Thread: Mark Guiliana

User Info Menu

Default Mark Guiliana

Mark Guiliana

Drummer: Mark Guiliana
    Main Style: Jazz
    Main Band: various
    Brief Summary: Mark Guiliana (born Sept. 2nd, 1980, Florham Park, New Jersey, United States) is an American drummer, composer, and leader of the band Beat Music. He is known for his playing with Avishai Cohen, Brad Mehldau, David Bowie, Meshell Ndegeocello, Gretchen Parlato, Jason Lindner, Lionel Loueke, Dhafer Youssef, Tigran Hamasyan, Matisyahu, European piano trio Phronesis and his old band Heernt.
    Other Facts: Guiliana has been described by the New York Times as “a drummer around whom a cult of admiration has formed,” while Time Out London writes: "What happens when you add hard bop drum masters Elvin Jones and Art Blakey to a 1980s Roland 808 drum machine, divide the result by J Dilla and then multiply to the power of Squarepusher? Answer: Mark Guiliana."

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mark Guiliana

He's one of the most innovative drummers out there. Fantastic player!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Isn't that Zoolander playing the drums in the 1st post?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Isn't that Zoolander playing the drums in the 1st post?
    That shot does look a lot like Ben Stiller Rick...lol

User Info Menu

My son has taken a couple of private lessons, via Skype, with Mark Guiliana and he said they were great. Just the conversations alone about his approach to drumming my son found to be very inspirational.

User Info Menu

hahahahaha zoolander lol

I won't lie I don't recognize the name... I'll do some digging

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I won't lie I'm surprised but I don't recognize the name! I'l start watching his videos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I won't lie I'm surprised but I don't recognize the name! I'l start watching his videos
    A lot of the jazz guys don't get the covers like the rock guys. They don't sell as many magazines. That's just reality. But this dude is insane! ... and very innovative.

User Info Menu

Got to see him with Brad Mehldau and John Scofield at the North Sea Jazz Festival with my son, who is a pretty accomplished HS jazz drummer. There were a lot of great drummers (as you can imagine) at the festival, but this guy really stood out with his great chops but more impressive his willingness to take risks . . . and even miss a hit or two. You really got the feeling that a lot was at stake, a feeling that is sometimes missing in super polished pro drummers, however impressive they might be.