Thread: A couple of questions.

User Info Menu

Default A couple of questions.

Hello all.

Last year I started playing guitar again after about 20 years of having given up on it. I have also just started playing bass guitar too last month. So apologies if these are rather silly or obvious questions that I would know the answer to if i was a drummer.

I bought a pair of drum sticks and a practice pad a week or so ago to help with my rhythm and timing (i do about 30 minutes a day)and I have been using some books to beat upon in imitation of a drum kit snare and hi hat. So that I could work on hand and foot independence and timing (i just pick up and drop my foot on the floor to represent bass drum beats) I have also been practicing rudiments, just the simple ones. single roll, double roll, paradiddle and flam.

So far so good mostly. I'm doing ok working on placing the bass or snare beats on different 16th notes (takes me a lot of concentration to get the bass on the e or a though but i'm getting better) rather than just the basic rock style beat and the rudiments seem to be getting better.

I do have a couple of questions I'd like some input on.

I always use a metronome but I find that unless i have it marking 16th notes i seem to slip time after a while. 1/8th notes don't seem to have the same problem with as much. Is it ok to have the metronome marking 16th notes or should i really just have it set to only mark the 1,2,3 and 4.

When i loose time should i stop and start again or should i try to adjust by timing.

The other main question is about my left hand. As a right handed person I'm finding keeping time with my left hand far more difficult and as such i feel it hitching when i'm practicing rudiments or even just trying to play 16th notes. I'm sure that's normal but should i be focusing on that hand or will just practicing the rudiments improve it naturally. Also when i switch over to playing the 16ths on the hi hat proxy book with my left hand i find it very hard to then hit the snare and bass in time. (unless its the simple bass on the 1 and 3 snare on the 2 and 4 pattern.)

I'm pretty sure its all just a practice thing but wanted to check i wasn't doing something stupid/counter productive.

On another note finding it all quite enjoyable even if I'm just playing books as pretend drums. Its a pretty good feeling to be able to play simple rhythms in such a short time (even if I'm sure its pretty sloppy) I've even been thinking about getting an electronic drum kit at the end of the year if i'm still enjoying the practice. Probably the roland td1kv with the mesh head snare.

Anyway. Thanks for taking the time to read my wall of text ramble. Hopefully not insulted anyone with silly questions!

User Info Menu

Default Re: A couple of questions.

You could always do more focused exercises just for your left hand. I'd also of course do the matching exercises in your right hand too.

Keep the metronome on quarter notes. Then do quarter notes into eighth notes into sixteenth notes with one hand only. Then do the same exercise with your other hand. Then do the same exercise with both hand at the same time so both hands play together. Then do the same exercise with each hand opposite.

Does that make sense?
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 55 Snare drums and growing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    You could always do more focused exercises just for your left hand. I'd also of course do the matching exercises in your right hand too.

Keep the metronome on quarter notes. Then do quarter notes into eighth notes into sixteenth notes with one hand only. Then do the same exercise with your other hand. Then do the same exercise with both hand at the same time so both hands play together. Then do the same exercise with each hand opposite.

Does that make sense?
    Yes, thanks I think it does. Just to clarify the last part. " Then do the same exercise with both hand at the same time so both hands play together. Then do the same exercise with each hand opposite. " Do you mean both hands striking the beat simultaneously and then with alternating hands like you are doing a single roll.

User Info Menu

You might also simply slow the metronome down. Students often just try to go too fast in the beginning.
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post

Does that make sense?
    This is pretty much it . Spaz teaches drums and he explained it very well .
    Just remember to keep practicing with the metronome . And good luck with your journey in the music world !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Ulven! Do all of the above mentioned. Great advice. Since you're right hand dominate, the left hand will take some to build up muscle memory and it will feel a little "weaker" during the first phase of you're practice regiment. As you build strength in both hands, the left will slowly feel stronger and as equal to the right hand. Duplicate the hand exercises with your feet too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Duplicate the hand exercises with your feet too.
    Hadn't concidered that as I was primarily interested in improving my guitar playing. But as i'm enjoying it will certainly do so as it will be good practice for if I do get a kit later on. So thanks.

Thanks all for the replies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ulven View Post
    Hadn't concidered that as I was primarily interested in improving my guitar playing. But as i'm enjoying it will certainly do so as it will be good practice for if I do get a kit later on. So thanks.

Thanks all for the replies.
    You're welcome Ulven. Good luck to you and I hope you stick around!