Rich)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Health issues...

Great to hear, it is amazing how DR's are always quick to put ya on med's but never want to follow up and get you off of them as quick as possible. They probably would have given you more meds to combat the side effects of those meds.. arrgghhhh this is a pet peeve of mine and I do not want to go on a tangent so I will stop now.

Great to hear your feeling better and may not have to give up playing but do not push it. Your body needs to adjust and heal from those side effects and you should allow it to do it's thing, you do not have anything if you do not have your health bud. Best of luck, happy to see you back it's been getting a little stagnant around here
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Good to hear you are feeling better, get well and take care.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

That's very good news, hope everything keeps getting bettter!
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about the medical issues, but it's good to hear that you're still on the right side of the grass.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

It's great to hear from you again. Hasn't been the same without you. Sad to hear about the medical issues, but great to hear that you're doing better!

Maybe it's time to go to a smaller kit? Something like a 16/10/13 jungle kit......you can move everything low and close, and put the ride out in front of you. One thing I like about mine is the ergonomics. I can play the whole kit while keeping my elbows down at my sides....never really having to extend my arms much and keeping my weight centered on the throne. I notice the difference after a 4hr gig. Also, a really good ergonomic throne with back support (if you don't already have one).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

So sorry to hear of your troubles . But glad to hear you are on the mend ! I hope this does not offend you but I will be sending up prayers for a speedy recovery and prolonged health .
    Merry Christmas to you sir !!
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I'm happy to know things are getting worked out.............stay with it.
    Good to hear from you -- Merry Christmas.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Great to hear, it is amazing how DR's are always quick to put ya on med's but never want to follow up and get you off of them as quick as possible. They probably would have given you more meds to combat the side effects of those meds.. arrgghhhh this is a pet peeve of mine and I do not want to go on a tangent so I will stop now.

Great to hear your feeling better and may not have to give up playing but do not push it. Your body needs to adjust and heal from those side effects and you should allow it to do it's thing, you do not have anything if you do not have your health bud. Best of luck, happy to see you back it's been getting a little stagnant around here
    Thanks for the kind words MDK! My last blood test in November of this year revealed that my triglycerides levels were a little elevated so my doctor doubled my cholesterol medication which almost sent me to the ICU again. Kidneys began to stress out from a week on the doubled dose of meds. My urine became dark and my elbow flared out to a point where the doctor drained it twice. First flare up sent me to the doctor and he drained 8cc of fluid of of my right elbow. Second flare up a day later, 10cc of fluid. I had to take myself off of the pills. My doctor blamed some type of trauma to my elbow not the medication he prescribed as the actual culprit for the flare up! Stopped the meds, elbow healed fine!

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Good to hear you are feeling better, get well and take care.

Jim
    Thanks Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamastar View Post
    That's very good news, hope everything keeps getting bettter!
    Thanks Tamastar!

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Sorry to hear about the medical issues, but it's good to hear that you're still on the right side of the grass.
    Almost took an early dirt nap. Found out that my meds were causing some serious issues. Didn't for a minute think that my chronic depression was from my cholesterol medication.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    It's great to hear from you again. Hasn't been the same without you. Sad to hear about the medical issues, but great to hear that you're doing better!

Maybe it's time to go to a smaller kit? Something like a 16/10/13 jungle kit......you can move everything low and close, and put the ride out in front of you. One thing I like about mine is the ergonomics. I can play the whole kit while keeping my elbows down at my sides....never really having to extend my arms much and keeping my weight centered on the throne. I notice the difference after a 4hr gig. Also, a really good ergonomic throne with back support (if you don't already have one).
    Thanks Brian! Finally feeling like my "old" self again. As far as the ergonomics of the kit; brought things a little closer to my throne:

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    So sorry to hear of your troubles . But glad to hear you are on the mend ! I hope this does not offend you but I will be sending up prayers for a speedy recovery and prolonged health .
    Merry Christmas to you sir !!
    Rudy .
    No offense taken at all Rudy! Thanks for the kind words man! Merry Christmas!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I'm happy to know things are getting worked out.............stay with it.
    Good to hear from you -- Merry Christmas.
    Thanks Ricardo!! Merry Christmas!

User Info Menu

Always there for you, my friend.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

Always there for you, my friend.
    Thanks Mark. I really appreciated your text message!

User Info Menu

I'm happy to see you back, my friend. I've been wondering what happened to you... http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...4.html?t=34674

I had a feeling it was health related and didn't want to bug you. I'm glad to hear you're better. Being in pain all the time is not fun. Believe me, I live with it every day. Fortunately, I am seeing a surgeon in Feb. to start the process to get my back fixed.

Again, I'm happy to hear you're on the mend my friend.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about your heath issues Rich. I sure am glad that you felt good enough to write to us explaining your absence from here. I hope the new year will be better for you man. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Xmas and the best of health for the New Year. Your friend Gilles

User Info Menu

Very happy to hear you're doing a bit better. Get well soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I'm so sorry to hear of your pains!

User Info Menu

Good to hear from you. Sorry you're going through that. Good to know your not dead or anything major like that. Heal up.

User Info Menu

Glad to see you're doing better late8.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

Best wishes ... get well soon ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    I'm happy to see you back, my friend. I've been wondering what happened to you... http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...4.html?t=34674

I had a feeling it was health related and didn't want to bug you. I'm glad to hear you're better. Being in pain all the time is not fun. Believe me, I live with it every day. Fortunately, I am seeing a surgeon in Feb. to start the process to get my back fixed.

Again, I'm happy to hear you're on the mend my friend.
    Thanks Mark! Good luck on the impending surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Sorry to hear about your heath issues Rich. I sure am glad that you felt good enough to write to us explaining your absence from here. I hope the new year will be better for you man. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Xmas and the best of health for the New Year. Your friend Gilles
    Thanks Gilles! It's been a rough couple of weeks. Slowly healing my elbow. This is what I woke up to one morning a few weeks ago. Merry Christmas to you and the Mrs. and your wonderful dog.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Very happy to hear you're doing a bit better. Get well soon.
    Thanks Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear of your pains!

Thanks Spaz!

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Good to hear from you. Sorry you're going through that. Good to know your not dead or anything major like that. Heal up.
    Dang....almost needed one of your "elbows" you design for the orthopedic world.

Quote Originally Posted by piratemonkey124 View Post
    Glad to see you're doing better late8.
    Thanks pirate!

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Best wishes ... get well soon ...
    Thanks danger!

User Info Menu

Get well soon!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Get well soon!

all the best...
    Thanks kay-gee!

User Info Menu

So, You really are a pain in the neck. (JOKE)

Get well soon Rich!!
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    So, You really are a pain in the neck. (JOKE)

Get well soon Rich!!
    Thanks Pops! Almost as bad as a toothache. No matter how I sat, stood, walked, ran or on laid on my back...throbbing pain on the right side of my neck that radiated down through my shoulder blade and down into my right triceps muscle. I lost muscle mass right above my right elbow (circled) and lost muscle mass in my forearm (arrow) due to the side-effects of the double dose of cholesterol medication. My muscles were literally melting away. Scary!!

User Info Menu

Glad you are on the mend. Anything that takes us away from our passions = not good.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH