Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tunebot vs drumdial

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default tunebot vs drumdial

Personally It took me YEARS to learn how to tune drums. I just had such a hard time.. I bought a Tunebot, a Drumdial, and still sucked. It recently clicked in like switching a light and I can do it very well now.

I think these tools for getting me in the ball park but I used them for learning and teaching my ear.. I made a video of these 2 devices side by side to see how they are different and where each one makes sense.

I know alot of guys say tuning by ear is the only way, but if your ear isn't perfect sometimes it needs some help

It's more or a comparison than actually a video of tuning with the two.

Last edited by scottyp; 12-13-2022 at 05:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: tunebot vs drumdial

nice video review

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the video. Spot on with the pros/cons of both devices. I have a DrumDial and one of the first things to fail on it were the little metal tabs on the calibration ring (circled in red). Regardless on how careful I was, the tabs never really held in place (lightly crimped) which made calibrating the dial a nightmare. The second con about the DrumDial is that the carrying case and the mirror that's included to set the DrumDial on top of it for calibration, is a separate purchase. In my opinion, for the price of the DrumDial, those items should of been included.

Last edited by late8; 02-02-2016 at 12:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Well done!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I was told a glass coffee table would work for calibration. Mine stays in the original box when I'm not using it.

and your not supposed to leave them upright as it will wear the springs.

that is a nice case, but I won't be buying one any time soon haha.

The tunebot app is neat because you can set it to tune to 3rds, 5ths, or specific notes too.. I don't use it like this but its an added bonus for guys who do.

either way, it's great for beginners to have a starting point. and good for guys who know how to tune to double check or assist their work.

User Info Menu

I saved $350 on my car insurance... and $100 on drum tuning as I use what's between my ears. It was free when I was born (Thank you God!)

P.S. I get loads of compliments on my drum sound and have for years. It takes me very little time to tune.

User Info Menu

I guess being self taught, that was one of the things I didn't put enough time into at a younger age.. I can use my ears now and don't need these, but would have never gotten to this point without them.

Paying $100 one time is cheaper than replacing 1/3 of my heads. and I hope to have this unit for MANY replacements and tunings so its not that bad.

Plus its always fun to try any drum related toys and gear. I love seeing the new stuff that comes out, lots of gimmicks but some are pretty useful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks for posting the video. Spot on with the pros/cons of both devices. I have a DrumDial and one of the first things to fail on it were the little metal tabs on the calibration ring (circled in red). Regardless on how careful I was, the tabs never really held in place (lightly crimped) which made calibrating the dial a nightmare. The second con about the DrumDial is that the carrying case and the mirror that's included to set the DrumDial on top of it for calibration, is a separate purchase. In my opinion, for the price of the DrumDial, those items should of been included.

I use to work at Tucson Container/Kino Foam . I designed that carry case and made the first proto types . I have three ...the first three . They were made for Peter Erskine and Steve Smith . He wasn't going to make them part of the line up . But after the first few came out others wanted one to so they went into production . That is why you have to buy them seperate . He felt (Steven Fisher) that if he did include it he would have to raise the price of the Drum Dial and it would put it out of reach for some people . Not everyone wants the case . So by making it an option he can keep the costs down so that more people can get one .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

That's very cool. The DrumDial is affordable. One of the reasons I picked it up first.

Those are nice cases but just as you stated. Money is tight. The Canadian dollar is bad. I'd rather just use the box I bought it with for the time being. That being said The case isn't that expensive to protect it.

For touring that case would be great for easier access to the Dial.

I think with all drum gear customers prefer to keep the costs down as much as possible and he made the right decision.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    I guess being self taught, that was one of the things I didn't put enough time into at a younger age.. I can use my ears now and don't need these, but would have never gotten to this point without them. Paying $100 one time is cheaper than replacing 1/3 of my heads.
    Hogwash. You don't learn if you don't practice. That's like hiring a maid each time you want your son's room clean.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Hogwash. You don't learn if you don't practice. That's like hiring a maid each time you want your son's room clean.
    If I could afford a maid I'd have one for sure. haha

You are correct though. I was intimidated so I never tuned them figuring they would end up sounding worse. It is also not cheap buying new heads. so trying to learn on beat up skins didn't help.

Once you have the knowledge it's actually quite easy to do. If I ever get back into teaching lessons I think that will be something to add early on in the learning stage. It is much more enjoyable playing on a kit that sings.

User Info Menu

I don't know...I've been playing professionally since I was 18 and at first I didn't know how to really tune a drum . A guitar player showed me how . I have been tuning my drums by ear for years and my drums sounded great , I got compliments and showed other drummers how to tune . Then a few years back this guy walks into the shop with the Drum Dial . I took it home and tried it on my kit . I tensioned the drums to 85 . And the difference was amazing ! And I had the same attitude .."I do mine by ear , I don't need no device !" But I tell ya ..It does help me get there rather quickly . Especially if I HAVE to use a rental/backline kit . I don't have to constantly be hitting the drum which annoys EVERYONE on stage . I know that all I have to do is set the drums at 85 and they will sound GOOD without me having to hit the drum once until I count off the first song .
    After that I try not to knock things because sometimes they actually work !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I have the digital drum dial, and I love it. Not that I couldn't tune, but what it does it makes it faster and more consistent. If you have great drum sound and you just want to replace the heads, take your measurement before and after - done. It can also assist if you have a problematic drum to tune.

I never tried the Tunebot myself. Wish you luck on whatever you choose (or to do without).

Stu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    I don't know...I've been playing professionally since I was 18 and at first I didn't know how to really tune a drum . A guitar player showed me how . I have been tuning my drums by ear for years and my drums sounded great , I got compliments and showed other drummers how to tune . Then a few years back this guy walks into the shop with the Drum Dial . I took it home and tried it on my kit . I tensioned the drums to 85 . And the difference was amazing ! And I had the same attitude .."I do mine by ear , I don't need no device !" But I tell ya ..It does help me get there rather quickly . Especially if I HAVE to use a rental/backline kit . I don't have to constantly be hitting the drum which annoys EVERYONE on stage . I know that all I have to do is set the drums at 85 and they will sound GOOD without me having to hit the drum once until I count off the first song .
    After that I try not to knock things because sometimes they actually work !
    Rudy .
    This is very true.. Even if your amazing at tuning. why not have the help. the tune bot is great. because sometimes you cant hear 1 or 2 hz, but the tune bot will pick it up... It is very exact. I cant wait to get in the studio again with it to hear my toms.

and Seforeman, they are both great

Tunebot for home, places that aren't loud, or times you can get away with tapping the drums.

Drum dial for on stage, such as when you get a house kit and the PA is on.

You can use them both all the time, but this is mostly how I would use them.

User Info Menu

Not everyone wants the case . So by making it an option he can keep the costs down so that more people can get one .
    Rudy .
    I can see this as a financial decision by not including the case or the mirror in the cost but I would of easily paid a higher price for a precision instrument with a case. As you know Rudy, the DrumDial is a nothing more than tensiometer and requires careful handling. The fact that a few drummers requested Steven to have you produce a few prototypes cases indicates to me that one was definitely needed. My DrumDial sits in its original beat up cardboard box and I'm going out on the limb by saying the calibrating tabs may still be intact if the plastic case you designed was part of the deal.

Some tensiometers in the science field can cost up to $6000+ like the one pictured below and of course, the case is included in the price.

Last edited by late8; 02-02-2016 at 02:40 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't know...I've been playing professionally since I was 18 and at first I didn't know how to really tune a drum . A guitar player showed me how . I have been tuning my drums by ear for years and my drums sounded great , I got compliments and showed other drummers how to tune . Then a few years back this guy walks into the shop with the Drum Dial . I took it home and tried it on my kit . I tensioned the drums to 85 . And the difference was amazing ! And I had the same attitude .."I do mine by ear , I don't need no device !" But I tell ya ..It does help me get there rather quickly .
    I tried it too years back. I didn't see any difference at all. I even tried the Tunebot and same. It's obviously a personal decision but I just think people have been sold on a lot of hype. It's not faster for me. I can tune a drum in no time and and don't need any overpriced gadget to help me.

User Info Menu

We could do the ultimate test... We'll have you tune a drum.. Then use the tune bot to see how close you got.

I'm JK... to each their own.. I find it helps.

User Info Menu

We could do the ultimate test... We'll have you tune a drum.. Then use the tune bot to see how close you got.

I'm JK... to each their own..
    I don't need a machine to tell me if my drum is in tune. I'm not JK

User Info Menu

"in tune" vs PERFECT are not the same thing.

they may be in tune enough. or sound good.. but that is still different.

I'm always open for improvement though. why not have the better sound if its available. even if its accepting the help of a machine

User Info Menu

"in tune" vs PERFECT are not the same thing.
    There's no such thing as perfect in drum tuning.

User Info Menu

suffice it to say...tuning a drum is not at all like tuning a violin, a piano, or a guitar. It's mostly experimentation until you get a sound you like. A typical ritual for me would be....

Place head on and get relatively even tension all around up to hand tight...then with key begin tightening incrementally in a cross pattern...
    boom boom...nah!

boom boom ...meh!

boom boom....not bad!

boom boom...Awesome!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I can see this as a financial decision by not including the case or the mirror in the cost but I would of easily paid a higher price for a precision instrument with a case. As you know Rudy, the DrumDial is a nothing more than tensiometer and requires careful handling. The fact that a few drummers requested Steven to have you produce a few prototypes cases indicates to me that one was definitely needed. My DrumDial sits in its original beat up cardboard box and I'm going out on the limb by saying the calibrating tabs may still be intact if the plastic case you designed was part of the deal.

Some tensiometers in the science field can cost up to $6000+ like the one pictured below and of course, the case is included in the price.

Well you can have the case if you want it . You just have to order it separate . And yes it is what you said . He got the idea from when he had a silkscreening business . And he does understand that not all people have the disposable income to buy something they are not sure about . So he tried to keep the cost low so people would take a chance on it .
    I had mine almost two years before the case came out . I use to leave mine on the floor next to the pedal at my practice kit . The dogs have knocked it on to the floor from the coffee table many times and mine still works just fine . I don't remember mine ever having the tabs tho , there aren't any on it now .
    He did give me two of the newer digital ones . But I didn't need them so I passed them on to my drumming buddies here . I did buy the first one myself tho , that one was not free .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I don't need a machine to tell me if my drum is in tune. I'm not JK
    Mine sits without the calibration tabs in the box....expensive paper weight. Markadiddle came over to my buddy's practice studio during a jam session with his new DrumDial and a Tama 10" and 12" rack tom a few years ago and I showed him how to use it. Honestly, it was a lot of fun to actually "see" the numeric values on the dial and how that tension setting on the head alters the pitch, resonance and tone.

Last edited by late8; 02-02-2016 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Yea, I've played around with it too. One of the perks of working with Drum Bum is they let me try stuff when it comes in if I want. But they're just unnecessary, over-hyped gadgets to me. I don't need them. My drums sound killer and I get continuous compliments from musicians and engineers. Don't fix it if it's not broken.

User Info Menu

My drums sound killer and I get continuous compliments from musicians and engineers...
    No way! Pics or it didn't happen...