Thread: Drums AND guitar

User Info Menu

Default Drums AND guitar

I thought I'd posted this a week ago and was surprised no one had commented good or bad. Went looking for it today and can't find that I posted it. Must have created the post and never hit Submit. As many times as that has happened I'd probably be over 30K by now if I'd posted everything I typed out.

Anyway, as you all know I'm pretty stoked with TOTO. They are by far my most favorite band and a huge influence on me. Especially the 20 years I'd known Jeff Porcaro.

You may also know that I'm a guitar hack and have played guitar in church for several years.

With that said, several years back while I was building guitars I used this same song to learn to play it on one of the guitars I had built. This year I finally learned it on drums, (hence the most recent drum video I posted.)

Well here's both attempts to play it in one video. The hardest part was getting them to start at the same time. So here you go....opinions welcome.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drums AND guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    With that said, several years back while I was building guitars I used this same song to learn to play it on one of the guitars I had built. This year I finally learned it on drums, (hence the most recent drum video I posted.)

Well here's both attempts to play it in one video. The hardest part was getting them to start at the same time. So here you go....opinions welcome.
    Great job Mark! I love the color on those Tamas. Blue is my favorite color, so I bought a set of red pearls....

I wish I could play the guitar. I did some when i was an early teenagers, and then along came GIRLS!

I've thought many times about buying a bass and learning to play it.

Take care my friend!
    Jim
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Bish that was great. I'm truly impressed and I also share your love for Toto. Keep the videos coming...

Tex

User Info Menu

Bish, the drums could have been a little louder, but past that, a great job.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Awesome job Bish, now play it on the Yamahas. ......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Awesome job! If you now record yourself playing bass and keyboards, you can make a Robert Palmer video!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Good Stuff Bish, excellent playing on both instruments..............agree with Rick.........crank those drums in the mix!

User Info Menu

Anyway, as you all know I'm pretty stoked with TOTO. They are by far my most favorite band and a huge influence on me. Especially the 20 years I'd known Jeff Porcaro.
    You may also know that I'm a guitar hack and have played guitar in church for several years.
    Hey Bish...............good job on both.
    I wish I could play guitar and bass.............I played numerous semesters of piano and all the mallet keyboards in music school, so keys make sense to me but strings do not.

Last summer I saw a recent version of Ringo's All-Starr Band in concert in New Mexico.
    He had Lukather on guitars and that guy is a monster player.
    Gregg Rolle on the Hammond, Greg Bissonette on drums, Richard Page on bass (and OMG, what a voice), Rundgren on guitar and Warren Hamm on everything else................what an awesome line-up.
    For the TOTO section of the concert they played Rosanna, Afraid of Love, and Africa................all three from TOTO IV..............a grammy-winning album.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

You guys give me goose bumps. Thank you so much!!!!!

I'm working on getting the drums up in the mix. Should be better on the next recording....coming soon.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I don't know why you put down your guitar playing...everything sounded great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    I don't know why you put down your guitar playing...everything sounded great!
    Thank you for the kind words.

It's more my lack of confidence in knowing what I'm doing. I don't know the instrument by notes as much as by shapes and what my ear hears. I could never just jam on guitar like I can on drums.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Great job Mark! Our next Jeff Lynne! Is the original drum track still present on this video?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Great job Mark! Our next Jeff Lynne! Is the original drum track still present on this video?
    Thanks, Rich!

Yes, but I think the guitar recording sort of dominated. That recording was just a camcorder, my guitar amp and home stereo. Sometimes simpler is better.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rich!

Yes, but I think the guitar recording sort of dominated. That recording was just a camcorder, my guitar amp and home stereo. Sometimes simpler is better.
    You betcha! K.I.S.S (Keep It So Simple)

User Info Menu

That was great! I always enjoy your videos sir. You always look nice and relaxed. Only one critique. SMILE!!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    That was great! I always enjoy your videos sir. You always look nice and relaxed. Only one critique. SMILE!!
    Thanks...but....I was...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks...but....I was...
    I must have missed that one second of video where you were .

Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Very nice job Bish.

Up next. Singing front Man?
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PopsOldSkins View Post
    Very nice job Bish.

Up next. Singing front Man?
    Thanks, Pops.

Singing front man? Probably not the best idea if I want to remain in good standings here.
    Signature here