Thread: I think I found my new group last night

User Info Menu

Default I think I found my new group last night

After about 6 months off from leaving my band, I had been jamming with friends and people I met along the way here and there. Nothing really came out of it so in a desperate last-ditched effort, I put a Craigslist ad and actually received like 30 replies. I communicated with a gentleman and without hearing a single example, no direction, no idea what we had in store...he, his co-worker, and I met up last night.

I always wanted to play motowny-funky-bluesy music. Without even muttering a word, the 60-year old guitarist busts out the funkiest licks and sings like Smokey Robinson. Smooth as silk is all I could think of. I just kept clean, Steve Jordan-esque pocket grooves and bass joined along.

Anyway, we jammed for about two hours - we probably could have played a live show last night, I was shocked at how good it was for never playing together before.

We agreed we'd be a power trio. Practice every Thursday on the books. I couldn't be happier at the moment.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I think I found my new group last night

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    After about 6 months off from leaving my band, I had been jamming with friends and people I met along the way here and there. Nothing really came out of it so in a desperate last-ditched effort, I put a Craigslist ad and actually received like 30 replies. I communicated with a gentleman and without hearing a single example, no direction, no idea what we had in store...he, his co-worker, and I met up last night.

I always wanted to play motowny-funky-bluesy music. Without even muttering a word, the 60-year old guitarist busts out the funkiest licks and sings like Smokey Robinson. Smooth as silk is all I could think of. I just kept clean, Steve Jordan-esque pocket grooves and bass joined along.

Anyway, we jammed for about two hours - we probably could have played a live show last night, I was shocked at how good it was for never playing together before.

We agreed we'd be a power trio. Practice every Thursday on the books. I couldn't be happier at the moment.
    Fantastic news Cdeleone! The "You're off by 2 BPM chick" days are long gone! I'm still searching for the right players since I walked away from my last project as i mentioned in the thread you posted when you quit your last band. Good luck with the new guys and I hope we get to see some pics soon!

User Info Menu

It's nice when things come together, eh?

User Info Menu

Yes, it sounds like you found the right guys man. Happy for you.

User Info Menu

WTG, C. Must feel pretty good.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Fantastic news Cdeleone! The "You're off by 2 BPM chick" days are long gone! I'm still searching for the right players since I walked away from my last project as i mentioned in the thread you posted when you quit your last band. Good luck with the new guys and I hope we get to see some pics soon!
    you guys always amaze me with your memories! Yes, the 2 BPM scrutiny is over . Thanks for all the kind words, I hope it turns out well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    WTG, C. Must feel pretty good.
    Thanks Bish. Feels good playing with other like-minded musicians again.

User Info Menu

that's great!

I told the wife after the baby I'll start looking for a new group and this time straight originals just to play. Not even worried about gigging anymore.

User Info Menu

Good thing !
    It is ALWAYS so satisfying to play with musicians that are of equal abilities and respect.
    And (IMHO) it is awesome to play in a power trio; each player has got to have a certain skill set and share large responsibilities.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Congrats! It's always nice to find like-minded people you can jam with. It's all about the music, not personal conflict.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Awesome man! everyone worries about what they will do if they lead a bad situation. But you never know whats around the corner if you don't try

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    that's great!

I told the wife after the baby I'll start looking for a new group and this time straight originals just to play. Not even worried about gigging anymore.
    I think it's a good thing to take a break every once in a while. Although with a baby, you'll hardly have any breaks

User Info Menu

That's fantastic! Everything works out in time. Im blessed to be with guys in a band that are all good musicians and excellent people. When the chemistry is there, it's almost spiritual. If you guys meshed so easily, I think that's a good sign. Sounds like you may be on the same trail. I wish everyone could experience it at least once.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Good to hear and good for you. Hope you continue to have this much fun.
    Tama Swingstar 3 piece 1993 (refinished wine red)
    Ludwig Breakbeats (Azure Sparkle)
    1964 Ludwig Supra
    Old no-name Luan 12x8 tom/snare (refinished wine red)
    Mapex MPX 14"x5.5" snare (refinished in gloss black)
    Pearl Vision 14"x14" ft/snare (refinished wine red)
    Aquarian heads
    14" Sabian HHX Stage Hats
    15" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Hats
    18" Meinl Vintage Trash Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash
    18" Thin Zildjian Crash with rivets
    19" Meinl Extra Dry Thin Crash
    22" Istanbul Mehmet Legend Dark Ride
    23" Matt Bettis Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Sounds awesome, congrats bud.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Man that's great news. Congratulations on the group. Have fun with it.

Tex

User Info Menu

That's great! I'm waiting my turn for the same, while I play with my cover band. The older you get, tho, the tougher it is to wait.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/