Thread: Audix FP 5 set

User Info Menu

Default Audix FP 5 set

I have an opportunity to pick up this set for a reasonable price, used. I've done a lot of reading online, but what frustrates me is the lack of real world responses. Meaning from people who have actually used them, and their experience. Not the standard "save your money and get SM57's".

I will be using them for both live gigs as well as some recording. We dont typically play really big places, and currently just mic the kick, and sometimes snare. Occasionally an overhead. We use a 57 on the snare and a beta 52 for the kick, so the need isn't urgent. They simply aren't mine, and I want to have a decent option if those mics aren't available. Additionally, im attracted to the smaller size of the FP2 tom mics, as well as the FP5.

I'm not expecting top shelf performance on a Budweiser budget, I'm just hoping for a decent sound for the price, until the need for better (or the budget for better) arises.

Anyone have experience with this kit?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Audix FP 5 set

I use the F series mic's on my kit. Would have loved to have been able to get the D series, but for 60% of the price, you get 80% of the performance. Not a bad trade off at all, in my opinion.

I have used them for over 2 years now in a live situation, have no complaints what so ever. A great set of mic's for the money.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by veafer View Post
    I use the F series mic's on my kit. Would have loved to have been able to get the D series, but for 60% of the price, you get 80% of the performance. Not a bad trade off at all, in my opinion.

I have used them for over 2 years now in a live situation, have no complaints what so ever. A great set of mic's for the money.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

I'm now using all Audix mics on my kit. I am in the process of trading up to the D series; I currently have an I5 on the snare, a D6 on the kick, a D4 on the floor tom, a D2 on one rack and an F12 on the other rack. I was using 2 F12s and they do perform well, especially for the price. I have 2 F15s for overheads and I love them; they are super sensitive and when I go with a minimal mic set up(snare, kick and 1 overhead), I get a great sound out front. I got them for a steal and I don't feel the need to trade up on them. Over all I'm very pleased with Audix mics, both the F and the D series.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Dupe post, sorry
    Last edited by worcesterbruce; 02-15-2016 at 02:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I'm now using all Audix mics on my kit. I am in the process of trading up to the D series; I currently have an I5 on the snare, a D6 on the kick, a D4 on the floor tom, a D2 on one rack and an F12 on the other rack. I was using 2 F12s and they do perform well, especially for the price. I have 2 F15s for overheads and I love them; they are super sensitive and when I go with a minimal mic set up(snare, kick and 1 overhead), I get a great sound out front. I got them for a steal and I don't feel the need to trade up on them. Over all I'm very pleased with Audix mics, both the F and the D series.
    Thanks for the reply, very encouraging.

The guy I'm getting them from has done deals with me before, and he's gonna let me try them before I buy them. We don't use the big board for rehearsal, next gig will be in a week or so. We're gonna try them out there, even tho its a small place, if we get enough time during set up. Looking forward to hearing the results!

User Info Menu

Update.... I bought the set, used them a few times. We dont often play rooms where I need to mic the whole kit, but we've played around with them. Good results so far, when used with my regular band.

Last night I did a fill in for a great friend from way back, and he's got more real world experience in gigging than i'll ever have. We only mic'd the kick and snare, he was really pleased with the sound he got out of the kick.

I'm satisfied. For all I need them for, for now, they will do nicely. I do appreciate everyone's help with this. If we get a better opportunity to use them in a manner that will give a more thorough evaluation, I'll report back.