Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Die cast hoops

User Info Menu

Default Die cast hoops

My Ludwig snare has triple flanged hoops and rim shots don't sound very well with them. Problem is,it's 20 ply so will any brand of hoops work or will I need to use a certain kind?
    I prefer die cast hoops on my snares so I am going to get some,just need to know if there are any problems I could run into since the shell is thicker.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Die cast hoops

Try S hoops I got them on about half of my snares. I love them. I got one on a 18 ply snare works great. Every bit as solid as a die cast hoop. Made for rim shots.

User Info Menu

For the price I'll order one today and see how it works. Thanks for the advice!

User Info Menu

I've heard (on DC) that more plies=drier sound. This may also affect the rim shot sound you're looking for. I've got triple flange on both my Ludwig Supra and my Gretsch maple and rim shots sound fine!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I ordered the S Hoop so I'll give it a try. $20 isn't much if it does the trick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn76 View Post
    I ordered the S Hoop so I'll give it a try. $20 isn't much if it does the trick.
    Let us know how they work.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Try S hoops I got them on about half of my snares. I love them. I got one on a 18 ply snare works great. Every bit as solid as a die cast hoop. Made for rim shots.
    +1 Awesome rimshots!!

User Info Menu

Can't wait to hear if the rounder rims help enough or if it's a characteristic of the shell thickness....

User Info Menu

I'll post after I get it and try it out next week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Can't wait to hear if the rounder rims help enough or if it's a characteristic of the shell thickness....
    A little of both, I think. But solid/rigid hoops definitely make a difference. I don't do many rim shots, but I do a lot of cross stick (country stuff). Just going from a 1.6mm to a 2.3mm triple flange made a big difference on my steel Tama snare. My PDP maple (10ply) with 2.3mm hoops has a killer cross stick sound.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    A little of both, I think. But solid/rigid hoops definitely make a difference. I don't do many rim shots, but I do a lot of cross stick (country stuff). Just going from a 1.6mm to a 2.3mm triple flange made a big difference on my steel Tama snare. My PDP maple (10ply) with 2.3mm hoops has a killer cross stick sound.
    It also matters to some extent where you hit the rim with the stick or where the stick rests on the head. At least in my experience it does make a difference.

Do you find that true, also, Brian?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

My Ludwig snare has triple flanged hoops and rim shots don't sound very well with them. Problem is,it's 20 ply so will any brand of hoops work or will I need to use a certain kind?
    I prefer die cast hoops on my snares so I am going to get some,just need to know if there are any problems I could run into since the shell is thicker.
    No difference in how the different hoops fit, regarding shell thickness. I try to keep a die cast hoop on at least my snare batter head for the fatness of the rimshots. That being said, my most go to snare has a triple flange on both sides. So the shell will tell you which hoop it likes the best.
    I love experimenting. I want to try wood hoops on a couple of my snares. Never spent the $ for that before.
    Good luck. Keep us informed.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I have noticed that different brand hoops sound different.
    I have a Pearl cast hoops on a mapex snare. The hoops has a little "ring" to it. Serious. It's the hoop.
    the yamaha hoops are lighter weight so they sound different too. They also have a "softer" feel.
    The gibraltar hoops ar probably closest to "standard" cast hoops. heavy and have a "hard" feel.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

I had a Pearl Masters snare that had super hoops on it and it was the perfect combination. I can't afford to buy another Pearl snare yet,but that is my goal to eventually own another.
    My Ludwig snare has I think 2.5mm Triple Flanged hoops but rim shots aren't great. It's always been in my style of playing to use rim shots a lot. Set in my ways!

User Info Menu

Like I say Shawn, Try it out and rim shot away! and you don't have to waste your sticks all up. If they don't work out, you didn't waste a lot of money. I have another hoop on order now for a 5x13 studio Taye snare 10 ply sugar maple. I'm customizing it also putting a Dunnett throw on it and brass snare wire. It's a cool little snare I picked up on CL. I wouldn't do it if it had a bad shell on it, but the shell is flawless! 65 bucks!

User Info Menu

That's my next project with the snare is a new throw off. I just have to figure out which one will fit the Ludwig Epic without drilling any new holes.

User Info Menu

Is it acceptable to mix hoops? anyone only use 1 die cast on the batter and not the reso?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Is it acceptable to mix hoops? anyone only use 1 die cast on the batter and not the reso?
    Can't see much diff. I use a 2.3 triple flange on my 8x14 Gretsch Maple snare batter side and the bottom has the standard die cast that came with it.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    It also matters to some extent where you hit the rim with the stick or where the stick rests on the head. At least in my experience it does make a difference.

Do you find that true, also, Brian?
    Absolutely. I know I sometimes move the stick around, trying to get more volume and find the "sweet spot". With the PDP snare, it seems much less sensitive to where and how you place the stick.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Like Bish says, it's the same with rimshots as it is without them...if you hit in the middle of the head you get a drier sound with less overtones. If hitting out closer to the rim you get the overtones. Rimshots near the rim have a sharper tonier sound than the beefier whack you get with the tip nearer center.
    Think "CORK" vs "WHACK."
    We all know this...we play drums. I just had to try and put it in words.
    I bet the choice of rims has an affect on the rimshots but that the super thick shell may deaden the "corkiness" of the tone.
    It may help to increase the head tensions.
    Please let us know what you find Shawn.

User Info Menu

I'll find out Monday when the new hoop arrives and I install it.
    Hopefully this will be what I expect it to be. From the look hoop,it should work ok.

User Info Menu

Got the new hoop installed and I'm impressed with it. Rimshots are much easier now. What I don't like is the space between the head and hoop but I'll adjust to it. Haven't had time to give it a good workout yet but I will later today.

User Info Menu

What I don't like is the space between the head and hoop but I'll adjust to it.
    Do you mean the appearance of the space or is there something sound wise?

User Info Menu

The appearance of the space is what is weird for me. I am sure I will adjust as long as I don't crack my knuckles on it..lol

User Info Menu

The appearance of the space is what is weird for me. I am sure I will adjust as long as I don't crack my knuckles on it..lol
    I was the same. The gap between the head and the edge of the hoop looks odd.