Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Mixing cymbals

Do you guys find that mixing cymbal brands is ok, or do you gat all ADD about your set-up having 2 Paistes mixed up with a Zildian and 3 Sabians?
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mixing cymbals

I don't think I'll ever be able to afford a whole set of cymbals at one time. So I just acquire my cym. one at a time. I've got 2 Paiste Sig. crashes, 1 K, 1 A, 1 HH, 2 AAX, Rides 1 old A, and AAX omni. Hats 14" new beats and AAX 13" Stage top and Studio bottom. I usually use different combos for the kind of gig I'm playing.

User Info Menu

I am SUPER ADD OCD

I have matching brands for most all my kits.
    My teaching kits are a hair different as I don't worry as much cause little kids beat them silly.

My current PDP kit I even have to have all PDP/DW hardware.

My big Yamaha is a mixture of Yamaha and Gibraltar. When I built it up I couldn't afford all Yamaha parts.. but now I wish I had done so. Maybe someday I'll redo the whole thing.

User Info Menu

Couldn't care less.....

If what you have sounds good, and your happy with them - that's what matters.
    Last edited by EddieV; 01-17-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I have Zildjians and Sabians and a Wuhan I'd just as soon throw away or burn. I would like a Paiste or two but it hasn't happened yet. I choose cymbals for the sound I'm looking for and would never buy one sight unseen.

User Info Menu

Never lost a moments sleep over it.

Got Zildjians, A and K's, Paiste, UFIP, and a couple of Sabians.

Isn't there medication for OCD?

LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have a mix as well. b8, b20, different brands and series. It doesn't bother me, but I DO think there is something sound-wise to all matching cymbals from the same brand and series (all 2002s, all Ks, all HHX, etc.).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Use what ever sounds good........

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I don't care much about mixing brands or B8 and B20 if they work well together but I don't like the mixed logos.

I wish manufacturers would drop the habit of printing logos on cymbals and just stamp or engrave them as it can make them a pain to clean (and most are huge and ugly), but I can't see them passing up on the free advertising.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I have a mix as well. b8, b20, different brands and series. It doesn't bother me, but I DO think there is something sound-wise to all matching cymbals from the same brand and series (all 2002s, all Ks, all HHX, etc.).
    I find sometimes though, some cymbals stand out of a certain line. For example...I totally love my 22" K Con ride, but not particularly impressed with the crashes. There are others within K's that I like the sound of better and for cheaper.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I find sometimes though, some cymbals stand out of a certain line. For example...I totally love my 22" K Con ride, but not particularly impressed with the crashes.
    Yup… I have a Paiste Alpha 10" metal splash that I really dig… Besides the wuhan china, it's the only non-Sabian cymbal I still have. It also sticks out like a sore thumb being a different color which kinda erks me. LOL
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

The quality and diversity of cymbals at the high end is excellent. Essentially you can create your personal sound palette from any number of manufacturers. So the question becomes why not match. I play all Sabian, but I am absolutely sure that I could find all of my sounds from Zildjian, Paiste, Meinl etc. So yeah, make 'em match.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Whatever sounds good!
    Technique doesn't mean **** if you can't blast beat and spin sticks - Steve Gadd

User Info Menu

Cymbals are such a personal thing . I don't mind mixing . Sometimes you're in the shop minding your own business and someone hits a cymbal and it's like the best thing you have ever heard ! Then you have to have it regardless of the brand . I've been there .
    I had a 14" Mastersound hi hat bottom only and I took a cracked 16" Paiste Sound Formula and cut it down to 14" for the top hi hat . The combo is killer and that's what I've been using since I paired them up .
    I don't care . If it sounds good to me that's all that matters ... labels be damned .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

While I play all Meinl now, I've mixed brands up until that point and see no reason not to do that if what you have sounds good. The only reason I don't do it now is I love all the Meinl ones that I have and have no reason to mix them.

User Info Menu

I sold off my Paiste PST 7s. A bit too high pitched for my needs. I went with Sabian SR2 16 crash, 14 hats and 20 ride..then I have a 19" Meinl Classics Custom dark crash and 2 Wuhan splashes. Talk about mis- match! Doesn't phase me much. Really....well okay, it bugs me aesthetics wise, but the sound combination is lovely to my ears. That's what matters.
    Last edited by wOOdshedd; 02-03-2016 at 06:16 AM.
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

Have just bought my only non Zildjian cymbal. Sabian HHX 18" O Zone. Other than that I will stick with one brand.

User Info Menu

Couldn't care less. Play what you think sounds good. I have Zildjian, Paiste and Sabian going at the same time.

User Info Menu

I grew up with Zildjian.
    So my ride and all my crashes are Zildjian.............a mix of As & Ks.
    They can create a cymbal to make any sound I might need.
    However. for effects cymbals (stacks, Chinas, etc.) I go the cheaper route and I use Wuhan and Meinl.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I like having the matched sets on the same kit. However, when it comes down to it my "go to collection especially for gigging" consists of my Paragon 22" ride, 14" hats and 10" splash. For crashes I like my 15", 16" and 18" Zildjian A Customs and last but not least my 6" Zil bell and my 10" LP cowbell round out the collection.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have a friend who has every cymbal from a different brand on his kit...they work surprisingly well together especially considering the particular combination:
    20" Zildjian A Custom Ride
    18" Camber Crash (older one, actually sounds really good, not like the Cambers I'm used to!)
    14" Kasza Fusion Hi-hats
    10" Dream Contact Splash
    10" Istanbul Traditional Mini China

User Info Menu

What are you guys thinking! That’s like beer and ice cream – both are good, but together? Like a Mercedes with a Honda motor, checking work e-mails on the golf course, pizza and … (okay, that’s a bad example, everything goes with pizza). The point is, some things just don’t belong together!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies.

I have 2 older brothers and always had mid-matched everything growing up, and i think I felt as if I needed something to be a set, ya know? At the same time, there are some new that I've liked and didn't want my emotions to preclude me from a certain sound.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Being a Paiste nut I wanted an all Paiste set up, but getting good deals on good sounding cymbals prevented me from an all Paiste set up. I'm glad though, I like each cymbal to stand out in the mix, I prefer it doesn't blend in otherwise what's the point of having so many if they all sound similar (IMO). Different brands have different materials and manufacturing processes, which also adds to the unique flavor of each cymbal in my setup.

User Info Menu

I mix and match.