Thread: Vic Firth Isolation Headphones

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default Vic Firth Isolation Headphones

I've been enjoying reviewing products lately.

I have had G.A.S for a few years and have so much stuff I am able to give pretty honest opinions as I have tried most of the stuff out there. It's also nice to show products side by side as well.

Here is a quick review I did of the Vic Firth Isolation Headphones.

Just like anything they have positives and negatives. But you can't beat em for this price. I use them for jamming, recording, or just as hearing protection sometimes.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vic Firth Isolation Headphones

I also have these. I use to use them a lot but I've swapped over to a nice set of sound cancelling klipsch ear buds. They are two-three times the price but the sound quality was so much better.

But for the price you seriously can't beat these they are great!

User Info Menu

Ya.. Honestly the price point is unbeatable.

I use em in the jam hub for band jams... for recording. for everything.

I would like to get some IEM's but custom moulded ones are SOOO much money.

My bandmate brought over a amazing sounding headphone setup. the low end was nuts, They were very clear and great for listening to CD's, DI guitars whatever. But once we started jamming my drums in the room were too loud and just washed out all the sound. I feel the Isolation is number 1.. you also want to isolate the sounds outside so when your recording your snare mic and overheads don't hear the click
    Last edited by scottyp; 02-04-2016 at 09:56 AM.

User Info Menu

These things work in any noisy environment . I use to work at a 12 foot band saw and only feet away from other saws and nail guns going on all day . We were required to wear ear protection . The small foam plugs they use to give us were ok but I was afraid to get some sort of ear infection because there was so much dust and other crap . So got a pair of these so I could listen to music during lunch and breaks . My only problem with ANY headphone is that I have BIG ears . So after a while my ear lobes would hurt . But that happens with any headphone I use . So I have switched to in ears on the gigs . But at home I still use these when I practice .
    You can't beat them at this price point .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I never really thought about that. but that's a good idea.

I suppose you could use them for music at the gun range too hahaha.

I wouldn't use them as a goto for my phone or mp3 player, but if you needed to block outside noise why not.

I think a full work shift with these on your head would be thanking you when you took em off

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    These things work in any noisy environment . I use to work at a 12 foot band saw and only feet away from other saws and nail guns going on all day . We were required to wear ear protection . The small foam plugs they use to give us were ok but I was afraid to get some sort of ear infection because there was so much dust and other crap . So got a pair of these so I could listen to music during lunch and breaks . My only problem with ANY headphone is that I have BIG ears . So after a while my ear lobes would hurt . But that happens with any headphone I use . So I have switched to in ears on the gigs . But at home I still use these when I practice .
    You can't beat them at this price point .
    Rudy .

What kind of work were you doing Jedi?

I worked factory work for 20 years and I had to wear the foam earplugs. I never got any infections or anything, but I would change them out if they got wet in any way and I also swab my ears out each morning after a shower to make sure no water is there.

The headphone type protection devices hurt my ears too after a while. My ears are not huge, but good sized.

Take care!
    JIm
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    I think a full work shift with these on your head would be thanking you when you took em off
    I worked in a paper factory for 14 years and it was extremely loud and we were required to wear ear protection.

They ran out of ear plugs one time and I went out on the floor and relieved my partner and it wasn't 10 minutes before I was in the bathroom stuffing toilet tissue in my ears.

The loud noise would make me so nervous and irritable and it actually caused pain in my ears.

The worst pain I ever had in my ears was during an Eric Clapton concert where I was very close to the speakers. When we left, I couldn't hear hardly anything for the ringing in my ears and it was so painful.

Now, I have ringing 24/7 and it irritates me something fierce!

Take care !
    JIm
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

I had a set a while back , they worked ok , but one side decided to quit working , no spare parts availiable , so i never got another pair .

User Info Menu

I have two pair that I use in my lesson studio. Love them.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Squidlly deadlly View Post
    I had a set a while back , they worked ok , but one side decided to quit working , no spare parts availiable , so i never got another pair .
    I had the same thing happen with two sets.

After awhile, the left ear just stopped working..........I think it was a short in the cable.

I bought some Shure IEMs and never looked back...........better isolation too IMO

User Info Menu

I've been toying with the idea of IEM's.. Maybe I'll go that route when I have more cash

User Info Menu

After trying some cheaper IEM's they blow the vic's out of the water.. these are good for isolation but I need that low end.

The price is great. but I think I am going to bite the bullet and get custom IEMS