Thread: DW Hi-Hat Questions

User Info Menu

Default DW Hi-Hat Questions

Now that I have my second bass drum I have two main questions for anyone running a DW kit and hardware... or any other opinions are welcomed but for those who know me know I'm a little OCD and will be sticking with DW hardware the best I can.

1) Does DW make a legless hi-hat stand?
    I did some searching on line and can't find one.
    But I have seen kits with no legs on their 9k series hi-hats.
    So did they just cut the legs off or take them apart?
    I have my Yamaha hi-hat and I drilled out the rivets and removed the legs myself.

2) Is anyone running this hi-hat stabilizing clamp?
    Looks like it should be strong enough to run with no legs and I love that it replaces a bass drum rod instead of clamping to the hoop itself.
    I have a Mapex hi-hat attachment and it clamps to the hoop but I like this a lot better

Last edited by SpazApproved; 01-20-2016 at 12:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Hi-Hat Questions

I have a DW 9000 cable operated hi hat stand. It is a 2 leg stand but the legs can be removed by sliding them up off the post, no need to cut anything. It looks like that's what was done on the middle pedal in your picture.

User Info Menu

1) Does DW make a legless hi-hat stand? I did some searching on line and can't find one. But I have seen kits with no legs on their 9k series hi-hats.
    So did they just cut the legs off or take them apart?

No, DW doesn't make a legless hihat stand and you are correct about the those who've had the legs removed from the DW9000 hihat stand as you did with your Yamaha. Mapex makes one with removable legs but your OCD won't let you mix and match.

No. I use existing hardware and dogbone a folded hihat stand and tuck it next to the second kick. I've tried the Pearl hoop attachment but the clamping force had to be on so tight that it sucked any tone out of the batter hoop side of the kick.

Last edited by late8; 01-26-2016 at 02:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    I have a DW 9000 cable operated hi hat stand. It is a 2 leg stand but the legs can be removed by sliding them up off the post, no need to cut anything. It looks like that's what was done on the middle pedal in your picture.

I've been looking into the cable hi hat so I can have another set on the right side of my kit. I love that feature on my big Yamaha kit. Boy I hope this kit doesn't turn out to explode in size like that kit hahaha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post

Looks like it should be strong enough to run with no legs and I love that it replaces a bass drum spur instead of clamping to the hoop itself.
    I have a Mapex hi-hat attachment and it clamps to the hoop but I like this a lot better

This is the first time I've seen the DW hi hat stabilizing clamp, but it seems to replace a t-rod on one of the BD lugs rather than a "spur," doesn't it? Knowing DW, I'd be quite comfortable that it will work great.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    This is the first time I've seen the DW hi hat stabilizing clamp, but it seems to replace a t-rod on one of the BD lugs rather than a "spur," doesn't it? Knowing DW, I'd be quite comfortable that it will work great.

GeeDeeEmm
    sorry I meant tension rod not spur.

I'm going to order one. It's only around $26 bucks so no harm in a part of that expense.

User Info Menu

Boy I hope this kit doesn't turn out to explode in size like that kit hahaha
    My left foot is way too stupid to play that many pedals.

User Info Menu

Boy I hope this kit doesn't turn out to explode in size like that kit hahaha
    I think the toothpaste might already be out of the tube on that one.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I think the toothpaste might already be out of the tube on that one.
    hahaha nice I'll have to remember that one.

User Info Menu

So I ordered that clamp and I just got off the phone with DW.

DW told me that I can ordered another DW9500 hi hat stand straight from them and in the comments for the email I just need to tell them to leave the legs off. Then they will send me the stand and the legs separately. I just might do this instead of drilling out the rivets. Give me a nice clean stand like the one shown above.

User Info Menu

I drilled the rivets out of a new Tama 605 hat stand (love that Tama clutch) and used the Gibralter monster clamp (below) to attach to a nearby cymbal stand.
    As you can see in the lower photo, it makes for a clean set-up.

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)