Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Congrats kay-gee

By the way, you did get 1 thing right.
    HAHAHA......................good one.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: I'm just weird I guess

Congrats on hitting 5K. I'd hardly call your thoughts on drums and drumming weird.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I feel like that entire post was towards me hahahaha

But you said 50 snares and I know that's not me! I'm only on 27....

I won't try to explain why as I know it won't matter as we have opposite opinions.
    That's fine with me and I accept that. We're human we're all different and we all like different things.
    However you like your drums that's all that matter!
    No one can tell you how to be you but you!

Congrats on 5k
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 01-22-2016 at 08:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the 5000. I've been on since 2011 and still haven't hit 700 yet :-)

I don't think those are weird views at all. I do think they are views of a mature person, much wiser than when a young man. I have views quite similar to yours.

I do love your quick witty comments. you can say more in 5-10 words than some can say in 50-100. hehehe

Take care
    Jim
    Last edited by jgraham798; 01-22-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

That was a great 5k post kay-gee. Congrats!....shades of George Carlin in your observations which I enjoyed while day dreaming I was somewhere on a Bahamian beach, catching your bit with a coconut in my hand.

User Info Menu

enjoyed it. I have 3 snares a birch, steel and brass. I guess I could get a maple. I like my bass drum to sound big and the thing with me and cymbals is that there are so many I like and want to try and use that sometimes I'll buy on impulse. Right now i just want some new heads.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Congrats an I agree with most of what you said, old guys got to stick together. .

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Congrats on the 5K Kay-gee!

I have an extreme case of G.A.S. ...........so I think there will always be multiple cymbals / snares in my collection

Glad to have you here brother...........and also glad that we all don't "think alike"

I still envy you, living in the Bahamas...............I've never been there .............one day, one day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I agree with you Kay-Gee.
    You do? LOL Hope someday we can have a beer together in Ft Lauderdale.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Congrats Kay-Gee. I appreciate how grounded you are.
    Sometimes we can get a bit crazy about things. Drummers can obsess over wood types and plies and specialty skins. We agonize over tuning and then having the next trendy thing and you can come into a thread and bring us back to earth with one sentence.

Keep doing what you do and I wish YOU

all the best...
    Thanks Cycle.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Congrats Kay-gee, Good observations and I agree mostly except I think everyone should have at least 3 snares, metal, wood, and a popcorn type. Surprisingly I am really digging my new cheap mapex mpx. Hopefully I never get to the point where I need to have a $900 snare drum....: )
    Thanks MDK. Truth be told I have 3 snares, but I probably really don'r need the piccolo.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    HAHAHA......................good one.
    He's talking about cymbals right? LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Congrats on hitting 5K. I'd hardly call your thoughts on drums and drumming weird.
    well just out of touch or out of date I think

all the best...

User Info Menu

Congrats on reaching 5K Kay-gee. Great post.

I can't really put up any convincing argument against your opinions. I certainly will never mount all my cymbals or more than 1 snare on a set (I don't have the hardware, or the skills to incorporate them, but they are just nice to have and to change for a different sound occasionally. I have to agree with a certain person on here that chinas sound awful (I own 4) especially when you are sitting right next to the thing..... but they sound good from a distance and on recordings! But I'm English and don't know what baseball is - so its fine to collect cymbals and snares instead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I feel like that entire post was towards me hahahaha

But you said 50 snares and I know that's not me! I'm only on 27....

I won't try to explain why as I know it won't matter as we have opposite opinions.
    That's fine with me and I accept that. We're human we're all different and we all like different things.
    However you like your drums that's all that matter!
    No one can tell you how to be you but you!

Congrats on 5k
    It was when I joined the forum that I realized how much drumming had changed. In the world I came from, I think every drummer had one snare and usually it was the one that came with the set. I thought monster sets were just for guys like Carl Palmer and Keith Moon etc...

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    Congrats on the 5000. I've been on since 2011 and still haven't hit 700 yet :-)

I don't think those are weird views at all. I do think they are views of a mature person, much wiser than when a young man. I have views quite similar to yours.

I do love your quick witty comments. you can say more in 5-10 words than some can say in 50-100. hehehe

Take care
    Jim
    Thanks Jim. More like the views of an out of the loop guy! LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    That was a great 5k post kay-gee. Congrats!....shades of George Carlin in your observations which I enjoyed while day dreaming I was somewhere on a Bahamian beach, catching your bit with a coconut in my hand.
    Thanks Late. Means a lot. The Bahamas aren't that far. Only South of Florida. Come down sometime. The beaches are magnificent.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I have to amend my 1st post. Kay-gee got 2 things right.

Living in bikini land is 1.

User Info Menu

Congrats on 5000! Somehow you do bring me back to reality...well, sometimes!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Congrats an I agree with most of what you said, old guys got to stick together. .

Jim
    Yep. Old timers of the world unite!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Congrats on reaching 5K Kay-gee. Great post.

I can't really put up any convincing argument against your opinions. I certainly will never mount all my cymbals or more than 1 snare on a set (I don't have the hardware, or the skills to incorporate them, but they are just nice to have and to change for a different sound occasionally. I have to agree with a certain person on here that chinas sound awful (I own 4) especially when you are sitting right next to the thing..... but they sound good from a distance and on recordings! But I'm English and don't know what baseball is - so its fine to collect cymbals and snares instead.
    I have quite a pile of cymbals as well. I do switch around fairly often just to keep things fresh. I wouldn't and couldn't mount them all at the same time. I also have a trash can lid here that sounds pretty cool! LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Congrats on the 5K Kay-gee!

I have an extreme case of G.A.S. ...........so I think there will always be multiple cymbals / snares in my collection

Glad to have you here brother...........and also glad that we all don't "think alike"

I still envy you, living in the Bahamas...............I've never been there .............one day, one day
    Let me tell you. Living in the Bahamas and and having drum G.A.S. are mutually exclusive. You want a cure for it? Come live here for bout a year.
    Sometimes I envy you guys who can have anything you want come to your door with just keystrokes, or a short car drive to a music shop. Having said that though, It really is beautiful here. If ever you just want go somewhere and go aww!, and let your stress melt away, this is it. People are very friendly here, low crime, and nobody is in much of a hurry doing things. And of course, the drinking, but that's for another post LOL

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 01-22-2016 at 07:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Congrats on 5000! Somehow you do bring me back to reality...well, sometimes!
    LOL Thanks Sling. Glad to have you here.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Kay-gee,

Really enjoyed your post - we seem to have a lot in common - at least on most things. Like you, I prefer a small kit (4 piece is ideal for me) and double pedals for the bass just aren't for me. I always found I lost the groove when I tried to fit in two bass drums.

But, cymbals and snares...here we part ways a bit. I really like recording drum tracks for my band and in that scenario I find it is cool to have variety - especially in cymbals. For example, there are some songs where an 8th note build up sounds great on a couple of 'specialty' cymbals. (e.g. Sabian Ozone and Zildjian ZXT Trashformer), where these types of cymbals have a very rapid decay. If I were to do the same pattern on regular crashes, the sound sometimes becomes too overpowering and less defined.

Same for snares - I find there is a distinct difference between the brass, copper , aluminum and wood snares I have. One may be perfect for one song but is not as good for another. Again, all IMHO. Admittedly, with snares, the dreaded GAS seems to be a factor. I just ordered a piccolo snare. and, honestly, it is questionable how much I really need a piccolo snare. But, damn, it looks cool!.

All the best to you Kay-gee and congrats on the 5K posts!

User Info Menu

Wow Late. I just read this and I gotta tell ya....dude, you are soooo weird.
    Last edited by SunDog; 01-23-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass