Thread: Sound Off

User Info Menu

Default Sound Off

Just placed as much Sound Off stuff I could find with my extra kit. The sound is reduced substantially but it maintains some sound (even improves rebound). It's exceptionally good if the volume is an issue with where you are playing and a cheaper alternative than sound proofing an entire room. Good for practicing too. Anyone sounding off?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sound Off

Quote Originally Posted by Five Magics View Post
    Just placed as much Sound Off stuff I could find with my extra kit. The sound is reduced substantially but it maintains some sound (even improves rebound). It's exceptionally good if the volume is an issue with where you are playing and a cheaper alternative than sound proofing an entire room. Good for practicing too. Anyone sounding off?

Looks good! Shoot a video and let us hear it.

Take Care
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

I tried to use mutes once and hated it. I lived in an apartment and the neighbors didn't care if I played as long as it was during certain hours.

User Info Menu

I use them, I hate them, but what are you going to do, if you need them you need them....if you require the ultimate in quiet practicing, then mesh heads are even quieter, with even more rebound. I put a piece of foam between the snare and the reso head, otherwise it makes plenty of noise still...my sound-offs seem to be drying up, disintegrating as i play them. Maybe my bsmt is dry? not sure on this one, but they're a few years old as well..

User Info Menu

I had a set and liked it but after a few months things changed and I did not require them anymore so I sold them. Wife is now working from home so I am really missing them on my days off and need to buy a new set..
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've always struggled with the idea of spending $ 1000 on drums, putting on new heads, tuning to get a good sound. and then completely wrecking the sound and performance by putting mufflers on it. I play electronic drums at home.

User Info Menu

I use them on my kit never take them off,(well once in a while),I live in a townhouse and made a quiet room in the basement ,my kit is 1975 3mm fiberglass shells 8pc(kit is complete with bottom heads) and resonates very well,they sound great actually with the sound offs, and she's loud if I take them off,I have them tuned low just above wrinkle.
    With the pads off,hitting the 16ft is like someone kicked you in the chest

Mike
    Last edited by myk; 12-29-2015 at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

I guess this beats putting towels over the heads to play quiet. I know many drummers are under noise constraints at home but I'm with 8beat on this. I feel very fortunate that I live in a rural area and my wife is a former drummer for her high school marching and stage band. No complaints from her or my neighbors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I've always struggled with the idea of spending $ 1000 on drums, putting on new heads, tuning to get a good sound. and then completely wrecking the sound and performance by putting mufflers on it. I play electronic drums at home.
    Nothing will actually replace the sound of a beautiful kit with new heads without the sound offs..Of course in an ideal situation playing the kit in its ideal manner is best but at times we don't all have that luxury.

I do have it on my extra kit and I really treat it like practice more than anything else.