Thread: First post

User Info Menu

Default First post

Hello to the drum world. So a little bit about my self. My name is Todd, I started playing drums at the age of 5 and played to the age of 17. For some reason I lost interest in playing and hung them up. After a 25 year break, I got the itch to start playing again, so for Christmas my wonderful wife allowed me to rekindle the love I once had of playing the drums. So here I am. I must say its some what like ridding a bike, I haven't forgotten how to play, but boy do I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Ended up getting a PDP concept birch 6 piece with a dw3000 double pedal and all dw 3000 hardware. Kinda scrimped on the cymbals and got the Zildjan ZBT's, but already not to happy with them. The only one out of the group I like is the 16" crash. I see an upgrade in the near future. I just keep laughing and tell my wife see woke up a sleeping giant.

User Info Menu

Default Re: First post

Welcome to the forum! It's nice that you got back into it after all that time. The PDP concepts are beautiful drums. What finish do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Decided on the Mahogany finish.

User Info Menu

How exciting Todd. Welcome to our drum family. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile!

User Info Menu

Hey well welcome back to the pots and pans, and welcome to DC. This is a really great site. Jump in and don't be bashful.

Tex

User Info Menu

So, you went full bore on the hardware and scrimped on the cymbals?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Hi Todd. Welcome to the forum. What do you think triggered your re-interest in drumming?

User Info Menu

welcome Todd and thank you for sharing the background info!

Welcome to our drum forum!
    Also welcome to the PDP club. I play a PDP X7 in Sparkle Orange.

If you get a chance take some photos and post them on up I'd love to see the kit!

User Info Menu

Welcome. Enjoy. Good site....gets a bit boring sometimes, but that happens everywhere.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tkhollywood View Post
    I must say its some what like ridding a bike, I haven't forgotten how to play, but boy do I have a lot of work ahead of me.
    I just keep laughing and tell my wife see woke up a sleeping giant.
    She did, indeed -- welcome back to the drum world.
    And welcome to the DC board.
    This is a good place to be.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Welcome back Todd. Looks like you made a few right choices in your life; the wife and going back to drumming. Sounds like you fell a little short on the cymbal side of the equation but that's ok. Go down to your nearest music store and start snooping around the cymbal vault. If you ask for opinions about cymbals, you'll get enough responses that it will remind you of the age old argument like "Ford over Chevy?" or "Blondes or Brunettes?". Let your ears do the work and go find a few decent cymbals to appease your ears.

User Info Menu

Welcome. I took a 10 year break once during my 20's (my prime drumming years!). I came upon a kit at the school I worked for and sat down one day and was surprised I was still pretty decent. The next day I went out and bought a new kit and haven't stopped since.
    It's funny, my wife didn't even really know I played drums (I talked about it, but she had never seen me play) until into the marriage

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    So, you went full bore on the hardware and scrimped on the cymbals?

all the best...
    I'm not sure if I'd call 3000 series hardware going full bore. Don't get me wrong, it's good hardware but it's pretty light weight and won't hold up to the same abuse for as long as 5000 or 9000 series hardware would. Then again, that will probably only be an issue if you're hard on your gear and/or play out a ton.

When it comes time to upgrade those cymbals, you can save a lot of money by buying used. I'm not currently playing a single cymbal that I bought new. The hats, ride, and two crashes cost me a grand total of $290, probably less than a similarly sized starter pack of zbts.

Welcome!
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat! I am glad you are here.

User Info Menu

"it will remind you of the age old argument like "Ford over Chevy?" or "Blondes or Brunettes?".

C'mon Rich, we all know it's Mustangs and blondes.

Welcome to the forum Todd. I'm the resident pain in the a$$.

User Info Menu

Welcome Todd, iy's like a big family here.

User Info Menu

Very excited for you, brother. Nothing feeds the soul like drumming. Welcome back.
    As for cymbals, C'slist and local pawn shops are your friend. But never buy a cymbal you haven't heard in person.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Hi Todd. Welcome to the forum. What do you think triggered your re-interest in drumming?
    As our kids got older my wife and I started going out to concerts and bars that had bands playing. Always found myself watching the drummers. Also one of my daughters friends dad play's the drums, so he kinda was persuading me to get back into it.

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard!