Thread: Asking advice from experienced Sabian and Meinl users!

User Info Menu

Default Asking advice from experienced Sabian and Meinl users!

Folks I need some help here. I have been looking at, playing (limited availability), listening to samples, reading threads, all of the necessary things anyone would do before buying cymbals and...I'm stuck! I am currently undergoing a change in my drumming life. Wanting to branch out in terms of new drum and cymbal experiences. I have the drums, now comes the hard part
    To start, I play mostly rock and pop type stuff. I have posted my love for Sabian cymbals in the brief time I've been here. Been very happy with my old cymbals. I just can't seem to shake this attraction I have to Meinl cymbals. I understand that it's ok to mix and match, but I like what I've seen and heard from Meinl and a new setup is where I'm leaning. What I'm having trouble with is stepping out from my comfort zone with what limited knowledge and play time I have with Meinl. Sabian's are everywhere around here, Meinl not so much. I realize this comparison has been done before, but I wanna put a personal spin on it. I'm asking for folks that have working knowledge of both companies to weigh in. I need help in the form of "if you like this from Sabian, try this" so I can start my search. Honestly, the overwhelming choices are getting to me. For reference, here's my current setup:
    Sabian
    14" Regular hats
    16" AA Med thin crash
    10" AAX splash
    18" AAX dark crash
    21" AA dry ride
    15" AAXplosion crash
    18" HH extra thin china

Anyone willing to cross reference what I have with what you Meinl guys and gals know? I like bright, quick cymbals as well as dark ones for contrast. I like stick definition in my rides, nothing too washy, with a nice clear bell. I am not a heavy hitter even though I play rock, but I do change my velocity when the situation calls for it. My hats need not be something super dark, but stick definition, nice wash, and chick are important. My AA regs are great all around hats. I am rarely mic'ed up. I prefer nylon to wood tip sticks. There ya have it. Fire away with the suggestions and thanks in advance! This is the best drum forum by far!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Asking advice from experienced Sabian and Meinl users!

I don't have any real world experience with Meinl but I have branched out from "the big 3" and found a nice family called Istanbul. The Xist series seems to be exactly what you are searching for. Have you given them a look?

Not trying to redirect you at all but just thought you might want as much new information as you can acquire.

As for the characteristics you are looking for in a ride, I found what you want in my Sabian Paragon 22" ride. All I can say is go find one to try out. I like their 14" hats, too. For crashes (I like what you prefer) and I found that in Zildjian A Customs.

So that basically makes up my gig cymbal set up. Sabian Paragon hats and ride, Zildjian A custom and Istanbul Xist crashes.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Check out some Legacy, Vault, Artisan before you jump ship. It'll cost you, but it's worth it. I've changed every cymbal in my arsenal over the course of the last two years. I thought my HHX Stage crash was the best I'd ever heard....until I got an HHX Manhattan crash, and then again with my newest 19" Artisan. It is The best sounding and most beautiful cymbal (most expensive too!) that I have ever played.....to date.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I don't have any real world experience with Meinl but I have branched out from "the big 3" and found a nice family called Istanbul. The Xist series seems to be exactly what you are searching for. Have you given them a look?

Not trying to redirect you at all but just thought you might want as much new information as you can acquire.

As for the characteristics you are looking for in a ride, I found what you want in my Sabian Paragon 22" ride. All I can say is go find one to try out. I like their 14" hats, too. For crashes (I like what you prefer) and I found that in Zildjian A Customs.

So that basically makes up my gig cymbal set up. Sabian Paragon hats and ride, Zildjian A custom and Istanbul Xist crashes.
    Bish, this is the kind of info I wanted when I asked the question! Thanks for the suggestion as I hadn't really looked at Istanbul. I will now. On the paragon, I have played one and it was just a tad too heavy handed if that makes sense. I like the ping, but the lower pitched nature of the dry ride appeals to me. Thanks for the response!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Check out some Legacy, Vault, Artisan before you jump ship. It'll cost you, but it's worth it. I've changed every cymbal in my arsenal over the course of the last two years. I thought my HHX Stage crash was the best I'd ever heard....until I got an HHX Manhattan crash, and then again with my newest 19" Artisan. It is The best sounding and most beautiful cymbal (most expensive too!) that I have ever played.....to date.
    Sundog, I am intrigued by the legacy series, but haven't looked too far into the others. To give you an idea of where I am, I was ready to pull the trigger on a whole set of evolutions. I played those and liked them, especially the 18" O zone, which made me think "keep looking outside the box". I will give the ones you've listed a listen! Thanks for your help!

User Info Menu

I play all Meinl, however I prefer their darker lines (Byzance Dark, Extra Dry, Vintage). I would say the Byzance Brilliant series is closest to the AA / AAX stuff. They are brighter, but not piercing...just with more high end. They're very thin and responsive.
    Meinl has a lot of lower-pitched dry rides...I use the 20" Byzance Dark Raw Bell Ride. It was picked out of 5 or so of the exact cymbal (each one is hand-hammered so the sound can be very different from one to another).
    They also make an o-zone style cymbal, Vintage Trash Crash in 16" 18" and 20".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    I play all Meinl, however I prefer their darker lines (Byzance Dark, Extra Dry, Vintage). I would say the Byzance Brilliant series is closest to the AA / AAX stuff. They are brighter, but not piercing...just with more high end. They're very thin and responsive.
    Meinl has a lot of lower-pitched dry rides...I use the 20" Byzance Dark Raw Bell Ride. It was picked out of 5 or so of the exact cymbal (each one is hand-hammered so the sound can be very different from one to another).
    They also make an o-zone style cymbal, Vintage Trash Crash in 16" 18" and 20".
    Thanks pcs90, I appreciate your input! I just heard some samples and I like the dark raw bell ride a lot. Thanks to Bish, I am now finding myself REALLY interested in the Istanbul cymbals. The Xist line, from the samples and reviews I've heard, are an absolutely incredible value. I want to play some of these so badly I thought about just ordering them and saying to heck with it

User Info Menu

The Xists are an excellent value...not a fan of the hi-hats personally but the crashes and rides are awesome!
    Most stores don't carry Istanbuls at all. There is one site online that lets you buy the specific cymbal being played so you are buying exactly what you hear. I can't post links since they aren't allowed but it shouldn't be hard to find! They have hundreds of Meinls as well.

BackStreetDrums Guest

When you speak of Istanbul, remember, there are two different companies. Agop and Mehmet. Everyone seems to use 'Istanbul' in a generic term. There is a difference between the two. And yes, while similar series may cross, they are different in most aspects...The Xist series is Agop.

I have used both Mehmet and Agops over time, and personally prefer Agops, tho, Mehmet's Nostalgia series are sweet, having owned a 20" and 22" 50's

I currently have 15" Xist hats, and find them very suitable to my needs (paid $75 for them on ebay).

I sold my Agops and Mehmets and now use Keropes and K-Conns>
    The Xist hats will stay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcs90 View Post
    The Xists are an excellent value...not a fan of the hi-hats personally but the crashes and rides are awesome!
    Most stores don't carry Istanbuls at all. There is one site online that lets you buy the specific cymbal being played so you are buying exactly what you hear. I can't post links since they aren't allowed but it shouldn't be hard to find! They have hundreds of Meinls as well.
    Hahahaha, yes pcs I know the site well and I am now leaning slightly toward the Agop line....this is getting interesting! Well, at least for me anyway. Keep the suggestions coming guys