Thread: Steal of a Deal in Consignment.. Tama Snare

User Info Menu

Default Steal of a Deal in Consignment.. Tama Snare

Customer brought in a TJPercussion drumset... I've NEVER heard of this company. It is SUPER cheap and ugly like a Percussion Plus kit or worse. Anyways he had a super cheap PDP throne with it but also had this Tama Maple 14x8 snare drum. It has the original top and bottom head! It older like around 2005 possibly from my searches? But either way has nice Mighty Hoops an is a simple 5ply Maple.

I got the ENTIRE kit, with this snare for $125 bucks. I'll be using the kit to expirement as this Christmas I got a "Learn how to build custom drums" dvd. But this snare will for sure look good in my collection.

I promised myself no more snares.. but I couldn't refuse this deal.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Steal of a Deal in Consignment.. Tama Snare

People so often don't know what they have.

User Info Menu

Beautiful snare! At least the bass has a powerstroke 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

My friend has an 8 inch snare drum and I like the sound of it.

How are you planning to customize the drum kit?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    How are you planning to customize the drum kit?
    I'm going to use it as a test subject. First I'm going to cut the shells down in height almost in half. I want some shallow depths. Then try my hands at bearing edges.

From there I want to try doing a fade, a wrap and veneer and if I don't like them just pull it off and do it again and again. Then once I found something I love I'd like to order up my own keller shells in the sizes I want and build my own drumset to my specifications and likings.

User Info Menu

Spaz...............
    About '89 or '90, I saw a McCartney tour when Chris Whitten was playing drums for the band.
    Whitten played a Noble and Cooley kit that had shallow rack toms...........I was impressed because they took so little space............this was during the time when power toms were all the rage.
    Of course, through the monster PA they sounded awesome.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Spaz, you remind me of myself when I still worked in a music store. I bought so much stuff. But I'm glad I did, especially small parts and accessories. Now, when I want to make a change in my drum setup, I always have the appropriate clamps, screws, stands, and other gear already on hand. This hobby is so much more fun when you can buy things for cost!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Good looking snare Zack. Good luck on the project!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Spaz, you remind me of myself when I still worked in a music store. I bought so much stuff. But I'm glad I did, especially small parts and accessories. Now, when I want to make a change in my drum setup, I always have the appropriate clamps, screws, stands, and other gear already on hand. This hobby is so much more fun when you can buy things for cost!

GeeDeeEmm
    I literally own so much drum equipment and parts my boss laughed and joked about making me sign a non-compete agreement and starting my own drum shop hahahaha. I own so much lol

I agree though when something goes wrong or I want to make changes it's extremely nice and helpful knowing I have something that can and will fix it.

User Info Menu

Be warned....you'll get hooked on building drums. It's just as addictive as building cars....except not as expensive and you can do it comfortably in your basement.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That was a great deal just for the snare. As for the kit modifications, sounds like a good plan. Be prepared though, since you know you have a problem buying drum gear, the same sickness can be had with tools.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    That was a great deal just for the snare. As for the kit modifications, sounds like a good plan. Be prepared though, since you know you have a problem buying drum gear, the same sickness can be had with tools.
    You've never seen pictures of my garage.... remember I also build high performance Honda engines and have a track car myself. . . I own lots of tools and it's awful addicting. Going back and forth from car season to music season kills me! Luckily I'm taking a break from both and going into Father season!

Anyways here's a killer update. I sold the kit for $100 with no snare! So I basically picked up that snare for $25!!! Can't beat that with a stick!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Luckily I'm taking a break from both and going into Father season!
    Oh yeah ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post
    Oh yeah ?
    Yup! For Christmas the wife blessed me with the news of our first child.

User Info Menu

Yup! For Christmas the wife blessed me with the news of our first child.
    Congratulations ! (My kids are 32, 20 and 13. I'm a three-decade diaper-changer .. I am ready for grandpa-hood, but my oldest daughter seems all career-minded, I dunno.)

Your responsibility to your new family must definitely come first. After that, I think you need to be woodshedding your accordion chops, so that you are ready to lead the famliy polka band someday.
    Last edited by JoePasko; 01-29-2016 at 08:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow congratulations Spaz,excellent news

Mike
    Last edited by myk; 01-29-2016 at 08:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations ! (My kids are 32, 20 and 13. I'm a three-decade diaper-changer .. I am ready for grandpa-hood, but my oldest daughter seems all career-minded, I dunno.)

Your responsibility to your new family must definitely come first. After that, I think you need to be woodshedding your accordion chops, so that you are ready to lead the famliy polka band someday.
    I was always very surprised my Dad never tried to make me learn the accordion. But he knew I was a drummer from day 1 and that would never change. But I also play piano so you'd think I'd be able to figure out a little bit on the accordion. lol

User Info Menu

I was always very surprised my Dad never tried to make me learn the accordion. But he knew I was a drummer from day 1 and that would never change. But I also play piano so you'd think I'd be able to figure out a little bit on the accordion. lol
    Ha ha. A little baby is a lot like an accordion, as you will see. There's always something going on at one end, and something else going on at the other end. And it frequently winds up on your chest ! Enjoy !

User Info Menu

To update the actual thread by the way, I sold the the drumset with no snare for $100 last night! So I literally picked up that Tama snare for only $25!! How awesome!

User Info Menu

Nice work. So as an employee, you are able to personally purchase incoming merchandise at the original buy price, rather than your store's marked up re-sell price ?

User Info Menu

Nice work. So as an employee, you are able to personally purchase incoming merchandise at the original buy price, rather than your store's marked up re-sell price ?
    That was the floor price listed from the consignment! It came into the store while I was in Mexico.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post

GeeDeeEmm
    that's something that bothered me a little when I did one of my bass drums I went over budget a little. The hardware was a killer in cost and I only bought new tension rods and claws, plus a set of hoops forgot about those, but it was fun
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Spare parts is one reason I buy old, cheap sets when I can find them. Basically like the one Spaz bought. I pull all the hardware off and store it, then put the shells on a shelf. I have boxes of tension rods, lugs, a pile of hoops, FT legs, etc.. Granted, it's not high-end stuff, but it works in a pinch or for building projects and other fun stuff.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham