Thread: DW 9002 Springs adjustment help!!!

User Info Menu

Default DW 9002 Springs adjustment help!!!

Just got my dw 9002 and i cant figure out how to loosen the springs. Anyone with advise????

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW 9002 Springs adjustment help!!!

you need to loosen the nut on the top part. Then push down on it to free the bottom nut. Once you push down you can spin the long bottom nut

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    you need to loosen the nut on the top part. Then push down on it to free the bottom nut. Once you push down you can spin the long bottom nut
    Same as the DW5002:

you need to loosen the nut on the top part.

Then push down on it to free the bottom nut.

Once you push down you can spin the long bottom nut

Last edited by late8; 02-12-2016 at 01:30 PM.

User Info Menu

thanks for the graphics! #teamwork

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    thanks for the graphics! #teamwork

User Info Menu

Chris, be patient dialing in your 9002's. It can turn into a daunting task and can bring you to the border of throwing in the towel.
    I grew up on Speed Kings and then Swivo-matics on old laundry filled and/or felt stripped bass drums. When I got back into playing and got my dream "trophy" kit in 2010 I got a 20" unported Collectors bass drum and my first double pedal,having always been a double bass player in the past.
    Having always buried the beater in my youth I was faced with a lively bass drum and a beater that dribbled or chattered on the batter head.
    Much consternation ensued... I thought I had made a mistake getting the 9002s.
    I ported the reso head. That helped.
    I dragged out the Swivo-matics to compare tension and stroke and was surprised to find how loose the springs were on my old Rogers. (Unfortunately the Speed Kings were long gone)
    I did my best to emulate the settings on the Rogers pedals and after much fine tuning including beater length and using and experimenting with the supplied optional weights and their positions on the beater shafts, stroke length and of course spring tension.... Voila!
    At almost 65 my hands aren't anything like they were in my 20s/30s but man my right foot can do things I never could in my youth. Lightning doubles and ghosties.
    I've also managed to learn to play without always burying the beater via foot position on the board and an impossible to explain little ankle technique that allows the beater to rebound.
    DON'T GIVE UP!!! and you will be well rewarded...eventually.

User Info Menu

I play heel up to clarify, but with a tiny relaxation of the ankle with the ball of my foot backed off the toe of the board and allowing the heel to go down and the ball of my foot to rise a hair, the beater can come off the head. This is in conjunction with burying some power strokes.