User Info Menu

Default Re: tunebot vs drumdial

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    No way!
    Way!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Yea, I've played around with it too. One of the perks of working with Drum Bum is they let me try stuff when it comes in if I want. But they're just unnecessary, over-hyped gadgets to me. I don't need them. My drums sound killer and I get continuous compliments from musicians and engineers. Don't fix it if it's not broken.
    Ok ...OK ...we get . You don't like it , you don't see a need for it , you don't use it . Your drums sound perfect without it . Good for you .
    But some of us do and we would like to have a conversation .
    I went on the thread about drum shoes and poo pooed that . But then I went out and bought a pair to try . I took back everything I said because even tho it didn't work out for me I did see that there was value to it and why some others found them useful .
    I have not used the Tone Bot and I probably won't unless someone brings one to my house . But I can see the value of it for other people and I'm not going to dump on it .
    If someone feels it helps them get a better sounding drum then by all means ...go for it . Heck wave a dead chicken over your drums if it helps !
    Here's to better sounding drums .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Geez Rudy, I just stated my opinion. I'm not stopping anybody from wasting their money. Have at it!

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

But you have to slide in little comments like "wasting their money.

I don't understand why someone would click a thread titled Tunebot vs Drumdial when they can tune a drum so well they don't want any advice (you've made it VERY clear in a few posts how well you tune your kit). You'r clearly not interested in either of these.

You also know what they both are so it's not like your curious about what they do or how they work.

Short of trolling, boosting your own ego, or just being negative I don't get it.

I wouldn't click a thread about something that I had no interest or especially disliked. Especially to complain about it.

Adding a smile at end doesn't really cut it after a sarcastic or condescending comment if you do it over and over.

hahaha . I lol'd at the dead chicken comment
    Last edited by scottyp; 02-02-2016 at 07:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    But you have to slide in little comments like "wasting their money.
    Yea, the smiley face at the end... Having a little fun with you.

I don't understand why someone would click a thread titled Tunebot vs Drumdial when they can tune a drum so well they don't want any advice (you've made it VERY clear in a few posts how well you tune your kit). You'r clearly not interested in either of these.
    Because I have every right to an opinion and to comment just like you do.

Short of trolling, boosting your own ego, or just being negative I don't get it.
    It's not necessary to be ugly. There's nothing to get. Someone posts, another responds, they converse, it can go back and forth just like any other thread. What's not to understand? Don't get your panties in a wad.

I wouldn't click a thread about something that I had no interest or especially disliked. Especially to complain about it.
    I have interest in this thread. I'll comment if I want - just like you!

Adding a smile at end doesn't really cut it after a sarcastic or condescending comment if you do it over and over.
    Adding a smiley keeps it civil. It's a form of diplomacy. Not sure why you read it differently.

Let's please keep things civil or I'll have to close the thread.

User Info Menu

I apologize . It's tough to read tone or intent on an internet forum. I thought you were just being rude. My bad. If the smiley was legit that is good

No need to close the thread. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

User Info Menu

As an absolute rookie with absolutely no other drummers locally(whom I personally know well enough to visit), I found the drum-dial very helpful as a point of reference when replacing the stock heads on my used Tama set (which was soooo out of tune that it didn't even serve as it's own reference at all). Without it I probably would have ended up over-stretching the heads or maybe worse because I have an issue with relentless tweaking (as in experimenting, not the other kind of tweaking lol)

Now I just bring it up to within a number or so then fine-tune by ear on the bench, and then whenever I sit down to play I re-check/clear the batters by ear for a nice clear true note.

I recently bought a Tama big-black-steel SLP snare.
    After replacing the batter (with an Evans H.W.) I spent several sessions going back and forth on both the reso and batter until I found what for me is the perfect tuning to compliment and contrast my main snare (superstar birch), then I simply recorded my drum-dial numbers.

After all that time spent it's nice to know I can instantly replicate that tone in a few minutes when changing heads (as long as it's the same heads of course)
    batter=86 (just feels right with the heavyweight IMO)
    reso= 77 (tighter made it too sharp and "sterile" for lack of a better word, and looser made it too weak and sloopy)

I have concluded that fine-tuning (for me) is easier and better by ear.
    Last edited by dave74; 02-02-2016 at 11:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    As an absolute rookie with absolutely no other drummers locally(whom I personally know well enough to visit), I found the drum-dial very helpful as a point of reference when replacing the stock heads on my used Tama set (which was soooo out of tune that it didn't even serve as it's own reference at all). Without it I probably would have ended up over-stretching the heads or maybe worse because I have an issue with relentless tweaking (as in experimenting, not the other kind of tweaking lol)

Now I just bring it up to within a number or so then fine-tune by ear on the bench, and then whenever I sit down to play I re-check/clear the batters by ear for a nice clear true note.

After replacing the batter (with an Evans H.W.) I spent several sessions going back and forth on both the reso and batter until I found what for me is the perfect tuning to compliment and contrast my main snare (superstar birch), then I simply recorded my drum-dial numbers.

After all that time spent it's nice to know I can instantly replicate that tone in a few minutes when changing heads (as long as it's the same heads of course)
    reso= 77 (tighter made it too sharp and "sterile" for lack of a better word, and looser made it too weak and sloopy)

woah. thats LOW!

but hey, if it sounds good it sounds good

I go by my ears AND the numbers alot,, depending on the head, snare, my personal tastes it changes..

I play alot of fast fast metal with blast beats, 86 would be tought for those snare hits Im in the 300's on my snares haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    woah. thats LOW!

but hey, if it sounds good it sounds good

I go by my ears AND the numbers alot,, depending on the head, snare, my personal tastes it changes..

I play alot of fast fast metal with blast beats, 86 would be tought for those snare hits Im in the 300's on my snares haha
    86 on a drumdial would be a medium tuning for a snare batter. I believe you are thinking of 300 hz (or whatever the correct abbreviation is). If you could crank a snare batter to a reading of 300 on a drumdial you would have to surround it with sandbags or it would probably blow up the venue....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    86 on a drumdial would be a medium tuning for a snare batter. I believe you are thinking of 300 hz (or whatever the correct abbreviation is). If you could crank a snare batter to a reading of 300 on a drumdial you would have to surround it with sandbags or it would probably blow up the venue....

HAHAHA

My bad, Thought you were saying 86 on the Tunebot.

I have heard guys say they do 85 on their toms/snare all the way around and get a good sound so it should have clicked in.

I should see what 350 on the tunebot=drumdial. although I'd imagine it will not be the same on ever drum as the size of the drum at the same tension would effect the tone.

300 on the dial would 100% cause some serious structural damage to the venue.

User Info Menu

Great post dave74. This is exactly why I bought mine. I needed some reference point to start tuning and with a numeric value, I can hear how lower or higher numbers affect the head.

User Info Menu

Does anybody here find that different brands will give you a different tone when set at the same numbers on the Drum Dial ?
    For instance I was given a Evans EC2 Reverse Dot snare head . I have always used Remo PS3s on my snares and set at 89 on the Dial . When I set the EC2 at that the tone was lower and had way more slack . I was about to take it off but decided to play with the tension some more . I got it up to 93 and man did that snare come alive !! The pitch is the same as the Remo but some of the annoying ping overtone was gone and it has become my go to snare . It's the Pearl Steel Sensitone that came with the VLX kit .
    I'm sold on the Evans for the snare but I didn't get the same results with the tom heads so I'm keeping the Remo Emps .
    But I was just curious if anyone else noticed that ?
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

It makes sense as they are different weight / material.

If you tension your floor tom to 85 and your small tom to 85. the small tom will be tighter with a higher note.

Thats where the Tunebot shines as you can hit the same NOTE rather than tension. but who knows if that note would sound good.

I also found some heads sound better tuned low, and some high. and it all changes when you move to a different drumset too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Does anybody here find that different brands will give you a different tone when set at the same numbers on the Drum Dial ?
    For instance I was given a Evans EC2 Reverse Dot snare head . I have always used Remo PS3s on my snares and set at 89 on the Dial . When I set the EC2 at that the tone was lower and had way more slack . I was about to take it off but decided to play with the tension some more . I got it up to 93 and man did that snare come alive !! The pitch is the same as the Remo but some of the annoying ping overtone was gone and it has become my go to snare . It's the Pearl Steel Sensitone that came with the VLX kit .
    I'm sold on the Evans for the snare but I didn't get the same results with the tom heads so I'm keeping the Remo Emps .
    But I was just curious if anyone else noticed that ?
    Rudy .
    The Evans EC2 is thicker with a 7ml ply on top and a 10ml ply on the bottom thus needing more tension.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    The Evans EC2 is thicker with a 7ml ply on top and a 10ml ply on the bottom thus needing more tension.

Yea I understand that . But I got the same results with the EC1 which is Evans take on the PS3 . And the same with the G1 over the Ambassadors . With me the Evens needed more tension to get to the same pitch as the Remos . I play for a living so I have tried them all on my kits . And I have done a lot of experimenting .
    Just an observation on my part . I'm not knocking one head brand over another . Just pointing out what the Dial said .
    Rudy .

BackStreetDrums Guest

I have a digital DD. Brand new, purchased off ebay for half the price of new. Has been a wonderful learning tool. Now I tune without, but occasionally re-check with the DD. I am amazed how 'right on' it has taught me to be. I no longer use it, but would never part with it. Just one of those tools to keep around...you never know.

User Info Menu

I found the drum-dial very helpful as a point of reference when replacing the stock heads on my used Tama set (which was soooo out of tune that it didn't even serve as it's own reference at all). Without it I probably would have ended up over-stretching the heads or maybe worse because I have an issue with relentless tweaking (as in experimenting, not the other kind of tweaking lol)

I've been playing for a long time and have no problems tuning but lately I've been considering purchasing one of these products for this very reason. When changing heads, it sounds like I would be able get to (or find) the sweet spot a lot quicker than by ear, especially for snare drums.

Also, when I change heads I let them sit and stretch for 24 hours or so and then bring them back up in tune. This might help make this process easier as well ...

User Info Menu

I have and older TTW10 ( Tama Tension Watch) which is the metric version of the DD. I used quite a bit at first just to get a starter number going by their specs on different genre of drumming. Once that I have found the right dial setting for my drums I wrote them down for future reference. Great tool but hardly use in anymore go by ear and then check it with the dial just to see how far or close I am to my saved dial settings.

User Info Menu

How could I possibly have missed another venture into rocket science. Oh how I love it when (as Randy would say) "y'all" talk dirty.

I use a Evans Torque Key to get to a given tension quickly. (I always start with both heads at the same tension as it takes the guess work out of it and I always tune my drums together as a set). I do not take my toms into another room, put them on a Lazy Susan, spin it like a roulette wheel, and hope for the best. Then you tap around the edges to see if the sound is even. If 1 side goes "bink", and the other side goes "BOINK", go back to steps 12 through 34 and repeat. Steps 12 through 32 consist of pouring a glass of scotch and drinking said glass. Step 33 is letting the scotch hit you. Step 34 is go back to the drumset, and start over (something akin to getting married again) using this formula: D=Drum Key, TR=Tension Rod. Place Drum Key on Tension Rod and turn Drum key ( You could turn the drum but it is more difficult that way ) and try to get a decent sound out of your drum. DO NOT watch Gatzen tune a 13"x9" tom. If you feel compelled to do so, by the time you break out your Robby the DrumBot, you will be deep into negative numbers (kind of like my bank account after my 2nd divorce) by the time you get to the floor toms.

OR

Go buy a copy of the Kama Drumstra, which gives you at least 310 tunings and variations thereof. Do be careful and start at page 1 or you can hurt yourself.......................................... ...badly.

If, after all that, your drums still sound like crap, go to e-bay, buy a piccolo, (not too much tuning to be done there, and you won't need a roadie) and sell your drums before you have a breakdown.

OR

Keep your drums, tune them like a guitar EADGBEIEIO, and hope for the best. Keep in mind, grasshopper, that after you go through all that, they will sound different when you move them and you will have to start the whole process over again. Actually, I check the tension at that point by putting Frosty on each tom, hitting the tom, and depending on how far up she bounces, gives me a fairly good read on the tension of each drum.

The picture is of Frosty after a tuning session. This method will not work with a St. Bernard unless you are tuning tympani.

Bottom Line: I have said numerous times that I've never seen anybody come into a club with a metronome and time a band. Also, I have never seen anyone come into a club with a pitch fork, tuning fork, or salad fork, walk up to a drummer and tell him that his FT should be A# but it's only a A. If that were the case, I would have been looking for a country with no extradition to the USA 47 years ago.

User Info Menu

Rick love your replies man they make my day. Looks like Frosty is trying to figure what the hell was all that about lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Rick love your replies man they make my day. Looks like Frosty is trying to figure what the hell was all that about lol.
    Gilles, I just find some of this stuff foolish. Someone said that they tune their drums in fifths. I tune mine with a fifth. Same difference, no, yes, maybe??? There are 87 books out there on various ways to do paradiddles. LRLLRLRR or the ever difficult RLRRLRLL. Books on Linear drumming as opposed to Nonlinear drumming. Books on finding "your groove" and then they play hats on 1-2-3-4, snare on 1-3, BD on 2-4. I guess that 1 slipped past me a while ago. Those that can, do, those that can't, teach. Now that old saying has been around for a long, long, time. I DON'T MEAN THAT IT APPLIES TO EVERYBODY THAT TEACHES, but we all have seen people taking the cash and teaching nothing of value to young kids that really want to play the drums (although it probably applies to every instrument). We have (had) 1 in my old hometown. He must have assumed that I was a trained drummer. If I was at the music store, he would never talk to me, look at me, or in anyway acknowledge my existence. That was because he knew that I knew that he was a lousy teacher.

There are so many books, gizmos, whatever, out there for people to buy, that do something on the most primitive instrument 1 could play that, sometimes, when I play, I feel like that ape at the beginning of 2001.

On a different note. Is it just me or do some of you feel that the pillow guy on TV is a tad too affectionate with that pillow? Kind of reminds me of Gene Wilder and the sheep.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 06-06-2017 at 04:05 AM. Reason: ====

User Info Menu

I suppose it's like any hobby - golf, fishing, cars - there is always another gadget that you can buy to enhance your fun. Some people have just as much fun playing with their drums as they do playing their drums. Either way, it's all fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I suppose it's like any hobby - golf, fishing, cars - there is always another gadget that you can buy to enhance your fun. Some people have just as much fun playing with their drums as they do playing their drums. Either way, it's all fun.
    I agree with you G-man, BUT, there is nothing that can remove you from all the other mundane things we do in life like a 25 year old blonde in a bikini.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post

I have said numerous times that I've never seen anybody come into a club with a metronome and time a band. Also, I have never seen anyone come into a club with a pitch fork, tuning fork, or salad fork, walk up to a drummer and tell him that his FT should be A# but it's only a A.
    You may find this hard to believe Rick but I've experienced both. The first was an artist gig where the road manager would stand in front of the band with a metronome in his hand (he was an a-hole). The latter was a guy, fellow drummer, that came up to me on a jazz gig and said, (and I've probably told this story before), "Do you know there's a wrinkle in your kick drum?" I said, "Yea, how does it sound?" and he replied, "Oh, it sounds great but..." I said, OK then I don't have any problem with it." He seemed discontent with my answer. He didn't know this but I spent a great deal of time tuning it before the show and the only way I could get a good kick sound for that room was to leave some of the wrinkle in there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You may find this hard to believe Rick but I've experienced both. The first was an artist gig where the road manager would stand in front of the band with a metronome in his hand (he was an a-hole). The latter was a guy, fellow drummer, that came up to me on a jazz gig and said, (and I've probably told this story before), "Do you know there's a wrinkle in your kick drum?"
    An alternative reply to that question is "No, but if you hum it I can play it"