Thread: Drum Practice Pad comparison

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default Drum Practice Pad comparison

Got a Blue lightning pad for Christmas so I decided to see how it sounded next to the Billy Hyde and the Evans Real Feel.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practice Pad comparison

Good info, Scotty. Thanks for posting that. I bought the large red Vater pad (w/mount for a cymbal stand) and positioned it right next to me here at the computer, thinking that it would inspire me to practice my rudiments. Nope. I still suck.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I have one in my living room, one in my computer room. and one beside my drum set to hit so I don't annoy the band at jam.

I usually get a few hours where the girlfriend isn't home that I can hit it.. haha

I found once I started using rudiments in fills/grooves I realized how important they are... too bad I only found out recently and didn't work on them for the last 15 years

User Info Menu

This pad has held out well. My hand speed and power have increased a ton in a few months as well.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the video Scotty, I wonder if any members have the Vic Firth pad I'd like to hear that in comparison to the rest. I recently purchased an Evans real feel pad just like yours, but the bottom was completely covered in rubber like the Blue Lightning pad. I bring my pad everywhere I go.

User Info Menu

I am going to buy the 6 inch blue lightning for gigs.

I take my little Billiy Hyde but its too loud to play sometimes.

I like to warm my hands up before starting with a blast beat most times

I have actualy heard good things about that Vic pad.

I have never tried the moongel pad either.. I imagine it would be good for muscle buliding, but I hear they get dirty fast.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Practice Pad comparison

Great review scottyp. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on a video. In my opinion, you've touched on all of the key elements that make a good practice pad worth its weight in gold. I've been using my Yamaha e-kit snare drum as a practice pad but it's very inconvenient to transport and I have to use it on a snare stand plus it give you a false sense of rebound. The Blue Lightening was the quietest of the three you reviewed and the rebound looks as though it replicates the best feel out of the three. Looks like I don't have any more excuses to avoid buying a "real" practice pad.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Practice Pad comparison

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Great review scottyp. Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on a video. In my opinion, you've touched on all of the key elements that make a good practice pad worth its weight in gold. I've been using my Yamaha e-kit snare drum as a practice pad but it's very inconvenient to transport and I have to use it on a snare stand plus it give you a false sense of rebound. The Blue Lightening was the quietest of the three you reviewed and the rebound looks as though it replicates the best feel out of the three. Looks like I don't have any more excuses to avoid buying a "real" practice pad.

I'm actualy going to buy their 6 inch blue lighning as well to bring to gigs... The big one is nice, and fits ontop of a 14 snare perfectly. What I want is one I can toss in a backpack for shows as well.

The red one has slightly more rebound and may be more realistic,, the blue one really makes you work for the rebound. They have a double sided one and an insert for a 3 in 1 pad.

It's just cool to have options these days.. When a bunch of company's are all being innovative rather than one running the show it forces everyone to try harder, keep prices lower, and make a better product.