Thread: A Few Q's

User Info Menu

Default A Few Q's

Hi, I was wondering what I could do to improve my double bassing, coordination, and fill creativity. Thanks for your time!

User Info Menu

Hi Weslapootayn, welcome to Drum Chat! What I would want to know is how long you've been playing. That way we can taylor the advice to where you are.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

First try your fastest, watch your feet tell me what action they're doing? Moving backwards and forwards? Is the heel sliding from the right to the left etc? A foot technique isn't learnt 100%, it has to be natural. I can't help you unless I know which kind of practicing you should be doing.

And I will point this to your direction:
    http://www.derekroddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3025

Check around the forum, there are a lot of good foot guides there considering it is Derek Roddy's forum and he is one of the 'better' metal drummers of the last decade.

User Info Menu

for coordination, pratice beats incorporating your four limbs. and for fills, pratice rudiments, that will expand them by ALOT. and try doing pasues inbetween the hits of the drums, just try anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Hi Weslapootayn, welcome to Drum Chat! What I would want to know is how long you've been playing. That way we can taylor the advice to where you are.
    Well, it's kinda hard to say really..I've been playing off and on since I was 12 (I'm 18 now) and this is VERY often and on. I just recently got a new set and have been consistently and seriously been playing for about 5 months. I do have prior skill though so I'm definitely not a noobie. Intermediate is probably where I'd consider myself. When I practice my double bass, my feet usually stay pretty straight. I play heel up too if that helps. Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

I would say the same to a person wanting to improve their hand speed: Practice slowly and to a metronome. Slowly increase your speed until you get to the fastest you can comfortably play, and repeat. Speed up One Beat per Minute at a time.
    O Bailan Todos, O No Baila Nadie

Pictures Of my Drums -- My Last.fm page

User Info Menu

You should just try playing at different tempos, hold a straight one stroke roll at 16th notes on the bass at 60bpm, 80bpm, 100bpm, 130-140, 160, 180, 200 then if you can hold a decent roll at 200 and you're still playing just normally heel up then work your way up to 300, if not refer to the guide I showed you and really pick the one which describes the one you were doing most of the time.

Though if can work your way to 300 using any method, tape it and show us :D. And just for the record so I can feel better about myself (I seem to feel guilty about telling you to play flat foot etc) I'm not forcing a method on you I am merely telling you it is almost impossible to get to 300bpm and not use any of the methods in the guide.

User Info Menu

Thank you guys for all your help! I'll tell you my weak points now. I really think I lack creativity in fills and that's what I'm most worried about, and next to that coordination. I don't think I have enough coordination between bass and my hands. I have been suggested to learn rudiments by Lafirin (Thank you very much ) because that helps a lot with fill creativity, so now I really wanna know some good exercises to do to increase coordination. I could probably make my own up, but if you guys already know some I would love that. My brain must be trained!!! Thanks again guys!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! Now I wanna know if you guys know any good coordination exercises I could do. I believe I lack that a lot too. Thanks a ton!!!!

User Info Menu

This maybe a little more advanced than where you're at but here goes. If you can, try playing rudiments (paradiddles, flams, etc..) with your feet like you would with your hands. You'll have to start very slow. This exercise will help you learn really good double bass fills and patterns as opposed to your typical 16th and 32nd patterns. Another exercise that will help your feet get stronger to handle a good workout is this. Play all the &A's on one bass foot while playing 1/4's on the hats and 2 and 4 on the snare. Play it at a medium tempo for ten minutes then switch to the other foot for ten. It's a really good workout that will strengthen your feet. I hope this helps. Blessings......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    This maybe a little more advanced than where you're at but here goes. If you can, try playing rudiments (paradiddles, flams, etc..) with your feet like you would with your hands. You'll have to start very slow. This exercise will help you learn really good double bass fills and patterns as opposed to your typical 16th and 32nd patterns. Another exercise that will help your feet get stronger to handle a good workout is this. Play all the &A's on one bass foot while playing 1/4's on the hats and 2 and 4 on the snare. Play it at a medium tempo for ten minutes then switch to the other foot for ten. It's a really good workout that will strengthen your feet. I hope this helps. Blessings......
    Thanks for that Middleman! I'm gonna start doing rudiments with my feet now, I think that will help a lot. But can somebody PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me some coordination exercise ideas!! PLEASE! lol. I have a practice regiment, and coordination is one practice that isn't included because I don't know what to do..I beg of you, please help haha. Thanks!!!

Shazane Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA4Sq0mqU-k

Derek Roddy is good, but George Kollias is the best, ever. Learn his technique to get better at more versatile double bass style that can also achieve unbelievable speed. But I think you should master the first two levels of his technique before moving on to the heel-toe.

Now, creativity isnt something that can be truly learned, the best thing you can do is master all of the rudiments and get to know your kit, make sure it's set up exactly how you need it, and be able to play it with your eyes closed.

Coordination is largely in the mindset, if you get to the point where you can play the bass part to a beat without thinking about it, don't think about it and focus all on your hands, or the other way around depending on which is more difficult.

Hope I could be of some help, as a metal drummer.

User Info Menu

Wes, are you wanting exercises that increase your limb independence, or are you looking for rhythms to practice?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm looking for exercises that will increase my coordination between arms and bass...period.

User Info Menu

Yeah, limb independence.