Thread: Stereo systems

User Info Menu

Default Stereo systems

There probably won't be too many on the forum with a stereo system, but for those that do, what receiver do you use? I'm starting to put a system together and need a good affordable receiver. I currently use a sony ps lx300usb turntable hooked up to a home Theater system.

I'm looking at the Onkyo TX-8020. Still haven't decided on speakers.
    What's your setup?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stereo systems

As a hobby I collect and repair vintage hi fi . I only have two receivers , both awesome . One Is a Yamaha CR 840 and the other is a small Harman/Kardon 430 twin powered . Both have excellent phono preamps . Most of the other stuff I have are separates , integrated amp and tuner or preamp/tuner/power amp .
    Most of the newer stuff doesn't come with a phono input . So keep that in mind when you shop . That Onkyo looks pretty good . What speakers are you going to use with it ?
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I wish I had a dedicated stereo/TV room but I abandoned the stereo system for a home entertainment center for the big screen TV. When that system died, I opted for a simple speaker "bar" with a small subwoofer for the TV.

The garage where I spend most of my time, I use my PA system (mono mix) and run my Iphone through the PA.

User Info Menu

I have two Yamaha surround systems with sub woofers, they sound great.
    One in the family room hooked up to the TV and turntable and one in the drum room for my head set.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    As a hobby I collect and repair vintage hi fi . I only have two receivers , both awesome . One Is a Yamaha CR 840 and the other is a small Harman/Kardon 430 twin powered . Both have excellent phono preamps . Most of the other stuff I have are separates , integrated amp and tuner or preamp/tuner/power amp .
    Most of the newer stuff doesn't come with a phono input . So keep that in mind when you shop . That Onkyo looks pretty good . What speakers are you going to use with it ?
    Rudy .
    The main reason I'm looking at the Onkyo is because it actually has a phono input with a preamp. Right now I have a Jvc subwoofer and a few Jvc speakers but I plan on upgrading because they're the speakers from a surround sound.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I was once a Marantz guy with Infinity speakers.
    Sounded great in the day

all the best...

User Info Menu

My bedroom stuff :
    B&K St140 amp,Harman Kardon Citation 21 preamp .PSB Image 2.5 speakers , Marantz DV4001 and a Pioneer N30 network player.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I have a wonderful Polk Audio stereo for old main TV in the basement. Bought it years ago and its a power house.

Upstairs I have a very decent Sony setup and it's a nice reasonable receiver. I don't know series off top of my head though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    The main reason I'm looking at the Onkyo is because it actually has a phono input with a preamp. Right now I have a Jvc subwoofer and a few Jvc speakers but I plan on upgrading because they're the speakers from a surround sound.
    Well I looked up the Sony turntable you have and according to the spec sheet it already has a built in phono preamp . So you could use any receiver as long as you plug it into the AUX input . Plugging it into the phono input might overload it and cause some problems .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Well I looked up the Sony turntable you have and according to the spec sheet it already has a built in phono preamp . So you could use any receiver as long as you plug it into the AUX input . Plugging it into the phono input might overload it and cause some problems .
    Rudy .
    Ah,the analog conundrum.
    Back in my analog days I owned many a turntable and cartridge(Ariston RD 40,Micro Seiki tonearm,Ortofon OM10)

Folks don't seem to get that if you use a USB turntable ,the preamp goes through an A to D converter basically negating any of the vinyl sound that some folks seem to prefer.

Unless you have an original analog tape of the recording,you are pretty much wasting your money on all the do dads being sold to you.

Most folks record DDD these days ,so pressing it to vinyl is an oxymoron.

I guess some folks don't get that the less steps in between that original source and the system reproducing it ,the better.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

We have a setup in our band practice room. My brother has 100's of vinyl LPs from the 60s/70s. We listen to them for song material. IIRC, it's an old Harmen-Kardon ""Stereo Festival" tube receiver, an old Gerrard turntable and some old Advent speakers. Not real loud, but sure sounds sweet.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    My bedroom stuff :
    B&K St140 amp,Harman Kardon Citation 21 preamp .PSB Image 2.5 speakers , Marantz DV4001 and a Pioneer N30 network player.
    Holy Smokes!

User Info Menu

One of the perks of high end gear is it was meant to last many years.

Even buying used and the gear is 5 or 10 years old ,it will last at least another 5 or 10 if you don't abuse it.

Some of the gear I own was bought used and unlike the flavor of the month mid fi stuff ,is built to last many many years.

Bryston warrants their gear for 20 years.
    So if you buy a 10 year old Bryston amplifier or pre amp ,it's still got anther 10 years of warranty.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    One of the perks of high end gear is it was meant to last many years.

Even buying used and the gear is 5 or 10 years old ,it will last at least another 5 or 10 if you don't abuse it.

Some of the gear I own was bought used and unlike the flavor of the month mid fi stuff ,is built to last many many years.

Bryston warrants their gear for 20 years.
    So if you buy a 10 year old Bryston amplifier or pre amp ,it's still got anther 10 years of warranty.
    I find stuff on Craigslist and at the Goodwill/Salvation Army . Most of the stuff just needs to be relamped and occasionally I have to replace the caps in the power supply . All need a good Deoxing of the pots and insides . Reset the bias in the power section .
    That picture is my bedroom set up . Man you gotta love them big meters ! I got the whole stack for $20 off of Craigslist .But it needed some TLC before I could get it up and running . I had to put in all new lamps and re glue the rosewood laminates on the sides . I had to replace all the speaker posts on the back of the power amp as they were all broken , as well as the output jacks on the preamp . Luckily all the caps were still within specs so I didn't have change any of them . Once I got it all cleaned up she came to life and is one beauty of a set up !
    Onkyo :
    M 506 RS power amp
    P 306 RS preamp
    T-9090 tuner
    I have it hooked up to a pair of JBL L-19 speakers that I also restored .
    Rudy.

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Rudy .
    Thanks for the info! I was aware of the preamp but i've been looking at some vintage turntables so if I do go with the Onkyo, I won't have to buy a preamp. The only problem is that every single store is sold out at the moment.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I find stuff on Craigslist and at the Goodwill/Salvation Army . Most of the stuff just needs to be relamped and occasionally I have to replace the caps in the power supply . All need a good Deoxing of the pots and insides . Reset the bias in the power section .
    That picture is my bedroom set up . Man you gotta love them big meters ! I got the whole stack for $20 off of Craigslist .But it needed some TLC before I could get it up and running . I had to put in all new lamps and re glue the rosewood laminates on the sides . I had to replace all the speaker posts on the back of the power amp as they were all broken , as well as the output jacks on the preamp . Luckily all the caps were still within specs so I didn't have change any of them . Once I got it all cleaned up she came to life and is one beauty of a set up !
    Onkyo :
    M 506 RS power amp
    P 306 RS preamp
    T-9090 tuner
    I have it hooked up to a pair of JBL L-19 speakers that I also restored .
    Rudy.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Wow Rudy...you got some major skills bro! Very cool.

User Info Menu

Nice setup, Rudy.
    Signature here