Thread: Snare Stand Advice

User Info Menu

Default Snare Stand Advice

In 2012 bought a new snare stand and it is really great except with my new Ludwig snare (7" depth) I need something that can get a couple of inches lower..............maybe a nice heavy-duty low-profile snare stand.

I found a Tama Road Pro that will work..............all their hardware I own is great..........but I know there are other good selections out there.

Any advice and suggestions are welcome.............thanks.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Stand Advice

I own a mystery mid range Premier and a Sonor 400 series snare stand - although the deepest snare I own is 6.5" both will adjust ridiculously low or uncomfortably high... I'm fairly confident that either could accommodate an 8" deep snare and adjust to a height that is comfortable for me if necessary.

I'm not very demanding of my snare stands and don't understand the requirement for infinite adjustments. Tama make great hardware - if I needed a snare stand I would happily buy a Tama Roadpro, I have a Roadpro h/h stand and cymbal boom stand that do all I will ever need.

Apparently Tama have recently updated the 700 series to a newer 800 version with a tom mounting style ball adjuster. I wouldn't bother about this - if I could pick up a 700 series version cheaper I would opt for that one.

User Info Menu

Pearl has a super low snare stand. S930D

Or the Tama HS80LOW which you mentioned is goodie.

My DW is a basket on the rack and I did that on purpose to accommodate my deep snares also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I own a mystery mid range Premier and a Sonor 400 series snare stand - although the deepest snare I own is 6.5" both will adjust ridiculously low or uncomfortably high... I'm fairly confident that either could accommodate an 8" deep snare and adjust to a height that is comfortable for me if necessary.

I'm not very demanding of my snare stands and don't understand the requirement for infinite adjustments. Tama make great hardware - if I needed a snare stand I would happily buy a Tama Roadpro, I have a Roadpro h/h stand and cymbal boom stand that do all I will ever need.
    Apparently Tama have recently updated the 700 series to a newer 800 version with a tom mounting style ball adjuster. I wouldn't bother about this - if I could pick up a 700 series version cheaper I would opt for that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Pearl has a super low snare stand. S930D
    Or the Tama HS80LOW which you mentioned is goodie.
    My DW is a basket on the rack and I did that on purpose to accommodate my deep snares also.
    Based on your comments and my experiences, I went ahead and ordered the Road Pro HS80LOW..............I don't see how this could go wrong.
    In addition, I got a fairly good discounted price.
    Compared to the other HD low-profile stands, this Tama was a great value.

I've got an old Atlas snare stand (that is holding a rack tom) that needs to go to the rest home.............I can use the newer Ludwig stand for the rack tom function and the new Tama to get a perfect snare position.
    Two improvements for the price of one.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 02-16-2016 at 10:20 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Based on your comments and my experiences, I went ahead and ordered the Road Pro HS80LOW..............I don't see how this could go wrong.
    In my opinion......"GREAT CHOICE!"
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Home Depot pipe cutter about 6 bucks!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...

lol thanks MacGuyver

User Info Menu

Great choice on the RoadPro.
    Yamaha's 700 series snare stand, while single-braced, is very stable (I mounted several other items to the snare rim with no issue) and goes very low. Plus it's cheaper...but I don't know if it will go as low as the RoadPro that you ordered.

User Info Menu

Best snare stand that you can get, in my humble opinion, is the DW Airlift 9300 stand. Pricey, yes. But almost infinitely adjustable, heavy as heck, and will hold anything. I bought a far less expensive snare stand to simply hold my practice pad, but I wasn't happy with the cheap stand even for practice. I needed another DW Airlift snare stand. I love them!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Best snare stand that you can get, in my humble opinion, is the DW Airlift 9300 stand. Pricey, yes. But almost infinitely adjustable, heavy as heck, and will hold anything. I bought a far less expensive snare stand to simply hold my practice pad, but I wasn't happy with the cheap stand even for practice. I needed another DW Airlift snare stand. I love them!
    I was going to mention it but not a lot of people like the DW price.

I own 2 of these stands myself and they are so adjustable and well built.

User Info Menu

I looked at the DW9300 @ $159...........an awesome stand.

Slightly less awesome was the Road Pro.............I got it for less than $70.

My current stand is great -- I just need the snare to get two inches lower.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Glad it worked out Ricky!

User Info Menu

I have a snare that is 8" deep and I'm rather short. The Tama stand works perfectly for me. I hope this solves your problem too.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

I know exactly what you mean Ricardo, the blue olive Ludwig stands just didn't go low enough, I ended up with a Road Pro used for $35.00 It was either raise the toms or cut all the snare stand pipes.

User Info Menu

I went with the Tama road-pro-lo myself, and road-pro booms also. Hard to beat for the medium $.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    I went with the Tama road-pro-lo myself, and road-pro booms also. Hard to beat for the medium $.
    So true. I have mostly Road-pro gear as well.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Update.......................
    Delivered yesterday -- new Tama Road Pro (low) is perfect and now holding my deep snare -- new HD Ludwig snare stand is now holding my 13" tom (another improvement) -- old HD Atlas single-braced (vintage 1977) stand is now headed to the snare stand graveyard.

Result = happy drummer !

Tama Road Pro gear is excellent and well-priced.
    I also own a RP ride cymbal boom and a straight cymbal stand.
    All of the Tama RP stands are great products at a great value.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    I'm cutting a few inches off a DW5700 boom stand so my ride will sit lower over the bass drum. Really easy and a heckuva lot cheaper than buying a new stand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    I'm cutting a few inches off a DW5700 boom stand so my ride will sit lower over the bass drum. Really easy and a heckuva lot cheaper than buying a new stand.
    I agree but you know how it is. Some folks have a whole lot of disposable income.

all the best...

User Info Menu

In my case, that move would have been no help.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

In my case, that move would have been no help.
    I'm not bashing you for buying a new stand, it just reminded me of what I was doing with a cymbal stand. That said, I think you could do exactly this to a snare stand if you just need it to be lower.

User Info Menu

I'm not bashing you for buying a new stand, it just reminded me of what I was doing with a cymbal stand. That said, I think you could do exactly this to a snare stand if you just need it to be lower.
    No prob SF..................I had thought of that but in my case the HD Ludwig stand had already bottomed out.
    I'm happy with the Tama RP...............problem solved.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian