Thread: Replacing cymbals, looking for a suggestion for a second crash...

User Info Menu

Default Replacing cymbals, looking for a suggestion for a second crash...

Recently bought new cymbals. I've been looking for something a little less bright than what I've had for my main setup.

I've been using:
    14" A custom mastersounds
    16" A custom crash
    17" A custom projection crash
    20" A custom ping ride

So far, new cymbals I've bought include:
    14" K hi hats
    18" A medium-thin crash
    20" A medium ride

I'm still looking for another crash, something probably in the 16"-18" range that would go well with the A medium-thin. I'm strongly thinking about buying an 18" K dark medium-thin.

Any expertise you guys could offer would be great...
    Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Replacing cymbals, looking for a suggestion for a second crash...

Quote Originally Posted by Slimdelight View Post
    Recently bought new cymbals. I've been looking for something a little less bright than what I've had for my main setup.

I've been using:
    14" A custom mastersounds
    16" A custom crash
    17" A custom projection crash
    20" A custom ping ride

So far, new cymbals I've bought include:
    14" K hi hats
    18" A medium-thin crash
    20" A medium ride

I'm still looking for another crash, something probably in the 16"-18" range that would go well with the A medium-thin. I'm strongly thinking about buying an 18" K dark medium-thin.

Any expertise you guys could offer would be great...
    Thanks in advance!
    That would be a very good choice in my opinion

all the best...

User Info Menu

I haven't played the 18", but have played 16" and 17" versions. They would work very well with that set-up. Honestly, those cymbals really aren't much darker than what you are already using (at least in my experience), but I'm guessing you don't want a drastic change.

User Info Menu

I have both an 18 A and 18 KD Medium Thin in my setup. It's a very nice downward tonal progression from the 16 AMT to the 18 AMT to he 18 KDMT. If I only had two, I would go with the 16 and 18 A MT, then add the K as a third later on, but that's just me. I think you can cover more ground with a 16 & 18 than with an 18 and a lower-pitched 18.

User Info Menu

Or you could get a dark thin instead of medium-thin, that would be a hair lower pitched and slightly different timbre.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    Or you could get a dark thin instead of medium-thin, that would be a hair lower pitched and slightly different timbre.
    I love my 16" Dark K medium-thin crash.............gorgeous.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I love my 16" Dark K medium-thin crash.............gorgeous.
    Gotta get me one.

User Info Menu

I actually just sold A custom 14" hats,yes they're bright, too bright for me..I now have 14" AAXStage hats, nice hats/nice change..

Mike
    Last edited by myk; 02-04-2016 at 03:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Went in to my local guitar center. They had an 18" k dark medium thin, and an 18" k custom dark crash. Went with the k custom. There's more contrast with the k custom than there was with the k medium thin. They sound great together!

User Info Menu

Larger, thinner, and hammered. I won't beat you up with brand because there are many great choices. Larger generally equals lower, thinner equals lower, and hammered equals darker. Some combination of these qualities will get you what you're looking for.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Larger, thinner, and hammered. I won't beat you up with brand because there are many great choices. Larger generally equals lower, thinner equals lower, and hammered equals darker. Some combination of these qualities will get you what you're looking for.
    Good way of putting it. I find these things generally true as well. Cymbal seems to defy conventional music logic in that thinner= lower. In drum heads and guitar strings etc... the opposite is true.

all the best...

User Info Menu

After further consideration I think I've decided I don't much care got the A medium ride. I'm thinking about taking it back, and going for a K ride.

I've got a gig tomorrow night, I'm gonna try it out with the band and see what happens. Otherwise it's probably going back on Monday.

I play in a classic rock/country cover band, and am trying to get away from the cymbal sound I had previously been with (bright and pingy)

User Info Menu

If you're looking for something generally 'darker', this is my setup and I like it:

Zildjian 20" K Constantinople Medium Thin Ride High
    Zildjian 18" K Dark Crash Medium Thin
    Zildjian 16" K Custom Hybrid Crash
    Zildjian 15" A New Beat Hi Hats
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Had the gig. Played all the new cymbals with an actual band, and here's what i found:

While the cymbals all sounded great just playing by myself, the medium ride was to light, and more or less a lot noisier than what I was looking for.

I loved both of the crashes, they sounded good together, but I found that when playing with my 3 piece classic rock cover band two 18" crash cymbals were way to loud.

Lastly, and not leastly, the hi hats. The hi hats are perfect! I have nothing bad to say about the K hi hats.

So what I've done so far, I've returned the two crashes and the ride. I bought a 16" K dark medium-thin, and a K heavy ride. These two cymbals are perfect, and are keepers. However, I also ordered a 17" A medium-thin online. I don't care for this at all. This one will also be going back.

So now I'm at a loss. I still need another 17"-18" crash cymbal.

Any suggestions? I'm kind of thinking about an A thin crash, maybe another 18".

Thoughts?

User Info Menu

Had the gig. Played all the new cymbals with an actual band, and here's what i found:

While the cymbals all sounded great just playing by myself, the medium ride was to light, and more or less a lot noisier than what I was looking for.

I loved both of the crashes, they sounded good together, but I found that when playing with my 3 piece classic rock cover band two 18" crash cymbals were way to loud.

Lastly, and not leastly, the hi hats. The hi hats are perfect! I have nothing bad to say about the K hi hats.

So what I've done so far, I've returned the two crashes and the ride. I bought a 16" K dark medium-thin, and a K heavy ride. These two cymbals are perfect, and are keepers. However, I also ordered a 17" A medium-thin online. I don't care for this at all. This one will also be going back.

So now I'm at a loss. I still need another 17"-18" crash cymbal.

Any suggestions? I'm kind of thinking about an A thin crash, maybe another 18".

Thoughts?
    Well, you see the direction you are heading - regular K or K Dark series. Since the 18 cymbals seem a bit too overpowering for you, but you like the K Dark 16", sounds like the ideal direction for the next crash would be a 17" K Dark.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Well, you see the direction you are heading - regular K or K Dark series. Since the 18 cymbals seem a bit too overpowering for you, but you like the K Dark 16", sounds like the ideal direction for the next crash would be a 17" K Dark.

GeeDeeEmm
    Yup. I see a pattern developing. You should just steer clear of A cymbals. Also, I would never even consider sacrificing sound for volume. 18" is my smallest crash.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Final lineup:

14" K Hi-Hats
    20" K Heavy Ride
    16" K Dark Medium-Thin Crash
    17" K Dark Medium-Thin Crach

After playing on A Customs for so long I don't know why I didn't make the change a long time ago.

User Info Menu

That is a great setup!

I am using an identical setup at a rehearsal space.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Final lineup:

14" K Hi-Hats
    20" K Heavy Ride
    16" K Dark Medium-Thin Crash
    17" K Dark Medium-Thin Crach

After playing on A Customs for so long I don't know why I didn't make the change a long time ago.
    Perfect. And your setup almost perfectly mirrors my own basic setup. Trouble is, over the years I've added so many crash cymbals to my set that I'm a little overwhelmed. I'm scaling back to the basics.

geeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I have the K Custom Hybrid in 17" & 18", love them both!