Thread: Hard time keeping Superstar Classics in tune...

User Info Menu

Default Hard time keeping Superstar Classics in tune...

I got a new Tama Superstar Classic kit back in December, and immediately put clear Emperors on the batter side, and clear Ambassadors on the bottom. I'm having a hard time keeping them in tune.

Anyone else have a set of the Superstar Classics, and having this problem? Is it the drum or the heads?

I've already been thinking about putting some coated Ambassadors on the batter side, but i don't know. Is there any chance this might help?

HELP!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hard time keeping Superstar Classics in tune...

Are the tension rods coming loose?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

^yeah is it a matter of a tension rod loosening?

Also how hard are you playing?
    I say that even though I hit really hard but my kit stays in tune.. but it's a PDP/DW

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say that i play (too) hard. And yes, now that you mention it, the tension rods have been a little looser...

User Info Menu

Put a light dab of Vaseline on the threads. Might also try nylon washers instead of the chrome metal ones.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Put a light dab of Vaseline on the threads. Might also try nylon washers instead of the chrome metal ones.
    Just one washer per tension rod? Seems like I've seen some people that use a couple...

Also, what's the difference between nylon and metal (as far as purpose)?

User Info Menu

Try a little bit of Teflon tape on the tension rod.......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slimdelight View Post
    Just one washer per tension rod? Seems like I've seen some people that use a couple...

Also, what's the difference between nylon and metal (as far as purpose)?
    Just one. SUPPOSEDLY, the nylon washers insulate vibration and help keep the rods from vibrating loose. I've also heard guys say they actually make it worse...or break under higher tensions. I've never had an issue with rods coming loose, and I have lots of old drums with cheap hoops. Some have nylon washers, some have steel. Then again, i don't exactly tear up the kit and I always use Vaseline on the threads. Either way, both are a very inexpensive option. I would try Vaseline first and see if it helps.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

They also make an antivibration tension rod you could try out. Little more expensive though as you'd have to change them all out.

I really want to try out these sleeved nylon washers myself!

User Info Menu

Do all the drums go out often, or just the mounted toms?
    I personally don't think hoop-mount (star-cast) is a good idea, but what does a rookie know anyway? lol
    My superstar custom mounted toms definitely need cleared more often than the other shells (ft, snare, bass).
    I haven't tried any type of lug-gel though, and really it's helped me get good at fine-tuning rather quickly for a nice clear smack without warbling overtones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    They also make an antivibration tension rod you could try out. Little more expensive though as you'd have to change them all out.

I really want to try out these sleeved nylon washers myself!
    I use these....................work great

eventually, any lug will loosen if you hit hard enough............unless you use some type of locking device.

User Info Menu

Two things come to mind. Did you seat the heads by stretching them first, when you first installed them? They are going to loosen a lot at first. 2nd, where I live which is a dry climate in the winter and more humid in the summer will cause the wood to shrink or swell respectively.

I'd give the new heads several weeks to get broke in.

I have a new Superstar Classic kit but that and all the others needed some attention from the time I installed new heads (roughly September) until discovering how crappy they sounded (about a month ago). I'm still fine tuning them even now. But it's not just the TAMAs. I have Yamaha and Pearl that are doing the same thing.

In my humble opinion it's normal but most especially with new heads.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Lug locks. They slip over the top of the tuning lug.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    Do all the drums go out often, or just the mounted toms?
    I personally don't think hoop-mount (star-cast) is a good idea, but what does a rookie know anyway? lol
    My superstar custom mounted toms definitely need cleared more often than the other shells (ft, snare, bass).
    I haven't tried any type of lug-gel though, and really it's helped me get good at fine-tuning rather quickly for a nice clear smack without warbling overtones.
    Superstar classics don't use the starcast mounts. They have triple flanged hoops.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Superstar classics don't use the starcast mounts. They have triple flanged hoops.
    They have both, the starcast mounting and the triple flanged hoops...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Try a little bit of Teflon tape on the tension rod.......

Jim
    Teflon tape is used to make the threads turn more easily on plumbing pipes---If the rods are turning it would make the problem worse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slimdelight View Post
    They have both, the starcast mounting and the triple flanged hoops...
    The ss classics have the star mount system, which is just Tama's branded RIMS system. The starcast mounts are different. They're the ones that are actually supported by three extra holes in the die cast hoop.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Even star-cast might not be too bad if one runs the toms fairly flat, but if you like some good angle then all the weight and all the bounce while playing just contributes to lugs backing out, not to mention with all that pressure on the top hoop there just HAS to be some pitch-wobble when the shells are shaking.

The star-mount looks at least some degree better since it greatly reduces pull on the top hoop compared to star-cast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    The ss classics have the star mount system, which is just Tama's branded RIMS system. The starcast mounts are different. They're the ones that are actually supported by three extra holes in the die cast hoop.
    You just blew my mind. I hadn't actually looked that close. Didn't realize there was a difference.

User Info Menu

Actually Teflon tape is used as a sealant on plumbing or pipe fittings.....

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by js218 View Post
    Actually Teflon tape is used as a sealant on plumbing or pipe fittings.....

Jim
    Plumbing fittings have tapered threads--Teflon tape is used to make them screw together more easily so they seal against each other---the tape does not create the seal.

User Info Menu

Okay......

Jim
    Premier XPK Drums
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think the lug locks are the best and easiest solution. late8 wins again!. . . .just kidding! I believe Sonor has the tension rod going through a threaded metal insert inside the lug followed by a nylon insert so when it hits the tight nylon it grips the threaded rod better and all the lugs are equal. My sonor snare is a dream to tune!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 02-20-2016 at 09:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Although it requires more change, you can also try Evans 360 heads. Having my first set on my Starclassics I find they tune more easily and hold their tune better because of how flat they align on the bearing edges.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle