Thread: Pearl Jungle Kit with Optimount system on Mapex Kit?

User Info Menu

Default Pearl Jungle Kit with Optimount system on Mapex Kit?

Hi,
    I own a Mapex Black Panther Kit and wish to use my 18 diameter x 16 depth FT as a BD now and again.

Does anyone know or have experience in using Pearl's Jungle Kit adapter with and the Pearl Optimount system on Mapex toms?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Jungle Kit with Optimount system on Mapex Kit?

That kit will work on ANY drum . I have one on my REMO 16" floor tom . Works great !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Yep, I use the Pearl JG16 kit on a home-made jungle kit. It works pretty well. However, I don't use it with an opti-mount. I literally installed a 7/8 tube mount bracket (like the Pearl BT-3) directly to the shell. It was an old, cheap 6-lug 16" X 15" shell that will never be used as a floor tom again. The Opti-mount will work good.....which is basically what the JG-16 is designed for.

I do have an occasional issue with the drum working its way up the riser post and then the kick pedal starts to skew sideways. It only happens about halfway into a 4hr gig. I suspect it's due to the cheap BT-3 bracket I used. It's not a genuine Pearl. It was an old Taiwan bracket I had laying around and it uses a set screw rather than a true split clamp design.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I see that term 'jungle kit', often. Does it specifically mean any drum set with a floor tom used as a kick drum ? Or any set-up with a small-ish bass drum ? Is there more to being a jungle kit, than just the diameter of the bass drum ? And why "jungle" ? Forgive my ignorance, I am curious about the term.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by JoePasko; 01-13-2016 at 05:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    I see that term 'jungle kit', often. Does it specifically mean any drum set with a floor tom used as a kick drum ? Or any set-up with a small-ish bass drum ? Is there more to being a jungle kit, than just the diameter of the bass drum ? And why "jungle" ? Forgive my ignorance, I am curious about the term.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ya'know...that's a good question. My main rig fits the bill as being a "jungle" set and I've being playing it since before I even heard the term. Mine are the USA Gretsch in natural maple. 18" converted tom (bass) 10" mounted tom and 14" floor. A beauty to play In both ergonomics and in sound. So, I don't know if it qualifies as a jungle or a bop set. It seems to me that Sonor were the first one's to use the term, on what was essentially a mini set, including a 10" tambourine/snare drum.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks Kay-gee. Are you saying you are using it with an 18'' diameter FT? Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnsand View Post
    Thanks Kay-gee. Are you saying you are using it with an 18'' diameter FT? Cheers
    I simply built a lifter. (you can make one for less than $2 with stuff from around the house) I wasn't really using the 18" floor any way so I built a lifter and using the already existing leg brackets and some Gibraltar L arms, converted it to a kick drum.

all the best...