Thread: Question on tuning

User Info Menu

Default Question on tuning

Just wondering how to tune the drum down so there is less resin. I guess I am looking for more of a Thump sound instead of a Thuuummppp sound, if that makes sense. On my toms, just getting back into the drumming world and forgot some of the little things such as tuning as well.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question on tuning

What's up TK and welcome to DrumChat. The thump tends to come from muffling. Just put some rings or moongel or duct tape on them. Instant thump!

Good luck and welcome again!

User Info Menu

Do you usually tune your resin head the same or lower in tone to the batter head.

User Info Menu

I tune mine the same or higher as I get my pitch out of the reso head. You don't have to sacrifice pitch to get a "thump" sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tkhollywood View Post
    Do you usually tune your resin head the same or lower in tone to the batter head.
    Hi TKH!
    The resonant or Reso head (not resin) is a huge part of your sound.

It's my understanding that tuning it to match the batter head allows the drum to resonate the most. (My personal favorite)
    Tuning it tighter than the batter head cuts the decay for a shorter sound.
    (Great for snare drums)
    Tuning it looser than the batter head allows a weird bend to the sound, similar to what a whammy bar can do to a guitar note. (Not my cup of tea, but popular for tom-toms)
    Last edited by CycleDude; 02-02-2016 at 10:17 PM. Reason: I are not speling gud
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

It seems I like the reso (on the toms) a bit tighter/higher than the batters ( resos around 77 on the drum-dial).
    I've tried bringing the batters to the exact same pitch (by ear), and it always sound better to me when I back them off just a tiny smidget under reso pitch. (on mounted toms)
    On the floor tom I back it off a bit more (probably a couple numbers on the drum dial, but I just use ears for batters)

Still learning though.

User Info Menu

Thank you, right now I have them tuned looser. I will try tuning them up a bit to see if I can get the sound in looking for.

User Info Menu

Related but not pertinent, I'm playing in an orchestra and we're playing a newer piece called Blue Cathedral, which calls for a tom to be covered with a piece of cardboard to make a thump sound. I really kind of hate it and I'm looking for the perfect piece of cardboard.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Loosen the tom head. A lot. Almost with wrinkles...You'll get a thump. No cardboard required.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I use a heavier batter and resonate head. That helps a lot along with moongel on both top and bottom heads. (To protect bottom head moongel I place it inside the drum)

User Info Menu

I always tune my reso head 1/2 turn tighter than batter on my toms.