Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixing cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mixing cymbals

I think I'd feel pretty comfortable challenging most anyone to correctly guess what brand pie I'm banging on. Really don't think it matters acoustically. Now, for those of us that are OCD, then visually, yeah maybe it matters........a little.

User Info Menu

I think the fact that I have a lot of one kind of cymbal is, after a lot of trying, that brand just has something that my ears favor for the type of music I often play. That said, if I am looking for "that sound," it is without concern for who makes it. I will try every cymbal in a shop (the more the better), of the type I am looking for (effects, crash-ride, ride, etc.) and when I find it, welcome to the family.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

I play all Paiste cymbals.
    Maybe I'll get a China from different company then.
    Yamaha Stage Custom Birch (CR):
    20,12,10 + 14x5,5" PDP Maple/Bubinga snare
    Tama hardware
    Remo drumheads
    Paiste cymbals

User Info Menu

I think it's all about your opinion. The most important thing is that cymbals sounds good together.

Me myself: I have some kinda fixation that my cymbals should be same brand, dunno why.. Same thing is with drums.. It bugs me a bit; I have Pearl drums, Pearl snare, Pearl hardware BUT Iron Cobra double pedals and hi-hat stand, one Tama boom stand and one Yamaha clamp.. I have even Pearl tambourine with Pearl percussion holder.. I've wondered, should I switch my Iron Cobras to Eliminators or Demon Drives and swap that one boom stand to equivalent Pearl stand.. But I think I try to get use to this situation and try to relieve my fixation...
    Pearl VBL Concord fade (22" bd, 8"-10"-12"-14"-16" tt)
    Pearl JJ1365 Joey Jordison signature snare
    Sabian AAX cymbal setup (14" X-plosion hats, 8" Splash, 14" Crash, 16"-18" Fast Crashes, 18" China, 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride)
    Tama Iron Cobra douple pedal (powerglide) and HH-stand (flexi glide)

User Info Menu

I mix Cymbal brands too, I use a Zildjian Pitch Black 22" ride, Zildjian 15" custom china, Paiste 16 PSX Crash and 16' Stagg DH Crash with Sabian Hihats I buy cymbals with my ears not my eyes, lol

User Info Menu

I used to keep it to only Sabians, but after trying other brands, I've discovered that I just can't beat my 13" Zildjian New Beats, and I love my 8" and 10" Wuhan splashes. So now I don't care so much about brands or labels.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I play Zildjian A custom master hats. 16, 17, 19 AAX darks, A custom splash, and AAX stage ride. Like many here I acquired them one at a time.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

I am a bit ocd to a degree. I was going for an all Sabian setup initially, but then I came across Impression cymbals in a local shop and grabbed a bunch of them as well.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I'm another who believes it's fine to mix cymbal brands. I have mostly Sabian AAXs, but I have a Zildjian A splash and an Istanbul sizzle splash. I like them all, & think they work fine together.

User Info Menu

Big time OCD

I made sure I have all Tama hardware and matching Sabian cymbals. I dont want a frankenstein kit.
    TAMA HYPERDRIVE BIRCH (rare champagne sparkle finish), TAMA hardware and SABIAN cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I think I'd feel pretty comfortable challenging most anyone to correctly guess what brand pie I'm banging on. Really don't think it matters acoustically. Now, for those of us that are OCD, then visually, yeah maybe it matters........a little.
    +1.................if a cymbal sounds great, I really don't care what label is on it..............but, aesthetically it always looks better when cymbals match

User Info Menu

Versatility Rocks!
    14" A Zildjian New Beat Hi Hats
    16" HHX Sabian Stage Crash
    16" AAX Sabian Metal Crash
    18" AAX Sabian X-Plosion Crash
    20" K Custom Session Zildjian Ride
    10" Sabian B8 Pro Splash
    8" Wuhan Splash
    16" Wuhan China
    Aux. HiHats - 14" AA Regular hats bottom (played on top) with Paiste 2002 17" crash cut down to 14" (played on bottom)

User Info Menu

I used to be a Zildjian only guy until I bought a A splash and got a 16" Wuhan China for free. That was 16 years ago and now I'm all mixed up. I try not to limit myself anymore. I still use/gig with that 16" Wuhan to this day , still sounds good.

User Info Menu

I had an all-matching set for a very short time and it was fun, especially visually. However because my playing situations differ so often, it's rare that I ever use an all-matching set.

However, now that I have a 22 Zildjian Kerope and Constantinople, I'd like to get a nice set of Zildjian hats to match for my blues-pop trio!
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skills View Post
    I play all Paiste cymbals.
    Maybe I'll get a China from different company then.
    Yeah.
    All eight drums are Slingerland BDP and all cymbals are black(ish) Meinl.
    Maybe add a black wuhan china just for laughs.
    Planning a white marine pearl kit with all 2002s, for the look.
    Gotta match.

In my day there were Zildjian and Paiste... and crap.
    So you played a set of bin lids until you could afford one of those two brands.
    Nowadays, all cymbals sound good (sure, some sound better than others, but it's more about the sound you want rather than the quality as such). It's a drummer's paradise out there.

Now get off my lawn.

User Info Menu

I am in the mix & match camp. My current setup with my C&C kit is:

Ride:
    Sabian 21" Groove Ride

Crashes:
    18"" Istanbul Mehmet Blackbell
    20" Istanbul Agop Mantra

Hats:
    15" Istanbul Agop Mantra

Accents:
    16" Sabian B8 O-Zone
    14" Zildjian Trashformer

Each gives me a unique thing I am looking for - for the project I am currently working on. Next project could be an entirely mix of cymbals.

User Info Menu

I just purchased my first matching set (PST7 Paistes). It looks great, and the sounds really do blend well together. However....I still love the mirror finish and dark overtones of my cheap Wuhans. I also like the sound from my heavy Sabian AA and Zildjian Z3 rides. I have a feeling I'll still be a mix-n-match cymbal guy.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm looking to change my ride, anyone got a 21" Sweet Ride they want to sell?

I want something to go better with my 18" crash ride, I think this might be it. I guess with mixing cymbals it more about how well they sound together than what brand they are...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spikeithard View Post
    Big time OCD

I made sure I have all Tama hardware and matching Sabian cymbals. I dont want a frankenstein kit.

we all know I'm OCD as can be.
    But I also feel when companies make a line of cymbals they all mesh well together in the family line.
    So if you find one cymbal you really like chances are you'll like most the others in that line. (in my opinion)

But just remember that comes at a cost too as usually you'll like something really nice then they're all going to be really nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I have a feeling I'll still be a mix-n-match cymbal guy.
    The right tool for the right job. That's how I see it.

User Info Menu

I play a mix. Ecleticism. When I see someone playing a mix of brands/models of cymbals, I automatically accord them a sense of individuality and choosiness that they may not necessarily deserve, but which I grant them nonetheless. This, I think, is someone who chooses how to color his sound.

Having said that, one of the cymbals I use is a Sabian AA crash that I won in a raffle. I would neve have bought it but it's okay for certain situations.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!