Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diameter x depth or the other way around ?

User Info Menu

Default diameter x depth or the other way around ?

12"x 10", for example. What's it mean ?

To me, it seem most logical to indicate diameter first, as that is what defines the drum, with depth being the secondary detail. But it appears that manufacturers prefer depth x diameter. Perusing individual toms for sale on Ebay this morning, I've come to realize that there is no standard. Unless seller specifically indicates which is which, I just have to look at the picture and gauge for myself.

I am a mathematician by education and a programmer by profession, so it bugs me. A lack of standard, such as this, could cause huge problems in other areas ... but apparently it's no big deal in the drumming world, huh ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: diameter x depth or the other way around ?

Diameter should be first if real world logic is applied---a 14 x 22 is a REALLY deep snare to me, but a 22 x 14 is a bass drum! I have asked this question before, and never gotten a good answer.

User Info Menu

I've always known it as Drum Diameter first then Drum Depth.

I always think of the snare drum.. I don't have a 5"' wide snare 14" deep.
    I have a 14" snare that is 5" deep. 14x5

User Info Menu

There's no standard convention. The assumption is a given. Larger number is the diameter and the smaller number is the depth when describing drums shells.
    18x22
    22x18

I know we're talking about a bass drum here since it's a standard size in the industry.
    Last edited by late8; 01-29-2016 at 11:37 AM.

User Info Menu

The drum makers all use Depth X Diameter. I suppose this sets the standard. Although, it does seem backward to me and while I can write it that way, I just can't bring myself to say, "My snare is a 6.5 x 14".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    The drum makers all use Depth X Diameter. I suppose this sets the standard. Although, it does seem backward to me and while I can write it that way, I just can't bring myself to say, "My snare is a 6.5 x 14".
    Some manufactures do use depth x diameter, but others use diameter x depth. At the end of the day, it's pretty safe to assume that the larger number is the diameter.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Not true. As I mentioned in my post, there is no standard. The UK drum builders use diameter x depth to describe their shell sizes.

uk_x by Richard

Some U.S drum builders use depth x diameter:

dw by Richard

Some Japanese drum builders list diameter x depth:

yamaha by Richard
    Last edited by late8; 01-29-2016 at 11:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Not true. As I mentioned in my post, there is no standard. The UK drum builders use diameter x depth to describe their shell sizes.
    On manufacturer sites, when they list the drum sizes in a table, they list by diameter, but on the same site, when they describe an individual drum, they go with depth x dia. Like on the Tama site. Ludwig does the same thing. Gotta compare apples-to-apples. Gretsch is depth x dia all the way on the site. No one is required, and not everyone will use a "standard" although it appears the major manufacturers do. There are always exceptions. The UK drum company is not the best example because they even drive on the wrong side of the street. Everything is backward there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JoePasko View Post

I am a mathematician by education and a programmer by profession, so it bugs me. A lack of standard, such as this, could cause huge problems in other areas ... but apparently it's no big deal in the drumming world, huh ?
    No, Joe drumming ain't rocket science but this might tease your mathematician brain. How would your write out dimensions of a box?

H x W x L

or

H x L x W ?

User Info Menu

On manufacturer sites, when they list the drum sizes in a table, they list by diameter, but on the same site, when they describe an individual drum, they go with depth x dia. Like on the Tama site. Ludwig does the same thing. Gotta compare apples-to-apples. Gretsch is depth x dia all the way on the site. No one is required, and not everyone will use a "standard" although it appears the major manufacturers do. There are always exceptions. The UK drum company is not the best example because they even drive on the wrong side of the street. Everything is backward there!
    Well you said it best...

"No one is required, and not everyone will use a "standard"...

User Info Menu

No, Joe drumming ain't rocket science but this might tease your mathematician brain. How would your write out dimensions of a box?

H x W x L

or

H x L x W ?
    I'd use Cartesian plotting, I suppose.
    x-axis, y-axis, z-axis

I don't think that's how the post office does, though
    Last edited by JoePasko; 01-29-2016 at 12:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I always thought it was depth x diameter.

I'm looking at drum bags online and they go diameter x depth. Very important to know when ordering.

all the best..

User Info Menu

H x W x L

or

H x L x W ?

User Info Menu

It drives me insane, too. I use diameter first since that's arguably the more important measurement. You order a 14" head for a snare, need a 14" bag or case... the depth is secondary in my mind.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

FYI- If you're ordering Pearl Optimounts, it's NOT the diameter of the drum that determines which mount to purchase; it's the distance between the top and bottom lug:

opti by Richard

User Info Menu

Diameter first of course. Pay no attention to those lug-heads (sorry, just had to lol) who write the specs.

User Info Menu

H x W x L

or

H x L x W ?
    I'd use Cartesian plotting, I suppose.
    x-axis, y-axis, z-axis

I don't think that's how the post office does, though

I would use Victoria's Secret plotting. 36x24x36 http://old.daps.tv/wp-content/upload.../7-of-9-02.jpg Yeah, that looks about right.

As for the box. LxWxH If the length and width aren't what you want, then the height ceases to be a factor.

User Info Menu

Back in the day it was depth x diamter.

For a while now I've noticed majority of the time it's the other way around anymore.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I guess my logic is...I'm going to buy new drum heads for my mounted tom. I could have 3 12" mounted toms that all have d...oh wait I have 5...anyway that all have different depths but at the end of the day I still need 5 12" drum heads.

I don't need to know depth to purchase drum heads. Especially when my Yammy is a different depth than my TAMA Silverstar or Superstar or Starclassic or Pearl Masters for that matter. Come to think of it my resurrection kit has a 12"X11" shell so I have all the way from 7" on the Yammy all the way up to 11" on the resurrection for depth of shell. I still need 5 12" drum heads.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

usually the smaller number is the depth but it does get confusing, what i don't understand is square sized toms
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    usually the smaller number is the depth but it does get confusing, what i don't understand is square sized toms

Me too, slink, it's hard to figure the diameter of a square.

User Info Menu

What about North drums? You'd need an equation to properly describe them.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 01-30-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

When you buy blank shells you always look up diameter first then depth. Example, I need a 24" shell cut to 16" depth, but as soon as it's turned into a drum it usually gets marketed in reverse ie. 16x24.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    What about North drums? You'd need an equation to properly describe them.
    You'd have to calculate it's Euler characteristic.

User Info Menu

You'd have to calculate it's Euler characteristic.
    I'll take your word on that. It's been 25years since I sat through Calculus, Differential Equations and engineering classes. I'm lucky to remember basic Algebra.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham