Thread: Thinking about adding legs to toms

User Info Menu

Default Thinking about adding legs to toms

Anybody add legs to their toms, I have a 14"×12" & 16"×14" toms thinking about adding legs. Anyone do this and how did it turn out.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thinking about adding legs to toms

I added legs to a 14" tom and it was really easy, just lots of measuring, drilling and bolting on 3 tom leg brackets. Be sure to drill bolt holes carefully so your legs mount vertically and be sure the brackets don't allow the legs to extend against upper lugs.

Good luck!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Good advice, did you divide the circumference by 3 so they are evenly spaced.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Personally I'd like to suggest a solution like this, as it doesn't permanently modify anything and carries no risk. This will be nice should you sell the kit down the line for any reason. All it involves is taking off the bottom head and attaching the leg hardware to the bracket. No drilling and no risk of damage.

A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Thanks Mr.B that looks like a,good option.

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I went with the Ludwig Atlas Mounts on the 13" power tom that came with the Ludwig kit I got used . No drilling , they just replace one of the lugs . The cool thing is that if I want to use it as a mounted tom again all I do is flip it over and just put it on the tom stand cause you can use that same leg bracket on the tom mount . Plus it adds suspension , your tom will resonate fully .
    It works for me . That's how I did mine .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I added legs to a 13x10 tom for use with my Jungle kit. Just measure carefully and be double certain where you want them. I used the gasket as a template. Unless it's a cheap Taiwan kit like mine, I agree with using the RIMS mount with brackets. Better resonance and no permanent alterations to effect value.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Personally I'd like to suggest a solution like this, as it doesn't permanently modify anything and carries no risk. This will be nice should you sell the kit down the line for any reason. All it involves is taking off the bottom head and attaching the leg hardware to the bracket. No drilling and no risk of damage.

I have a similar system, and I highly suggest it as it is easy to put on and remove in case you want to use the other mount. I'd rather have both options than be stuck with one.

User Info Menu

I added legs to my 16x14 DW tom. I went to the music store and measured where DW drills them at the factory. No regrets here. Drum sounds just as good with the legs, bounce/movement was greatly reduced and easier to set up. Take your time, measure twice and use a sharp drill bit.

User Info Menu

Thanks to all, will head to the music store and take some measurements and purchase the brackets .......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases