Thread: Jazz solos help

User Info Menu

Default Jazz solos help

Hello guys,

Does somebody know if it's possible to find a nice little android app or Windows program or even mp3 tracks to work on trading four?

I just need something to give me 4 measures of swing on the ride then 4 measures of silence to work on my solos. I also need to be able to choose the tempo.

Any ideas?
    Gretsch Renown mapple (fusion) + Ludwig black galaxy Acrolite snare
    Tama Silverstar (rock)
    Jobeky custom electronic kit with 2Box module
    Cymbals : Paiste Signature Dark Energy HH, Sabian AAX ride and splash, Zildjian K and A crashes, HH, splashes and rides

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jazz solos help

A MIDI editor might work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    A MIDI editor might work.
    What is that?
    Tama Silverstar (rock)
    Cymbals : Paiste Signature Dark Energy HH, Sabian AAX ride and splash, Zildjian K and A crashes, HH, splashes and rides

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The Tempo app allows you to set different tempos to "swing" but not alternate with measures of "silence."
    Or you could record your own tempo with silent measures as mp3s but not with the app. Then loop it.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    The Tempo app allows you to set different tempos to "swing" but not alternate with measures of "silence."
    Or you could record your own tempo with silent measures as mp3s but not with the app. Then loop it.
    I'm probably going to do that. It's weird... I really thought somebody would have created an app to do that.
    Tama Silverstar (rock)

User Info Menu

I bet if you have an Apple (or an Apple using friend) you could use Garage Band to create such a thing.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Neat idea. Huge fan of the four bar break. If I could I would just record 4 bars of a walking bass line which can be swung to with a click and the click remains through the 4 bar silence parts.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'm actually trying to make this app with my brother now (he's an engineer and know how to develop Java applications). I'll keep you guys informed if we get good results.
    Tama Silverstar (rock)

User Info Menu

Why use an ap. Play 4 measures of time, do a 4 measure fill and get back into time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    Why use an ap. Play 4 measures of time, do a 4 measure fill and get back into time.
    LOL That's what I do. Each time I try to do something different, something busy perhaps and then something more sparse.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    That's what I do too. Of course! But it's hard for me to keep my concentration and not loose the count if I work on this for a long time, if I try very complex stuff or up-tempo.
    Tama Silverstar (rock)

User Info Menu

You need to feel the measures as your are playing through. Play 4 on the floor with the bass drum and a solid 2&4 on the hi hat when playing the fill. 1234, 2234, 3234, 4234 and then get back into time. After a while you will feel the first beat of each fill measure and eventually you can drop the four on the floor or add a more creative bass drum pattern if you want or no bass drum.