Thread: Sonor SQ2 Wood/shell thickness help!

User Info Menu

Default Sonor SQ2 Wood/shell thickness help!

Hey everyone! please help me !!

I am ordering an SQ2 kit very soon and I really need some advice/ opinions.

I already own a Starclassic Burch/Bubinga kit -"big kit"- 8/10/12/14/16/22
    The B/B kits are known to be very attacky with low end and lots of bite/punch also a fairly unique sound-you'll know if you've tried them.
    They are a medium thickness shell at 6mm -toms/ with 8mm shells -kick.
    Great kit especially for louder settings etc... Still quite versatile.

I am looking to have a MUCH smaller Sq2 kit with /10/14/20 -Versatile and can do 90% of gigs.

My dilemma is with wood choice and thickness ( apparently thickness is by far the biggest factor in relation to sound with wood trailing behind) If I didn't have a medium shell tama b/b id probably go with medium beech or maple (likely beech) HOWEVER because both kits are 6mm I worry that they will be closer than Id like in terms of sound. Do you think the quality/wood/craftsman ship will still make a huge difference ? Having said that I am a versatile player (trying to do this professionally/full time) and maybe having two fairly versatile medium kits does make sense... Not sure.

I am thinking about the vintage beech on toms with a medium kick to get a versatile sound, but im not completely sold on vintage or thin beech(mainly because of my lack of experience with them and I know more of the sound ill be getting with medium.) Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU ALL

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor SQ2 Wood/shell thickness help!

Thin, thin, thin!!! Thin maple shells are the best (IMO) and Sonor makes one of the thinnest. Why are you second guessing this? Thin=lower, this should be important given your choice of smaller sizes. Forget about what you already have, make this kit sound as good as it can. Also, beech has excellent sound qualities, so have confidence if you do go in that direction. GL.
    Last edited by SunDog; 01-16-2016 at 05:24 PM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Thick shells = less shell resonance, more "head" sound, more volume
    Thin shells = more shell resonance, more "woody" sound, reduced volume

Basically, the thicker the shell, the less it's affected by the sound vibrations and the more efficiently those vibrations are transferred to the heads.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Thin, thin, thin!!! Thin maple shells are the best (IMO) and Sonor makes one of the thinnest. Why are you second guessing this? Thin=lower, this should be important given your choice of smaller sizes. Forget about what you already have, make this kit sound as good as it can. Also, beech has excellent sound qualities, so have confidence if you do go in that direction. GL.
    Thanks for the advice- Well if I did go thin then it would be quite different than the B/B which would be cool. I wonder how different thin maple is from the vintage/prolites?

User Info Menu

Wow, a Sonor SQ2! I love my cherry DW Collector's kit, but my ultra dream kit would be a Sonor SQ2. I had thought, when doing some pricing, just for fun, that the Sonors were not much more than the DWs However, after punching though the details, they really were a LOT more than even DW Collectors exotic with hardware other than chrome. My cherry kit was not considered exotic, so I saved there. My hat is off to you on your Sonors, though! If i ordered the same kit as my DW (6 piece, not including a snare), I'd have had to get a second mortgage! Would love to hear (and see) what you end up with!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare