Thread: Installing Acoustic Foam on textured walls?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Installing Acoustic Foam on textured walls?

So this weekend I received my acoustic foam. I bought super heavy duty carpet tape as that is usually used for carpet foam. Apparently it didn't work. I went to the studio this morning and sure enough half of my tiles fell down. The tape is definitely still attached to the wall but not the foam.

How did everyone who has acoustic foam install it on their walls?
    And I am looking for a permanent solution as I won't be taking it down anytime soon.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Installing Acoustic Foam on textured walls?

Try liquid nails or another type of adhesive/bonding agent that comes in the caulking gun style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cdeleone View Post
    Try liquid nails or another type of adhesive/bonding agent that comes in the caulking gun style.
    Yes that works . I think that's what they recommend you use .
    In my brothers studio we used 3M High Strength 90 spray adhesive . It's not like a mist spray but more like "silly string" or that stuff people use to make fake spider webs . Hardly ANY over spray . We used this regularly at the packaging plant when I worked there . Works very well and you can get it at the Home Depot or Ace Hardware .
    In my studio I just used a staple gun with the 3/8 staples . I'm very sensitive to chemical vapors , I get migraines . So I could not use the chemical adhesives in my house . And also why I had to leave that job...
    Another thing we used at work to adhere foam to Pelican Cases and cardboard boxes was hot glue .

Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Yes that works . I think that's what they recommend you use .
    In my brothers studio we used 3M High Strength 90 spray adhesive . It's not like a mist spray but more like "silly string" or that stuff people use to make fake spider webs . Hardly ANY over spray . We used this regularly at the packaging plant when I worked there . Works very well and you can get it at the Home Depot or Ace Hardware .
    In my studio I just used a staple gun with the 3/8 staples . I'm very sensitive to chemical vapors , I get migraines . So I could not use the chemical adhesives in my house . And also why I had to leave that job...
    Another thing we used at work to adhere foam to Pelican Cases and cardboard boxes was hot glue .

Rudy .

I saw another person mention hot glue stuck to the foam. Then they used tape to the hot glue. I'm thinking the tape is still on the walls. If I use hot glue on the tape I could press the foam panels that I already installed back up. I'm going to try that first.

Then on the other two walls I will probably try the caulk. I'll take a look for this other spray glue you referred to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I saw another person mention hot glue stuck to the foam. Then they used tape to the hot glue. I'm thinking the tape is still on the walls. If I use hot glue on the tape I could press the foam panels that I already installed back up. I'm going to try that first.

Then on the other two walls I will probably try the caulk. I'll take a look for this other spray glue you referred to.
    What you said will work . You just have to be fast when working with the hot glue . Once it starts cooling off it gets hard and then it won't stick .
    The adhesive has to get into the pores of the open cell foam . That's why the tape didn't work .
    Also open cell foam does not do good in open sunlight .UV rays will break it down , dry it out and it fades and crumbles . So if you have windows be sure to cover them with some type of UV film . Here in Tucson there is LOTS of sunshine and I have a film on all the windows . UV Rays will break down almost everything .
    The spray glue I mentioned is also low in fumes .

Rudy .

User Info Menu

Spaz, exactly what type of "acoustic foam" are you using? Are you referring to the styrofoam-type insulation material, or to the foam rubber-type of material - sort of like the type used in seat cushions?

I recently tried to install some of the styrofoam-type insulation for both insulation and sound absorption and have yet to find a suitable adhesive that bonds quickly and will not melt the styrofoam.

If you are using the rubber-type foam (specific sound material), the answer is easy - use the 3M spray adhesive that Jedi recommended. I've used the 3M spray for years in numerous applications, and it works like a charm. Just be sure to spray both surfaces, then join them together. The bond will last almost forever - at least until the foam rubber begins to deteriorate.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

it's just a open cell polyurethane **edited

here's the stuff I bought

Last edited by SpazApproved; 02-08-2016 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    it's just a Styrofoam foam type

here's the stuff I bought

What you got there is open cell polyurethane .

Styrofoam is expanded polystyrene or EPS . It's the stuff they make ice chest out of it .

User Info Menu

ahhh yes so I have an open cell and I keep reading about how big a pain in the arse it is because of that. Wish they'd make a backing on them straight from the factory that makes them.

User Info Menu

well my father in law is a big fan of DIY home projects and when I mentioned liquid nails and a caulking gun he was in for helping. So he came with me to my studio and let me tell you I spent almost 3 hours two do the two small walls.. with him we did all four and ran out of tiles!

Here he is marking the straight line

two finished walls

Almost finished 4th wall but ran out of tiles.

So far it's a huge difference in sound. Kills a lot of high over tones and ringing. I'll be excited to finish it up completely

User Info Menu

That's awesome . Nice and straight . Good work men !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

^thank you

I just placed an order for another 48 pack.

According to my calculations I need another 39.
    So I'll have spare and or I will place some on the ceiling tiles to?
    Anyone think I should put some up there? Or else I may just put some at a diagonal like diamonds on the bottom part of the wall for more decoration.

User Info Menu

Spaz, looking at that picture of your father-in-law straight on, that looks like a hell of a straight line.

User Info Menu

Looks great.
    Just curious where you get the foam?

These guys have great deals but I've never compared the "quality" with the stuff from music outlets. I'm guessing it's all the same stuff basically.
    For large wall applications I really like their 2.5" egg-crate in the huge sheets, which is also very economical, and easy to hang.

http://www.foambymail.com/EC2-5-F-CH...rate-foam.html
    Last edited by dave74; 02-08-2016 at 07:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Spaz, looking at that picture of your father-in-law straight on, that looks like a hell of a straight line.
    haha right I caught him at a horrible time lol

Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    Looks great.
    Just curious where you get the foam?

These guys have great deals but I've never compared the "quality" with the stuff from music outlets. I'm guessing it's all the same stuff basically.
    For large wall applications I really like their 2.5" egg-crate in the huge sheets, which is also very economical, and easy to hang.

http://www.foambymail.com/EC2-5-F-CH...rate-foam.html
    I just bought the foam through ebay nothing fancy. I knew I needed a lot and they equaled out to $1 a square.

User Info Menu

Looks really good, Spaz. Thanks for sharing.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

From what I understand, used Pampers make great soundproofing and they adhere to walls with no problem.

In the 1st 3 weeks, you will have enough to do the whole room.

User Info Menu

From what I understand, used Pampers make great soundproofing and they adhere to walls with no problem.

Nothing beats scratch and sniff dampening .

User Info Menu

Damn. That looks great, and I bet it helps a lot. I might have to do that to my drum room.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    Nothing beats scratch and sniff dampening .

This has been true since the caveman days, just ask Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    LOLO ! Funniest thing I've read in months !
    Rudy .

That is why they paid me the big bucks. That, and bringing the ladies in. Of course they left with other people, but that saved me from being married 14 times instead of twice.

User Info Menu

LOLO ! Funniest thing I've read in months !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

I literally just busted out laughing in my office and everyone turned to look at me hahahahahaha that was epic!