Thread: Beater angle when hitting BD head?

User Info Menu

Default Beater angle when hitting BD head?

Was watching a lesson video on bass drum control and the instructor mentioned some people like to position the bass drum high up on the legs in order to provide an angle on the batter side so the beater hits the head at or just before 90 degrees. I looked at mine and it is well past 90, probably about 110 or so.

Anyone else ever heard of this or tried it? I feel sick so did not experiment further yet.

Looking at my sc pedal I do not believe there is a way to position it or adjust t so the batter hits before 90 due to the distance from the head.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Beater angle when hitting BD head?

My legs get the drum just off the ground so it sits flat. I've heard about people positioning them up high, but it just doesn't really appeal to me. I would worry about clamping down the hoop to the pedal on an angle and developing cracks. My beater goes past the 90 degree mark, but not too much. My beaters are fairly big.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

MDK - what kind of sound/attack do you get out of that VF beater?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post

Those beaters are top heavy.

I bought a pair about 6 months ago and I don't think they have been on my pedal for more than 5 minutes.

User Info Menu

MDK, you can adjust the beater to hit at any angle, just use the Allen wrench that should be on your pedal drum key to loosen the beater holder. I adjust my SC beater angle every time I play kicks with deep hoops.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Pretty boomy, even when burying it I get more attack than the beater that came with it. Turning it sideways I still get good attack but is a different feel that I am not used to so I just use it straight on

Quote Originally Posted by slinglangnder View Post
    MDK, you can adjust the beater to hit at any angle, just use the Allen wrench that should be on your pedal drum key to loosen the beater holder. I adjust my SC beater angle every time I play kicks with deep hoops.
    Hmmm Looking at the 1st pic I am having a hard time seeing how I could adjust it so the beater is against the head before or even at 90 without the chain being way to short but I guess I need to play with it. Do you have a pic of yours?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Not sure of the angle of my beater. I am about 3-4 inches away from the batter of which gives me enough room for re-bounce and attack. Most drummers I know use that measurement to determine the best action possible for the beater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Not sure of the angle of my beater. I am about 3-4 inches away from the batter of which gives me enough room for re-bounce and attack. Most drummers I know use that measurement to determine the best action possible for the beater.
    3-4" away without your foot on the pedal? WOW I would guess mine is atleast 6-8" away at rest?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Yes MDK that is what I meant at rest. Maybe if you shorten the distance to 3-4 inches see what happens. Also beater should smack right in the middle of the head. I also see in the photo that beater is not hitting flat or is just an illusion lol.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 01-04-2016 at 10:01 AM.

User Info Menu

Strange beater. Looks like a marshmallow or something.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I keep my bassdrum a minimum of 2" off the ground.
    Helps keep it flatter but also helps it project as it goes up more

User Info Menu

Looks like the actual beater-head is hitting exactly as it's meant to.
    If the beater arm was hitting at 90 degrees or just above then the beater head wouldn't be hitting even close to flat.
    Being that the beater-head is flattened-off as such then I'd assume you're wanting it to hit near flush, and that's what is already happening as best I can see from the pics.

User Info Menu

MDK, I think I mis-read your post...I don't think you can hit at 90° unless the beater is shaped more like a mallet/hammer and not round or as flat as yours.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT

User Info Menu

At first, I thought you were using a boiled egg as a beater, LOL.

It's a function of hoop depth and drum diameter. The more extended you have the beater rod, the less angle it will be at when it strikes the head.....BUT, the farther it will travel in its arc and the more inertia it will have, making it harder to control. Smaller bass drums result in a larger angle of contact, but using a riser will help. One advantage of 24"+ diameter bass.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I think it's just a matter of hoop depth. Remember the problems with some Ludwig Speed Kings where they fit so close to the batter head that they scratch it with every hit? But another version doesn't do that because one was made for Ludwig's deeper(trendy at the time) hoops, the other for normal hoops.

And if you tilt the kick up in the front, the batter head tilts back and gets closer than usual to the pedal...sometimes so close the pedal cams scrape the heads.