Thread: Remo Coated Pinstripes

User Info Menu

Default Remo Coated Pinstripes

Anyone have any experience with the coated Remo Pinstripe heads? I know how the clear sound, but have not heard the coated. Thanks!
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Coated Pinstripes

Only on the 'overtone-y nightmare' snare that came with my Premier Artist Birch set (used).

I didn't care for it much - oddly I can't really explain why. I replaced it with an Evans Dry which is also a twin ply (7 + 5) with a ring of holes to reduce overtones - only 2 mils thinner than the Pinstripe but the snare is much more lively and responsive with the Dry Head.

I fitted the (barely played) coated Pin to a few other snares out of curiosity but wasn't too impressed by the results. Odd really, Ive tried coated Emperors and G2s on snares (both 2 x 7 mils like the Pinstripe) with good results - but the Pin seemed a little too muffled. Don't know why - I expected the results to be very similar..

Generally I like Pinstripes and have clear pin batters on two of my sets - but I'm not tempted to try coated, I think the extra muffling may be a little too much.

User Info Menu

I like them on birch or poplar drums. The coating got rid of some of the midrange overtones that is prevalent with those type of woods. I always thought they had a nice soft attack to them! Mellow as a marsh...
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Considering these as well since moving my kit to the basement with the cinder block walls. Either that or rings, but I like the purity of heads with no extra muffling if I can pull that off.

User Info Menu

Iv been using them on my toms for years , i just need very thick/dense heads so it resists my playing , and i never muffle nothing, exept for very little in the b.d. as i cant stand any of the new still dead b.d.heads , i guess i am old fart euuu i mean old school

User Info Menu

I used to outfit my '82 Gretsch kit with these on top and I would vary my bottoms between coated diplomats, ambassador or clear dip or amb. Warm big and deep, less stick attack.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168