Thread: Right leg soreness

User Info Menu

Default Right leg soreness

Hey all,

I am new to this drumming thing. I play heel down and I've noticed that after playing my right shin muscle hurts a little. I'm thinking this is pretty normal and will improve with time as I strengthen. Am I right? Any tips?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Right leg soreness

If you just started playing drums then I think a lot of muscles are going to strengthen. You might experience pain in a few places.

Welcome to the forum.

User Info Menu

Having some soreness at the beginning is normal.

Pain is a different story. That could be the result of poor (or bad) technique.

Get a teacher, or, at the very least, someone who plays to watch you to see that your technique is OK and that you avoid getting into bad habits which are easy to fix in the beginning, harder as time goes on.

User Info Menu

Just cut it off. That's what I did. I now play with one leg.

Great to have you in the forum Ringo! We should all be honored.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post

Where's Tom, and what have you done with him?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Having some soreness at the beginning is normal. Pain is a different story.
    Yep. Pain = bad. You don't want to develop shin splints. Really long and tough to heal. Get a little training if you can. Play heel up. Raising your seat may help too.

User Info Menu

Treat drums like you would any other physical activity- take a couple minutes to stretch, and be sure to remain hydrated. Speaking of nutrition, a banana here and there might be helpful for extra potassium.

If you're experiencing major soreness, it's worth taking stock of just how you're doing things. One thing that jumps to my mind is how high are you sitting? How far away? I cycle as another hobby, and tend to find it has a few things that cross over to drums... if you're sitting too high, low, or far away, you'll feel it. Drums are also very much like sports in that there's a lot of repetitive motion. The more efficient you can make everything, you'll find yourself with longer, more enjoyable stays behind the kit.

Lastly, and this might sound weird, but it happened to me, too- do you happen to have your wallet in your back right pocket most of the time? Sitting on it can cut down on circulation, so simply moving it to the front pocket may be of help.

Only other thing I can offer about this specifically is to take more frequent breaks or shorten sessions a little bit. You'll find that you'll build up strength relatively quick.

In general, it really pays in the long run to set things up comfortably in respects to your body. I used to try and copy the layouts of my favorite drummers, and that's gone completely out the window over the years because pain is not fun.
    Last edited by MrB; 02-05-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Where's Tom, and what have you done with him?
    We are Legion. We do not Forgive. We do not Forget. We are Anonymous.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I don't have a throne yet so I am sitting on a dining room chair. I wonder if being too low is contributing to the problem?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Starkey View Post

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I don't have a throne yet so I am sitting on a dining room chair. I wonder if being too low is contributing to the problem?
    Playing heel down is similar to running. The stretch and warm up is key to avoiding that type of injury. Good to do that with your wrists, too.

Welcome to Drum Chat. Ignore drummer. I think he's off his meds.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

What are you doing with the right foot and why isn't your left shin problematic, too?
    If you're just keeping time and not trying to break speed records, go ahead and take a break every 15 min. and squat down on your haunches to relieve the stress on your ankle & shin. Since your hi-hat foot should also be keeping time, how's that shin?
    Eventually you will gain strength and endurance. Sitting a little bit higher will help too, and maybe on a cushion. Maybe save up for a decent throne.
    Good luck and enjoy this forum!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

"Ignore drummer. I think he's off his meds"

I think you hit the nail on the head. If he has a warranty stamped on his butt, maybe the store will take him back.

User Info Menu

If he has a warranty stamped on his butt, maybe the store will take him back.

User Info Menu

I had exactly the same problem when I started out. After about 20 minutes my shin would start to ache - I tried pushing myself and stretching the amount of time I played by a few minutes each time I practiced but it seemed to take a long time before I could play for an hour - even at low speeds.

The ache-y shin syndrome stayed for a few months but I did gradually build up my endurance to about an hour.

At first I played heel down as my lack of co-ordination made me feel unstable (if I tried to pat my head and rub my stomach I'd probably break my legs) but after a few months I tried playing heel up. I don't know when it happened but they ache-y shin problem just seemed to go away. Like others have said I think its just that you need to develop a few muscles in your legs that normally don't get much of a work out - but if you are experiencing sharp pains it may be worth checking out..

You need to get a throne as quickly as possible - a dining room chair is unlikely to be at the right height and the may be contributing to your problem by cutting off circulation.

User Info Menu

Also, heel down if you are too close to your pedal it will make those muscles streatch and work alot more. and you are using muscles in a way you have pretty much never used them. takes time to build up..

My upper right arm kills me after like 10 mins of fast hi-hats.. been over a year and its getting better but takes time (although mine is bad technique i'm sure.. im a mess)

User Info Menu

Played on a buddy's kit today with a proper throne. No discomfort. Time to get a throne.

User Info Menu

It's actually a dynamics thing. If you're playing full bore rock, then better off heel up. I mostly play heel down and I don't get sore, even after hours of playing, but I play with softer strokes on the bass. I just seem to automatically lift heel when more power is needed.

Yeah, a kitchen chair is probably not the best. Get a throne or least something that allows you to sit properly.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 02-06-2016 at 06:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

User Info Menu

If my R leg tires I use the other peddle until it has enough rest, assuming you have a double pedal arrangement. I make sure I use gravity to assist the leg kick, and play toe down, so thighs are even with the ground as you make your throne adjustment, then the snare top works off that. Feel is in the toes, not heels. Heels and arches are for balance. Whatever works though, but I think speed is more in the toes.

Check too your spring tension, it goes hand in hand with style, strength, and what you want to accomplish downstairs.
    Last edited by 10Lug; 03-22-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Clarity