Thread: Thought I'd share this with ya'll.

User Info Menu

Default Thought I'd share this with ya'll.

Well I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. I recently found an old link to a local band that did a unique cover of Journey's "Separate Ways" . and what I like about this is when a band takes a song and makes it their own by either reharmonization fooling around with the progression,to put a new spin to an old song.

Now I know some of you might not like it. But I kind of like the vocoder effect the singer uses it's different and reminds me of pop and hip hop and good playing as well, pretty creative like putting a new paint job on an old car. Anyways happy new year to everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTthOoIifRk

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thought I'd share this with ya'll.

I like what they did with it....actually like it a lot.

Hate the production. Way to over processed for my liking. Too electronic for me. Drums don't sound real, guitar tone sounds cheap and dime store-ish and the vocoder on her voice is too over the top.

But....I'd love to hear it live with a fat mix and Gibson/Marshall guitar sound or Maybe produced more like Paramore would do it.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I also liked that a lot.

I also see what Eddie is talking about and agree with almost all of it.

We seldom played a song exactly like it was done on the record. Some you had a lot of room to maneuver, some, not so much, and some you left alone.

I never played drums to be a echo of someone else, and if someone said that we didn't play it like it was on the record/CD, I would tell them to go buy the record/CD, stay home and listen to it and save themselves a lot of money.

When I retired, I was asked by more than a few people what it would take for me to get back in a band. I always told them to find me singers like Steve Perry and Ann Wilson and we'll talk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wired View Post
    Well I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. I recently found an old link to a local band that did a unique cover of Journey's "Separate Ways" . and what I like about this is when a band takes a song and makes it their own by either reharmonization fooling around with the progression,to put a new spin to an old song.

Now I know some of you might not like it. But I kind of like the vocoder effect the singer uses it's different and reminds me of pop and hip hop and good playing as well, pretty creative like putting a new paint job on an old car. Anyways happy new year to everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTthOoIifRk
    Sounds like the Buggles.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I like when bands make songs their own. Really disliked that effort tremendously. Talented, tight and any other adjective you'd like to use to describe a good band, but, I really don't like when things are over produced like that was. If I want to hear robots........................
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 12-27-2015 at 07:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Nice find. That one is going on my Ipod.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I like when bands make songs their own. Really disliked that effort tremendously. Talented, tight and any other adjective you'd like to use to describe a good band, but, I really don't like when things are over produced like that was. If I want to hear robots........................
    Agreed. I'm not going to bash on them, the quality of the recording is excellent, but if your going to step into the shoes of Steve Perry and Steve Smith, you better do something great.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

You want to hear over produced classics?
    Yes Remixes.
    Steve Howell's son sat down at a Mac and mmmmmm mixed a load of crud.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...c_swatch_0&sr=
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Sorry I've been away internet's been down. EddieV made a good point about the tone of the instruments. I think it's hard to get a great tone on drums and guitar if you are doing digital recordings in the box I feel. I'm struggling with this very thing myself. Kind of makes you want to go out and buy a reel to reel and use that instead.

This recording's several years old and I believe the girl who sings on this retired and now they got a screamo singer and I didn't mention this but the guy who's playing is a soul brother so naturally he's gonna take some liberty's like the vocoder lol..Still I think it's a decent effort and that even some one like Neal Schon would approve of the improvised lead probably. The drum fills could of been a little bit stronger.

But still so many bands when they cover a song they try to make it just like the record and I think that's boring so even if this band didn't quite reach the mark I think their efforts should be respected for going outside of the box.