View Poll Results: What grip do you use?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Traditional

7 23.33%
  • Matched

17 56.67%
  • Both

6 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional vs Matched

User Info Menu

Default Traditional vs Matched

What do you play?

User Info Menu

Matched for me

User Info Menu

Matched yay
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

i love trad
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Matched for metal, trad for everything else. Just can't pull off blast beats with trad.

EDIT: I was taught matched but I learnt trad by myself a a decade tops, probably 8-7 years ago. I mainly do it just because I feel nice for keeping on with the tradition.
    Last edited by Roger; 01-19-2008 at 03:43 AM.

User Info Menu

i think traditional is more for the marching drummer??thats what my instructor says anyway,i learned the matched

User Info Menu

There are a lot of drummers that use traditional, Dave Weckl is a good example.

I can play both but I only play matched because i play a lot with the... uhm, how is it called, hmmm... "caja" in spanish. you play it with your hand on the snare and hit the rim with the stick (NOT rimshot).

anyways...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Punk View Post

I can play both but I only play matched because i play a lot with the... uhm, how is it called, hmmm... "caja" in spanish. you play it with your hand on the snare and hit the rim with the stick (NOT rimshot).

anyways...
    Rim click. =)

User Info Menu

thanks! you always learn something new every day :D

User Info Menu

Default Both

I use both , i like traditional for most but sometimes i want to do a little bit faster fills or gawks so i switch

User Info Menu

Matched but I switched from traditional years ago. I could comfortably go back to traditional if I wanted to but have no desire, except when I play brushes.

User Info Menu

Matched for me.

ThePloughman Guest

Some things just brush better with traditional grip over matched.

User Info Menu

Cool Traditional vs. Matched

Quote Originally Posted by Church Punk View Post

anyways...
    CP, are you sure you don't mean "cascara" (often used on timbales), in which you play the side shell of the snare?

Back to the question:

For me, it's trad, dad!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

matched for me but I also want to learn traditional
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Some things just brush better with traditional grip over matched.
    Your right I play brushes with tradional grip.

User Info Menu

Learnt with traditional and took me a while to get used to matched, but I play both now depending on what im playing.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    i think traditional is more for the marching drummer??thats what my instructor says anyway,i learned the matched
    Not necessarily, if you notice a lot of jazz drummers use traditional extensively.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    CP, are you sure you don't mean "cascara" (often used on timbales), in which you play the side shell of the snare?

Back to the question:

For me, it's trad, dad!
    hmmm havent heard of cascara... didnt know it was a spanish word for drums either (cáscara is the peel of a say fruit)

but i am sure that is what Roger said, rim click... just did a quick search in google and it is that.

i use it in ballads mostly (bossa nova style), and to change fast from rim click to toms is easier with matched than with traditional. I guess we latin drumers have a tendency to play this way?
    Last edited by Church Punk; 01-19-2008 at 02:32 PM.

User Info Menu

i play with both oh the styles but mostly matched.
    The style depends of the music you play, for example when you play metal you play matched for power
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

see..this is a predicament i am in just starting out on drums...i acquired two sticks from a freebie bin at the music store...one's a jazz and one's a rock stick which is annoying now but i didn't think it would matter when i picked them..when i sit down at my friends kit...i naturally hold the sticks traditional grip....and i really wanna model my drumming after mitch mitchell and to some extent keith moon...but yes..i naturally pick them up in trad when i'm playing closed on the hats but when i'm playing on the ride which i prefer....i feel more inclined to play matched coz i can slam the snare. i notice mitch mitchell changes his grip alot when he;s playing and i'm really debating which grip i should practice with?(seeing as how i don't have a kit and am just practicing singles, doubles and paradiddles on pillows and various other items).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sticksizematters View Post
    see..this is a predicament i am in just starting out on drums...i acquired two sticks from a freebie bin at the music store...one's a jazz and one's a rock stick which is annoying now but i didn't think it would matter when i picked them..when i sit down at my friends kit...i naturally hold the sticks traditional grip....and i really wanna model my drumming after mitch mitchell and to some extent keith moon...but yes..i naturally pick them up in trad when i'm playing closed on the hats but when i'm playing on the ride which i prefer....i feel more inclined to play matched coz i can slam the snare. i notice mitch mitchell changes his grip alot when he;s playing and i'm really debating which grip i should practice with?(seeing as how i don't have a kit and am just practicing singles, doubles and paradiddles on pillows and various other items).
    Practice both!
    It will make you a better more versatile drummer.

User Info Menu

Neither!!! I'm giving up drumming in favor of ballet!!!

Oh, OK, it's matched grip. You guys never bought that ballet thing anyway, right? Right?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Traditional vs Matched

OLA como estas' too all you ARTISTIC ARTIST (DRUMMERS)
    I play Traditional ,their is advantvantage's too both Grips,Many years ago
    when I was 10 years I started(CREATED what I call the Left hand Fan STROKE)develop*You can see & watch this on my Videos Here,anyways
    I really use both Grips. As each Technique I created other Techniques
    which are very useful *within Every style of Music,I also use Another technique with the Fingers Total Independent Control of Your Fingers ,which
    Is very useful while Playing (PERFORMING )Lightly Quite within Jazz Infact where ever its Solf & Smooth you can apply this within Every STYLE of Music. I love any grip ,they both work well.
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Cool Traditional vs Matched

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Neither!!! I'm giving up drumming in favor of ballet!!!

Oh, OK, it's matched grip. You guys never bought that ballet thing anyway, right? Right?
    (This isn't a side effect of my Corrupt-A-Wish about your wish to learn hand drumming, is it? SCARY! )

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck