Thread: Martial Arts

User Info Menu

Default Martial Arts

I've been a martial arts fan for years. I've never had the chance to truly study full time. Each time I would start something happened that made me stop.

I studied Muay Thai for a bit then Shotokan Karate. As of late I've really been interested in boxing. Specifically applying it to self defense. There is a good boxing school in my area and I hope to sign up for lessons when I can.

Here is a book that I own that is great.

[Link removed. Please see Forum Rules. - Thx, Tom]

Anyone else here into martial arts and self-defense?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Martial Arts

many many years ago I got into Kickboxing. But it's been forever

I love it and it's always done me well with self defense and being ready for anything.

User Info Menu

Over the years i've done loads, i'm a blackbelt in ITF Taekwondo, i've done Karate, mma, Thai Boxing, Ninjutsu and Boxing, Boxing was the last thing i did but my wrists started to hurt so i stopped as it was hampering my drumming slightly, it's great to know you can handle yourself if someone squares up to you, i think the more you know you'll be ok the harder you try to stay away from any bother though.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I studied Shōrin-ryū on Okinawa which is one of the major modern Okinawan martial arts and is one of the oldest styles of karate (open hand combat).

User Info Menu

At this point Im trying to decide between boxing and Brazilian jiu jistu. I have some health issues, tendonitis in both wrists a bad left knee and a bad back. So Im trying to figure out which will be easiest on my body and which will effect my drumming in a negative way the least.

User Info Menu

Studied Shotokan back in the day.

Had a Japanese instructor give us advice after one of the guys mentioned lots of beer after class.

You go bar ,drink beer ,say you know karate.
    Other person in bar go to trunk of car and know Sears and Roebuck crowbar better.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    i think the more you know you'll be ok the harder you try to stay away from any bother though.
    I can assure you, the opposite is true as well. I know I'll get my clock cleaned, so I try real hard to avoid trouble. It would have to be a true life-or-death situation for me not to walk away.

I know a guy (nice guy) that got in a bar fight a couple years ago. Some out of town guy was messing with his buddy, so he stepped in to diffuse the situation. He ended up losing his temper and hit the guy once. The guy fell and hit his head......dead. Now, there's a widow and 3 kids without a dad. I just couldn't live with myself if that were to happen...when all I needed was to place the value of human life over my ego and walk away. I suppose it could be argued that if my friend knew self-defense, he would not have taken a swing and been able to control the situation better. Unfortunately, I also know some guys that DO know self-defense and think it's fun to pick fights. Those are the guys that will end up meeting "mr. Crowbar" sometime.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 01-20-2016 at 01:21 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightmadness View Post
    At this point Im trying to decide between boxing and Brazilian jiu jistu. I have some health issues, tendonitis in both wrists a bad left knee and a bad back. So Im trying to figure out which will be easiest on my body and which will effect my drumming in a negative way the least.
    Try Okinawan karate. Anthony Bourdain visited Okinawa and posted a series of stories surrounding his visit. Here's a small clip:

User Info Menu

"Do not think of winning, think rather of not losing"

I got into this when the name karate was thought to be the next Godzilla movie.

Tang Soo Do.........very effective. Norris started with this. It's 1 of the few things 1 studies hoping to never have to use it.

User Info Menu

Back when I was 15 (1975) I , as well as every teenager at that time , was inspired by Bruce Lee . But I did take Kempo lessons from the local dojo . I studied through my 18th birthday then hit the road with a band . It was fun impressing the old guys in the band during our down times with roundhouse kicks and such . Then at the gigs they would tell people "watch out for Rudy...he knows that Bruce Lee stuff!" . LOL It was all good fun but it soon fell by the wayside as I had to get more serious about my drumming . I have tho to this day maintained the stretching and breathing routine I learned way back then . It has helped me tremendously during stressful situations .
    I may not be able to kick like I use to but I can keep my head when things get ruff .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I took a semester of Kendo in college. I still can't believe that I got a credit for hitting people in the head with a stick two days a week.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I took a semester of Kendo in college. I still can't believe that I got a credit for hitting people in the head with a stick two days a week.
    Now you get to hit any head with two sticks any day of the week.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

There's one thing that will turn you into an instant martial arts expert...

Walking into a spider web face first!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

An old Korean master taught me what to do if someone approaches you, pulls a gun on you and demands your wallet. He said, "Give him your wallet. He shoot you for that." Martial arts is not about fighting, it's about surviving.

User Info Menu

I was also into TKD and the martial arts many years ago.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Over the years i've done loads, i'm a blackbelt in ITF Taekwondo, i've done Karate, mma, Thai Boxing, Ninjutsu and Boxing, Boxing was the last thing i did but my wrists started to hurt so i stopped as it was hampering my drumming slightly, it's great to know you can handle yourself if someone squares up to you, i think the more you know you'll be ok the harder you try to stay away from any bother though.
    After all that i'm getting back into boxing, i've been back a couple of times, i'm just gonna do it for fitness rather than competition this time, so i won't be putting as much strain on my wrists.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums