Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you 'clean' your drums?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How often do you 'clean' your drums?

Quote Originally Posted by Zappahart View Post
    What kind of lube should i use on my lugs?.Sorry not a reply but a question.
    I use a small dab of Vaseline after i wipe the lugs down

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    I use a small dab of Vaseline after i wipe the lugs down
    Vaseline really? Never thought of that.

I use a graphite powder that I use on car stuff

User Info Menu

I've always applied a mini-dab of vaseline to the tension rod threads when reassembling after a head change or whatever.

User Info Menu

Vaseline..wow i thought there was some kind of fancy 10 buck per tube stuff.cool.

User Info Menu

Vaseline..wow i thought there was some kind of fancy 10 buck per tube stuff.cool.
    There should be! LOL I know drummers would buy it.

3 legged kitchen stool= $20 call it a drummers throne= $80

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    There should be! LOL I know drummers would buy it.

3 legged kitchen stool= $20 call it a drummers throne= $80

LOL

all the best...
    Very true. Rebranding is wonderful thing at a retail level. BTW, the Vaseline is for when the store.... nevermind
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    I put a dust cover over my kit now, so dusting isn't too big of any issue. But just spot checking all of the gear and cymbals is something I could do more of.
    I found that a clear vinyl painter's drop cloth makes a great drum set cover. They're dirt cheap, available in a variety of sizes and thickness...even at Walmart, and they are water proof. I carry a brand new one (still in the wrapper) in my hardware bag. If we ever get caught in a rain shower, dust storm or direct sun during an outdoor gig, I'll always have it handy.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

What kind of lube should i use on my lugs?.Sorry not a reply but a question.
    I use Lithium grease to lube my lugs. It can be found in most auto parts store.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I found that a clear vinyl painter's drop cloth makes a great drum set cover. They're dirt cheap, available in a variety of sizes and thickness...even at Walmart, and they are water proof. I carry a brand new one (still in the wrapper) in my hardware bag. If we ever get caught in a rain shower, dust storm or direct sun during an outdoor gig, I'll always have it handy.
    I'll use either old bed sheets in the garage or I'll use the vinyl cover from a "pop up" tent at gigs.

User Info Menu

My bass drum is covered in dust. Probably should clean it because it's such a nice color. Also the stick fragments covering my rug. Those I should clean because I play in socks or barefoot.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I use king size bed sheets to cover kits.
    I'd stay away from vinyl or plastic covers outdoors if it is sunny warm outside because it will warp wrapped drums.
    The clear plastic drop cloth I used gave it a nice "greenhouse" effect with bad results.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...1.html?t=21741

If the kit gets dusty, these Swiffer Dusters are awesome. They fit under the tension rod between the lug and hoop nice to clean it up great too!

Last edited by Olimpass; 01-08-2016 at 08:44 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I use king size bed sheets to cover kits.
    I'd stay away from vinyl or plastic covers outdoors if it is sunny warm outside because it will warp wrapped drums.
    The clear plastic drop cloth I used gave it a nice "greenhouse" effect with bad results.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...1.html?t=21741

If the kit gets dusty, these Swiffer Dusters are awesome. They fit under the tesion rod between the lug and hoop nice to clean it up great too!

Wow. Never thought of that. Thanks for the "heads up".....but sorry you had to find out the hard way. Guess I'll be taking a bed sheet along if it's going to be out in the sun.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I run a micro-fibre towel over my drums and cymbals every couple of days or so. That works. I find some sticks really throw the saw dust more than others. I vacuum around my kit every other week.

I add Vaseline to my tension rods every time I change a head.

Cheers all.

Rich
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    If the kit gets dusty, these Swiffer Dusters are awesome. They fit under the tension rod between the lug and hoop nice to clean it up great too!

What an awesome idea. I'll have to try that!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Feather duster every week or two, and before every show. Wipe down the stands when the feather duster stops being enough. Every couple years I tear the whole thing down to the bare shells. I give all the lugs a light bath in mildly soapy water and polish the bare shells and all the stands. Then I reassemble and put on new heads, top and bottom. The cymbals I dust with the kit and give an occasional complete wipe down. Once a year I give them a bath and buff. I use all of my gear a lot, and most of it has seen quite a bit of road, but it still looks new, shiny and professional. I don't over clean, but I never let them get filthy, and I always use hard cases when I move them.
    Last edited by SunDog; 01-08-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I use these giant heavy heavy duty industrial poly bags from work.
    They're actually bin liners for bulk dry ice--for big bunkers that hold about 1800kg of dry ice. So they're more than game enough to cover amps, speakers, drums, etc. when it rains!

And no I didn't steal them--we don't use them much anymore so I asked my boss and he let me take a roll. Score.