Thread: Anyone have experience with Mapex Meridian Maple set?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone have experience with Mapex Meridian Maple set?

Sam Ash close to me has a 5pc for $359 used..with a 22x20 bass drum.

I currently have a PDP FS Birch set so I'm thinking this is a step up, and sound wise, I like it.

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

since it's going to be a while until I can afford the Saturns, I can still upgrade with minimal out of pocket.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone have experience with Mapex Meridian Maple set?

The only reservations I would have is the 20" depth bass drum. I'm not sure of the width of a regular sized door opening or how difficult it may be to acquire cases/bags if needed - I think transporting it may be frustrating. I must add - my prejudice against super deep bass drums isn't based on experience - just suspicion and there is a better than even chance that I'm totally wrong.

If its a stay at home set, or not transported often I'd definitely be interested. I've never heard anything but praise for the Mapex Meridian series and the price seems good.

User Info Menu

If you have the chance to get it, get it. I picked this up (12", 14", 16",) with a 22" kick for $599. I'd stack it up to my Saturns and Ludwigs. Great product for the price.

User Info Menu

I used to own a Pro M with the 22x20 bass drum. The meridians were pretty much the same kits with a few cosmetic changes. It was a good kit in terms of build and sound quality. It also looked great. Way prettier than any finish the pdp FS series offered. The only reason that I got rid of it was to offset the cost of buying my Saturns. If I didn't have two kids in daycare at the time, I would have hung on to it as a 2nd kit.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I, too, have the Meridian Maple 5 piece "Big Rock" kit. The 20x22 kik is outstanding. Big sound. Any dummer who see and hears this set loves it. For the money, it's a best buy, for sure. I have gigged mine for almost 2 years now. One of the best I have ever had. And that is saying alot after having a set of 1967 Ludwig Super Classic's.
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

If they sound good to you go for it .

User Info Menu

At that price it's hard to lose.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Great drums and that's a great price. Have my kit for about 2 years now.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

have played a few ..nice kits

not a huge upgrade but better than a pdp IMHO

User Info Menu

You absolutely cannot go wrong with Mapex drums. Meridian Maples are amazing sounding drums!
    MAPEX - SABIAN - PEARL - VIC FIRTH

User Info Menu

thanks for all the responses.....unfortunately, it sold before I could even contact them....oh well....there will be more

User Info Menu

Figured it wouldn't last very long at that price.

User Info Menu

WARNING: The following is a totally subjective observation and is not meant to upset anyone or even remotely meant as a statement of fact.
    As we go through our drumming lives we notice some general reactions to different instruments that seem to be somewhat consistent. These aspects of each brand are admittedly not only subjective but wholly reliant on the specific kits we've encountered along the way and their condition, preparation, and brand tier level.
    It may well be total coincidence but when playing drum kits I don't own I've noticed some things I can't so far deny. I've owned Ludwigs, Fibes and dws. Of all the other brands I've played two generalities have garnered my attention; Every set of Pearl drums I've played have impressed me and every set of Mapex drums I've played has disappointed me.
    Again, no offense intended and I accept that it's possible and in fact probable that this is a coincidental factor of careless and/or unskilled preparations and settings.
    I'd love to encounter a Mapex kit that would make me say, "Ah, these are sweet. I knew those other kits were poorly set up.
    Once again, this is a personal observation. I usually stay clear of any negative comments on the forum but guess I feel chatty, or typy today (I play dws these days so I see plenty of them)

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion. We're all the same. One drummer's Maserati is another drummer's Kia. I've never sat behind a DW kit that I've liked. Doesn't make them bad drums. They're just drums that I'd never spend a penny on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    WARNING: The following is a totally subjective observation and is not meant to upset anyone or even remotely meant as a statement of fact.
    As we go through our drumming lives we notice some general reactions to different instruments that seem to be somewhat consistent. These aspects of each brand are admittedly not only subjective but wholly reliant on the specific kits we've encountered along the way and their condition, preparation, and brand tier level.
    It may well be total coincidence but when playing drum kits I don't own I've noticed some things I can't so far deny. I've owned Ludwigs, Fibes and dws. Of all the other brands I've played two generalities have garnered my attention; Every set of Pearl drums I've played have impressed me and every set of Mapex drums I've played has disappointed me.
    Again, no offense intended and I accept that it's possible and in fact probable that this is a coincidental factor of careless and/or unskilled preparations and settings.
    I'd love to encounter a Mapex kit that would make me say, "Ah, these are sweet. I knew those other kits were poorly set up.
    Once again, this is a personal observation. I usually stay clear of any negative comments on the forum but guess I feel chatty, or typy today (I play dws these days so I see plenty of them)
    Fair enough. Having owned a Mapex M and played somebody else's M kit of the same vintage, I can say that set up and tuning definitely matter. I remember the really early Mapex kits and had to overcome my initial impression of them when buying my first kit.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Another caveat is that I've only played a few Mapex and they were owned by youngsters and quite q few years ago.
    One truism I hold is that the vast majority of drums can be gotten to sound pretty good. In my experience the higher end drums require less effort and fiddling.
    Also, depending on what you're looking for, some drums are capable of things other drums are not.

User Info Menu

Amen to that, Bob. Having owned kits ranging from lower mid-level (M) to higher mid-level (Pro M) to pro (Saturn), one of the biggest differences is how much or how little work it takes to dial in a good sound.
    Mmm... Saturns.