Thread: Double Bass Pedals and Beater Selections

User Info Menu

Default Double Bass Pedals and Beater Selections

I'm seeking advice..........................

I'm currently playing a Speed Cobra double..............(I've had this pedal for just over 2 years)............this pedal does everything I need it to do.

But I have two concerns about it:

One -- this is the first pedal I've ever owned that suffered a broken spring.
    It is not too difficult to replace but it would be a disaster at a gig, so I carry a back-up pedal to all gigs.

Two -- while using the stock beaters, I went through three 2-ply batter heads in two years.............although I suppose I play fairly aggressively, I've never experienced that either.

So I changed the beaters to some old-style Yamaha felt beaters............I think I get a better sound with these than the stock beaters BECAUSE the old-style beaters are easier to bury and they create a better sound to my ears.
    In addition, I found that the newer-style beaters will BOUNCE more which causes additional problems

Now.............for some reason I'm becoming interested in the MDD from DW (which I previously criticized for being way too expensive).
    My gut tells me that the MDD will be only minimally better (if at all) than the SC and I will still have the (newer-style) beater issue.

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double Bass Pedals and Beater Selections

Check out the new double pedal from Dixon....

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

I would carry extra springs, in case they fail. It is quicker than swapping out pedals. Do you use the kevlar patches? They help extend your Batter heads. Felt beaters can be more wearing on a drum head.

User Info Menu

I say go for the MDD!!! I wish I would have and I wussed out last minute because of price and bought the DW 9K with matching 9K Hi-hat.

I still wish I would have just done it. Although I absolutely love my 9k which was a great upgrade from my 5K.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I would carry extra springs, in case they fail. It is quicker than swapping out pedals. Do you use the kevlar patches? They help extend your Batter heads. Felt beaters can be more wearing on a drum head.
    I carry extra springs...............and swapping a pedal is much quicker.
    SC requires a Phillips screwdriver and needle-nose pliers...........hard to accomplish on a dark stage.

Kevlar patches..........yes, I use those too.............they are the best patch option............I can still break through them.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

Kevlar patches..........yes, I use those too.............they are the best patch option............I can still break through them.
    ANIMAL ! LOL .

I've broken the springs on a DW 5000 a few times . And I agree that it's quicker to change out the pedal than the spring . Been there ...
    I got my DW 9000 at a pawn shop for $200 with everything included ... just like new . I must admit tho that I was very lucky . Took me awhile to dial it in . Almost gave up on it .
    I've never had any luck with other beaters on the DWs . The pedals have a heaviness and weight to them that I like . Just more heft . And when I changed the beaters it didn't work for me . So stock beaters on those .
    I also use a Yamaha Flying Dragon double pedal and I like the lightness of it . Stock felt beaters on it . I have a plastic tub full of different beaters that I have tried ... just sitting there being unloved . LOL
    I would try to find a used DW pedal . Man that's a lot of money to shell out and then find it doesn't work for you .
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

For the new beater bounce you have, try cranking up your reso head

Mike

User Info Menu

Ricardo, are you using SC's wedge shaped felt beaters? If so I can see those punching holes in batter heads due to their aggressive, pointed shape. Maybe the old style felt beaters would be an option?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

. . . . . or get a Drumnetics pedal that has no spring at all.

User Info Menu

Tried an Evans HW with a patch added?
    Probably too dull-sounding with felt beaters (is for me), but with a hard surface beater they sound great like that IMO. Depends on music style of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Ricardo, are you using SC's wedge shaped felt beaters? If so I can see those punching holes in batter heads due to their aggressive, pointed shape. Maybe the old style felt beaters would be an option?
    This. I've been considering a SC single to replace my 10 y/o IC powerglide because I fancy trying out a longboard pedal - but those pointy, wedge shaped beaters look like a bad experience waiting to happen. If I crack and buy a SC I'll probably use the round, flat faced felt beater from my current I/C pedal.

What's the logic behind using pointed beaters anyway? I can understand the logic behind using felt, plastic and wooden beaters and different weights, but selling beaters with a pointed striking area? Do Tama get a commission from the drum head manufacturers for each SC beater they sell?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    This. I've been considering a SC single to replace my 10 y/o IC powerglide because I fancy trying out a longboard pedal - but those pointy, wedge shaped beaters look like a bad experience waiting to happen. If I crack and buy a SC I'll probably use the round, flat faced felt beater from my current I/C pedal.

What's the logic behind using pointed beaters anyway? I can understand the logic behind using felt, plastic and wooden beaters and different weights, but selling beaters with a pointed striking area? Do Tama get a commission from the drum head manufacturers for each SC beater they sell?
    From original post.....................
    So I changed the beaters to some old-style Yamaha felt beaters............I think I get a better sound with these than the stock beaters BECAUSE the old-style beaters are easier to bury and they create a better sound to my ears.
    In addition, I found that the newer-style beaters will BOUNCE more which causes additional problems
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I know DDrum is not a huge name company but I'm super excited they have a direct drive pedal soon. My boss saw it at NAMM and told me about it. He said we'll be carrying it.

User Info Menu

The wedge beaters don't harm the head. I don't bury the beater so I can't comment about the effect that could have. I used my stock beater till it wore out. You can tilt the head so it hits flat also. My flat IC beater has lasted many yr. The SC beaters wore out in a couple of yr. Right now I have wood Danmar beaters on them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    . . . . . or get a Drumnetics pedal that has no spring at all.
    I'm still waiting for a member to post a review of 'em!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/