Thread: Premier Signia, Mapex Saturn or Tama Starclassic BB

User Info Menu

Default Premier Signia, Mapex Saturn or Tama Starclassic BB

Which kit would you choose between Premier Signia, Mapex Saturn and Tama Starclassic BB and why would you choose what you choose?
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

Default Re: Premier Signia, Mapex Saturn or Tama Starclassic BB

I chose TAMA B/B twice. I love the TAMA hardware and I'm a Bubinga enthusiast.

The punch of Birch and the deepness of Bubinga is music to my ears.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Premier Signia hands down. Why? It was Premiers top of the line drums and the rack tom mounting system was ahead of its time. It allowed the maximum resonance of without sacrificing tone and many have tried to copy this design. Premier did away with the traditional nut boxes and came up with there own design for the Signia line.

Quote- Mike Dolebear

"To avoid complications from a strength standpoint you really did need to mount the nutboxes to the shell, but you could minimise their effect on its resonance by mounting them in the one position where they would interfere with it least. This is called the `nodal point'' and was well known to Premier since it''s the precise position was where all the tone-bars on their tuned percussion instruments were suspended – and when mathematically transposed into drum terms it puts the nutbox a lot nearer the top of the shell than before. So by finding these points and also insulating the old-fashioned tubular nutboxes from the shell itself, the tone of the drum was/is improved dramatically.

Significantly, old-fashioned lightweight tension tubes like Signia''s eventually found their way back on to modern drums simply because having less mass, they didn''t have such a profound effect on the sound. Traditional hollow nutboxes invariably have an adverse, albeit slight, affect because being concave they produce their own resonances to confuse the drum''s overall tone. The compression springs fitted inside older nutboxes to keep the swivel-nut in place also did their best to muddy the water because they would ‘sing’ in sympathy with certain notes, a phenomenon which certainly wasn’t ideal in the studio."

Re enforcement rings on the Signia's which were later discontinued on the Marque line.

Last edited by late8; 02-16-2016 at 11:03 AM.

User Info Menu

Those are all great kits. I wouldn't turn my nose up at any of them.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

whichever one you can get the best deal on.

Can't go wrong with any of them.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the answers. The thing is, I own a Premier Signia. The one you can see in my avatar. But I have got two offers to trade them for the other kits mentioned here. I haven't even advertised my kit since I wasn't thinking about trading them.
    The offers got me curious. I think I will keep my Signia because they are really hard to find for sale and I guess there's a reason for that. The thing I like the most with my Signia is the 16" and the 24". Thunderous sound with loads of bottom. Wouldn't wanna be without that.
    Thanks again
    Last edited by DanielS; 02-16-2016 at 01:25 PM.
    *Yamaha Recording Custom

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielS View Post
    The thing I like the most with my Signia is the 16" and the 24". Thunderous sound with loads of bottom. Wouldn't wanna be without that.
    That would be a BIG DEAL for me too.
    I would keep what you've got.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I agree there is not enough of a difference between them to really warrant one over the other, especially if your trading straight up unless there was a specific size or set up you were looking for.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielS View Post
    Thanks for the answers. The thing is, I own a Premier Signia. The one you can see in my avatar. But I have got two offers to trade them for the other kits mentioned here. I haven't even advertised my kit since I wasn't thinking about trading them.
    The offers got me curious. I think I will keep my Signia because they are really hard to find for sale and I guess there's a reason for that. The thing I like the most with my Signia is the 16" and the 24". Thunderous sound with loads of bottom. Wouldn't wanna be without that.
    Thanks again
    There's only so many Signia kits out there. If you really want a b/b or Saturn, you can always scoop one up on the used market later.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

For me I'd say the Tama. But only because I've played on my buddies StarClassic and it is a fine piece of equipment. Gorgeous wood, diecast hoops, very well built.

I've never gotten to play on the others to know any better.

User Info Menu

Premier went through some rough financial times and ended up being bought out by Yamaha. Sometime in the late 80's they were able to actually buy the company back and launched an aggressive campaign to reinsert themselves in the mainstream. The Signia is borne from this. This was Premiers second golden era and the drums from that late 80's to mid 90's period are exceptional. The Signia is the prize gem. I know a lot about that company/era/series. You better just hold onto those. I haven't seen a Saturn or Starclassic ever become a collectors item and they don't sound any better, so what benefit could you ever gain from a trade.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I would keep the Signia kit, but if I were to ever to switch, it would only be for the Tama Starclassic B/B. I play one in the studio and it sounds amazing every time, regardless of head choice. Those shells are just amazing.
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14