Thread: Drumsticks?????

User Info Menu

Default Drumsticks?????

I'm looking for a pair of sticks that longer then the normal pair. Any ideas?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumsticks?????

Vic Firth makes the standard size (5A, 5B, etc) in what is called the Extreme Series - these are around 1/4"-1/2" longer than standard lengths. Regal Tip also has the Alex Van Halen model - which has to be the longest stick I have ever played.

User Info Menu

^I was going to say that too. The Van Halen stick is a beast.

User Info Menu

I used to have some fiberglass sticks in the late 80's, early 90's. I remember they were reddish and hollow in the handle end too. Don't remember the make but they last me like 10+ years (with occasional use) until my son broke one. ...and a cymbal...
    Last edited by Olimpass; 12-23-2015 at 07:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Dave Lombardo sticks!
    Not for me, but if you want long and beefy.

User Info Menu

The "questlove" sticks from Vic Firth are 17" long, but the size of a 7A

I use them when I want a quieter sound, without having to use rods or brushes

User Info Menu

Most standard sticks are @ 16 inches.
    Any manufacturers web page will have some sort of guide to reflect the length of every offered pair.
    If you have a favorite stick-maker, visit that site.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Charlie Bonante signature sticks - they are longer than normal, extremely heavy, have a sharp ridge close to the tip that will probably destroy your cymbals and have a black sleeve that messes up your hands faster than you can say blister.

On second thoughts I probably wouldn't recommend them....

User Info Menu

Questlove for sure. Used them in my church setting today for the first time. My new go to stick!
    Sabian B8 20" Ride, B8 Pro 14" Hi Hats, B8 10" Splash, Meinl HCS 10" Splash, HCS 14" Crash, HCS 16" Crash, 18" HCS Crash/Ride, Meinl HiHat Tambourine, PDP DP402 Double Pedal, Sound Percussion 5 Piece, Wuhan China, Mapex Horizion 8 and 10" toms.

User Info Menu

Los Cabos 5A or 5B Intense.

The coolest thing ever is that you have the choice of having a standard 5A or 5B which is a little bit longer and heavier (white hickory series) or a longer and heavier stick having the 5A or 5B size (red hickory series)
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

Pro-Mark Neil Peart signature sticks are a bit longer than average, also.
    ALGAROTHSYUM - post-apocalyptic instrumental metal - currently working on third full-length album!
    Bandcamp - Facebook

IRACONJI- Nashville death/thrash metal - drummer
    Facebook

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skills View Post
    Los Cabos 5A or 5B Intense.

The coolest thing ever is that you have the choice of having a standard 5A or 5B which is a little bit longer and heavier (white hickory series) or a longer and heavier stick having the 5A or 5B size (red hickory series)
    I agree with you man.
    I am surprised that Los Cabos are available in Germany as they are made here in Canada. Not sure if they are available in the U.S. cause when I first mentioned them here on DC a few years ago most drummers had never heard of them. Now Los Cabos are getting pretty popular.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I agree with you man.
    I am surprised that Los Cabos are available in Germany as they are made here in Canada. Not sure if they are available in the U.S. cause when I first mentioned them here on DC a few years ago most drummers had never heard of them. Now Los Cabos are getting pretty popular.
    They aren't just available with a few models in two stores (I'm ordering them online because the stores are very far away from me, in different states) but also very cheap, they cost only 8.40 here.

I'm really, really, really impressed by this small company making such great products.

I think they are available in the USA since Canada and USA are like neighbours.

Oh, actually they aren't really popular here but I discovered and love them.

Little off topic:

I've noticed you guys living in USA or Canada mention stick sizes in inches, but vater (although they are an American company) are also familiar with millimetres.

So, I wonder if you are familiar with that too or why you using inches instead of millimetres?
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

We can be stubborn that way. What's a millimeter?

User Info Menu

If I'm remembering correctly, the Promark 747 rock sticks are longer.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Yes the Neil Peart 747's are a bit longer. I stopped using them because they just didn't feel right to me. They felt top heavy.

User Info Menu

I've looked at https://richsticks.com/ I think they'll make about anything you want for around the same price as name brand sticks. I've never tried them though. I do like the Vic Firth extremes.