Thread: X Hats mount

User Info Menu

Default X Hats mount

Been wanting to put a second set of hats (non-cable) into my setup for awhile now and now seems like a good time. Before RDM i was using more stuff than i really wanted to. I'm now minus 2 stands, a china, a double pedal and some percussion stuff.

I want to mount them off a cymbal stand with the clamp I have but after shopping around there doesn't seem to be many options. Gibraltar makes one that screws into the top of a cymbal stand, there's a Tama one that works off a boom arm, a DW one that works the same as the Gibraltar.....

What I'm looking for is like a quarter of a hi hat stand that will just slip into the clamp. Seems like I've seen them like that before or maybe it was the remote cable ones i can't really remember. It would be fun to have a remote setup but don't really want another pedal to deal with. It doesn't need to have action anyway, just want to set it and forget it.

anyone have any homemade mounts?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: X Hats mount

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Been wanting to put a second set of hats (non-cable) into my setup for awhile now and now seems like a good time. Before RDM i was using more stuff than i really wanted to. I'm now minus 2 stands, a china, a double pedal and some percussion stuff.

I want to mount them off a cymbal stand with the clamp I have but after shopping around there doesn't seem to be many options. Gibraltar makes one that screws into the top of a cymbal stand, there's a Tama one that works off a boom arm, a DW one that works the same as the Gibraltar.....

What I'm looking for is like a quarter of a hi hat stand that will just slip into the clamp. Seems like I've seen them like that before or maybe it was the remote cable ones i can't really remember. It would be fun to have a remote setup but don't really want another pedal to deal with. It doesn't need to have action anyway, just want to set it and forget it.

anyone have any homemade mounts?
    Hey slinky! I know what you're talking about. I wanted one just as you described but ended up DIY out of an old Ludwig hihat stand. I can mount it on a cymbal stand or mount it to a rack. I cut the upper hihat shaft down and JB welded the modified pieces.

I left the original hihat spring intact so the tension thumb wheel adjuster would still provide some tension in the shaft. I feels like your foot is still on the pedal.

I can mount it to an old Ludwig Hercules stand...

...or mount it to a rack.

User Info Menu

View from the other side of the rack:

User Info Menu

I've used the clamped on cymbal boom to attach the Gibraltar Xhat holder, but then you could get a 2" metal washer and a HH felt washer and just mount them on a regular cymbal stand that has a long enough stem for 2 hats. Who really needs the top HH clamp?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I put the top half of an old hh stand into a rather skinny old cymbal stand and it holds the bottom hat and then the top just sits there on the rod. the top cymbal is in the clamp attached to the rod but has no pressure because the rod isn't attached to anything. I probably need to actually buy an x-hat system, but I would keep it loose anyway so I don't see a point.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Check out the Billdidit XChanger...you could probably make something similar yourself for even less but the price is reasonable, and you can adjust the hi-hat tension on the fly by pushing a switch left or right. It does take a minute to set up, but I imagine after doing that for a while it'd become quicker.

User Info Menu

see my earlier thread for another idea :

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...4.html?t=34074

User Info Menu

Really appreciate all the responses and Rich your pics are superb as usual. Sorry it took awhile to get back to the thread I had some stuff going on last night but after a little more searching I found exactly what I was looking for and want to pass this on to you guys because you might be interested in picking one up.

This is from a shop called Electronic Drum Center. These are on sale right now for $19.99. Marked down from $39.99 looks like it's made pretty well and has a good clean look. Check out this store if you have e-kits there's other stuff marked down.

Last edited by slinky; 01-05-2016 at 01:55 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I have a couple of the Gibraltar hi-hat booms and they work great. Can mount them off anything. Has always been quick and simple and worked great for me.

User Info Menu

Is this the kind of thing you're after?

It's the Mapex Auxiliary Hi-Hat (Model # MXHH1).
    Last edited by BigFatDrummer; 01-05-2016 at 08:00 AM.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Is this the kind of thing you're after?

It's the Mapex Auxiliary Hi-Hat (Model # MXHH1).
    exactly. Weird that during the search those didn't come up even on ebay. I got the one I mentioned in my last post from EDC. Seemed like a good buy.

Saw these just now also from Mapex. Pretty slick having one on a ball for unrestricted positioning.

Last edited by slinky; 01-05-2016 at 01:58 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    see my earlier thread for another idea :

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...4.html?t=34074
    thanks Joe, looks good I missed that the first time around. Someone mentioned in your thread that the cost of x hat mounts are pretty pricey. Some go up towards $70!. I was looking at an extra beater I have last night and the shaft off that would somehow work for a diy build.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I use the DW X-hat. Pricey at $85.00+ but bulletproof:

User Info Menu

exactly. Weird that during the search those didn't come up even on ebay. I got the one I mentioned in my last post from EDC. Seemed like a good buy.

Saw these just now also from Mapex. Pretty slick having one on a ball for unrestricted positioning.

that ball joint would be nice.. I have an old school Yamaha mount and it's on the tooth gears.. I can never get it exactly right where I want it.. but it's close enough

User Info Menu

Hi,This is my save cost & simple X-Hat mount.Just cut a metal pipe(can fit into the hi-hat clutch).I use the Taiwan made multi-clamp for the x-hat.Total cost for this project(Hi-hat/clamp not include)about $5!!!!

Wonder1

User Info Menu

^looks like you'd only be able to run some small hi-hat cymbals on that arm?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^looks like you'd only be able to run some small hi-hat cymbals on that arm?
    Yes! 8" mini-hat.

i

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    that ball joint would be nice.. I have an old school Yamaha mount and it's on the tooth gears.. I can never get it exactly right where I want it.. but it's close enough
    That ball joint is just Mapex's standard single tom mount. Pretty much one of the best tom mounts I've used. It looks like the X-Hat mount simply attaches to a tom mount.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

This is what I'm using, I think it's a PDP but can't remember. $20.00

User Info Menu

Really appreciate all the responses and Rich your pics are superb as usual. Sorry it took awhile to get back to the thread I had some stuff going on last night but after a little more searching I found exactly what I was looking for and want to pass this on to you guys because you might be interested in picking one up.

This is from a shop called Electronic Drum Center. These are on sale right now for $19.99. Marked down from $39.99 looks like it's made pretty well and has a good clean look. Check out this store if you have e-kits there's other stuff marked down.

Yup that's just like mine

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    This is what I'm using, I think it's a PDP but can't remember. $20.00
    That's interesting idea : using edge-up china as top x-hh, contours with the bottom instead of opposing it. An inverted stack, with the added advantage of a clutch to adjust the gap.
    Last edited by JoePasko; 01-09-2016 at 07:33 AM.